Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here would just love to live out in the wilderness

Blog Entries

Cool Okay....

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I know I said....... but if you truly are 15 years old as your bio says, then it would be irresponsible to encourage you to undertake this venture. Not sure the ages of other in your "group", but minors cannot enter into contracts to purchase land. Parents may take issue with this sort of undertaking as well.

I really do wish you well, but with the information you have provided, and without the involvement of your parent(s), to offer more than that would be irresponsible IMO.
    Crash is right, of course. At 15 you may want this, but maybe not at 18...or 20...or whenever. When I was 11 I wanted to be a magician...when I was 15 I wanted to be a writer...when I was 21 I was going to look for gold in Alaska with my best friend. Today, facing age 65, I want to be a magician...hey...wait a minute!

Over the years I've cooked professionally, sold cars and insurance, and now drive 40' Transit buses. I don't have people over or entertain, we just keep to ourselves. You say you can handle negative remarks so I'll just say it. Please wait until you're either out of the Navy, or lacking that, 21 years of age and see how you feel then. I know, not what you wanted to hear, right? (deep sigh) Sometimes I even depress myself.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

If living in the wilderness (primitive or not-so-primitive setting) was so grand, there would be more people doing it...

Ever get a little worried about storms, blizzards, or other acts of nature? What about wild animals such as bears and cougars? Ever get sick and stayed in bed for a couple of days? Sticks and leaves will be your only protection from the elements. There will be no reinforced walls to keep you out of the elements or creatures. That rat that may be carrying all kinds of diseases? Well he's your room mate. Think you may have influenza and need rest? Too bad, you need to patch your shelter and go reset the traps that failed to catch anything the previous couple of days/nights.

Shelters need work and patching quite often and the need for different shelters change with the seasons.
    The clothes you have will only last so long. Patching and sewing will extend the life of them, but will need replacing sometime.
    Calories will kill you in the short-run; Nutrition in the long-run.
    Filters need to be changed, and metal will wear out after so long of boiling usages.
    Better be proficient in primitive fire making under adverse circumstances. Lighters need refueling and other materials need to be replaced/break.

The wilderness is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there secluded and primitively.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

intothenew Jim John Jr.... what? And no he is not an apostle. What exactly would be wrong with that anyway???

Sarge47 I've changed many things in my life and what I wanted to do with it, but the one thing I've never changed since I was little was my desire to live life in the wilderness.
    RangerXanatos A good mental picture, and I love it. I have thought about all those things and solutions and ways to deal with it have been found.

Quote Originally Posted by darkcuriousity View Post
    ............What exactly would be wrong with that anyway???

I am the way, the truth, and the life.

How does that sound coming from me?
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Understand that some details are only shared with those that are going or possibly going. This question was to get people posting that want to live out in the wilderness. From there I find out more about certain people. Then I message them and talk to them about if they would like to be part of the group. Details are only shared with those people.

Sounds like you are recruiting a tribe so you can be king. Not my cup of tea. Thanks and good luck.

he's 15, the jim jones jr reference is probably lost on him.

But for some reason I keep having flashbacks to the xerox salesman in postman.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 06-17-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Sarge47 I've changed many things in my life and what I wanted to do with it, but the one thing I've never changed since I was little was my desire to live life in the wilderness.
    RangerXanatos A good mental picture, and I love it. I have thought about all those things and solutions and ways to deal with it have been found.
    I understand what you're saying, and and would agree that you'll probably feel the same when you get older, but details might change or need changed. Sounds to me though that you're waiting until you're out of the Navy before you really start going at it. That would be a good thing. Here's an idea; the Marines do not have their own Medical Corps so you could work your way over to the USMC as a medic, go through SERE training, and become a stone cold killer...USMC style! Nobody'd dare mess with you then! Don't listen to Crashdive, he's ex-Navy, what could he possibly know?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddius Bickerton View Post
    But for some reason I keep having flashbacks to the xerox salesman in postman.

That's still a year away. Thad, I hope I have not offended your convictions in the previous. I am honestly cultistly concerned.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Troll.........
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    ... you could work your way over to the USMC as a medic, go through SERE training, and become a stone cold killer...USMC style!
    Don't forget about Force Recon, Sarge47. This young'un may have already met the first requirement.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Ah but rick, sometimes I find it funny to troll the trolls.

The thing I don't get is why people would bother to worry about people wanting to live free in the woods or on the homestead or in the city.

Are there that many control nuts running around that they have to want to rule the world and everyone in it. (rhetorical question I know)

The older I get the funnier it gets to watch people try to manipulate others for their own aggrandizement.

More funny here, because most are members of the don't **** me jack crowd to begin with.

Thad
    Thaddius Bickerton

intothenew sounds conceited, but not something to watch out for.
    Thaddius Bickerton I don't even want to be "king" or leader of any sort. Someone with more experience should be the leader when we arrive. I'm just trying to organize it and find people with the same interest. It may be funny to you, but saying I'm trying to manipulate people isn't funny to me. Thanks

Blog Entries

Cool No?

I don't even want to be "king"...
    Queen maybe? No?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I would love to do it and am finally getting my wife on board with it. The problem is finding the right place! The place needs to be up wind of military bases and key areas of population. We bought an old 1830's homestead with a great hand dug well that was done 150 years ago and has never gone dry. Tha soil has not been turned in 25 years and is a great black rich farm land. Everything ready to go!!! Then came father time heart attack at 43 and stroke at 47. So the new place has a hospital really close.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

crashdive123 It will take a few years to plan and find the perfect land plus find enough people, so I will be plenty old enough by the time we go buy the land.
    Enough people to what? You hate society yet you are wanting to bring society to the wilderness to surround yourself with? Enough people to pay for your land? Enough people to hunt, fish, garden, preserve, build?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

There's none so blind as those who will not see.
    (That about sums it up for me here.)

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    There's none so blind as those who will not see.
    (That about sums it up for me here.)
    Ahhh Ms B, this is why we call them CHILDREN!

Another of them that feels the wilderness is something you survive to and not survive from.

Were this person an adult we would be talking about narcicistic illusions of grandor and sociopathic thought processes.

What is being planned is not wilderness survival, it is a city in the jungle with a washtub of koolaid.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Koolaid? Count me in. I love Koolaid.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have always wanted to run off and live in the woods. But, I got married and had kids. A year in Iraq without them made me really consider what makes me happy. Being with my wife is where I find the most happiness. My plans haven't changed to run off and live in the woods, but the method I take has. For now, I live close by wilderness area and take my family and my scout troop camping and backpacking as much as I can. I love the wilderness and I love being in it. But, I also like the modern world with all it's conveniences. I figure, why not have both. Eventually I will get a "place" and retire there when I want to.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I have always wanted to run off and live in the woods. But, I got married and had kids. A year in Iraq without them made me really consider what makes me happy. Being with my wife is where I find the most happiness. My plans haven't changed to run off and live in the woods, but the method I take has. For now, I live close by wilderness area and take my family and my scout troop camping and backpacking as much as I can. I love the wilderness and I love being in it. But, I also like the modern world with all it's conveniences. I figure, why not have both. Eventually I will get a "place" and retire there when I want to.
    A very normal secquence of life events and normal progression to maturity.

And I'll bet that "place in the woods" will have running water and a flush toliet too!

And there is not a thing wrong with that.

When I started the rework of the place I am in now the first thing I did was hook up the water and electric and the first room in the house I got in operating order was the bathroom. I might have been living in the woods in an RV but I had a working shower and toliet!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?