Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here would just love to live out in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by darkcuriousity View Post
    Erm... it's not that we hate society. It's just not the way we want to live.
    I truly do wish you well. The bio you provided (in part) gives us a bit of a window to peer through.
    What is there to say. I hate everything about society today. I can and will live in the woods after I become a navy nurse for 10 years.
    I can say with a certainty that the Navy (or any other branch of the Military) is not the place for you. I know you are young and that your views may change, but unless they do I do not believe the Military is a good option for you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Huh?

Erm... it's not that we hate society. It's just not the way we want to live.
    This is from your "bio" on your profile: "Biography:
    What is there to say. I hate everything about society today. I can and will live in the woods after I become a navy nurse for 10 years. I am researching medicine plants and plan to become "expert" at medicine plants and familiar with edible plants."

That sounds like you hate it to me.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 06-17-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sure a part of me wants to. I think everyone here dreams of it from time to time. Would I welcome the change, sure for a few days. I think those who have actually gone out there and spent any time in the "wilderness" knows how difficult it would be. So those are the ones who would rather live the way they are know. Few people can actually survive out there, and I doubt I am one of them. The worst mistake one can make is to over estimate their capabilities, Chis McCandless comes to mind.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    The worst mistake one can make is to over estimate their capabilities, Chis McCandless comes to mind.
    Houdini and Leonidas I both come to mind. Just sayin'......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Wishing you all the bests. Sorry that you got dogged on here. With hard work and a positive mindset, you can accomplish what you want! Stay safe and take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Warheit View Post
    Wishing you all the bests. Sorry that you got dogged on here. With hard work and a positive mindset, you can accomplish what you want! Stay safe and take care.
    I tend to disagree with the "got dogged on here" statement. Here's why. When a fifteen year old talks about ditching society and running off to the woods forever, has no gear, has no skills, may take others with him that possess the same skill set - I feel that encouraging him to "go for it" is not only irresponsible, but could potentially cause harm to somebody that may rely on the advice they receive here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool +1!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I tend to disagree with the "got dogged on here" statement. Here's why. When a fifteen year old talks about ditching society and running off to the woods forever, has no gear, has no skills, may take others with him that possess the same skill set - I feel that encouraging him to "go for it" is not only irresponsible, but could potentially cause harm to somebody that may rely on the advice they receive here.
    Let us not forget the S & R folks who put their life in danger when they have to go out and rescue these people. Whenever one of these pops up I tend to stay on the "negative" side. They usually ignore the negative answers anyway because it's not what they want to hear. But I always "err on the side of caution.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Some of us have the desire to be "out in the wilderness" more then others and for many different reasons. But I really believe that if you are going out to the wilderness because you are running away from something, be that society, a miserable existence, ex wife, etc. then you will not be happy "out there" either. Some people are just unhappy and feel the need to blame something or someone. Society is often the scapegoat of the miserable but when the unhappiness comes from within, location really doesn't resolve that.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Blog Entries

Cool Things to consider.

In living in the wilderness here's some food for thought:

1.) Wild edibles are not that plentiful anymore, and seasonal at best. Gardening is the best answer.

2.) Besides vegetation you will need meat and fish.

3.) It is illegal to just "squat" on public land for very long. Better to buy your own secluded property, that way you can do what you want without worrying about anything but paying the property tax.

4.) If you plan on hunting and fishing make sure you have all of the legal paperwork you will need. Game wardens are not very understanding.

5.) If you decide to move to Alaska and you meet up with an old fart who wants to sell you a door-less out house, run like hell!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I went back through each of the posts and other that a couple of jokes no one dogged the OP. In fact, this thread stayed on track longer and better than most do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I always find it amusing when people want to "shuck it all" and go live forever out in the "wilderness," just hunting and gathering and communing with Nature, having no more worries or needs. They never seem to understand that there are rules and regulations and laws they have to obey "out in the Wilderness," just as "back in Society." They seem to think they'll be able to hide their camp and just disappear.

Nope. Ain't a'gonna happen.

A couple of years ago, my partner and I were scouting for elk in a remote area of the Boise Nat'l. Forest. We were camped along a creek off a really rough, old logging road, and scouting various drainages each day. I was about ten miles back up a drainage, alone. My partner was in another drainage several miles away. I had not seen a soul for a couple days other than my partner.

Suddenly from way up the canyon, I see a man walking toward me carrying a backpack. After awhile we met. He was a U.S. Forest Ranger. He'd been waaaaay back up in that drainage, and several others, moving his camp, keeping watch for people who might be trying to do what "Dark Curiosity" wants to do: get away from Society forever and live out in the wilderness, free with no worries.

This picture shows the very remote, rugged canyon where I met the Ranger, who by the way, was a sworn Federal officer, Glock and all. He was friendly and we talked of elk hunting, locations, etc.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Anyone who thinks that he is going to go live out in the remote wilderness and no regulations officer will find him, is living in fantasy land. The officers not only get around their districts, they know almost every square inch of it.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 06-17-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Correct typo.

Details are for those who are joining me and my group.

Sarge47 Not liking society is not the reason that we want to leave though. It's true I hate society, but I personally want to live in the wilderness, just because that's the way I want to live.
    crashdive123 who said anything about no gear or that the people coming with me have no experience! Most people that are coming already are well trained in the bush. I have a wilderness survival expert that wants to come and can train others with limited experience! I'm not stupid. oh and I'm not a boy either...
    Sarge47 negative comments is actually what I want to hear. It keeps my head in check and makes me focus on issues about my ideas I may not of otherwise thought about.
    Seniorman not all woods have forest rangers patrolling around, and besides we're going to be buying the land. We just have to find out what we'll do about taxes.

Details are for those who are joining me and my group.
    Yet you want meaningful answers. I will wish you well and leave it at that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Understand that some details are only shared with those that are going or possibly going. This question was to get people posting that want to live out in the wilderness. From there I find out more about certain people. Then I message them and talk to them about if they would like to be part of the group. Details are only shared with those people.

DARKCURIOSITY - "... Seniorman not all woods have forest rangers patrolling around, and besides we're going to be buying the land."
    If you own your own wilderness property, that changes the ball game, of course.

I've been bustin' the boonies for many, many years, all over the west, part of the southwest, and the Ozarks of Arkansas and Missouri, in many very remote areas. I've not been in one yet where there was not a presence of a ranger or official of some kind, both Federal and State lands. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they are not there.

Good luck with your plans.

S.M.

Blog Entries

Cool Good...

Sarge47 Not liking society is not the reason that we want to leave though. It's true I hate society, but I personally want to live in the wilderness, just because that's the way I want to live.
    crashdive123 who said anything about no gear or that the people coming with me have no experience! Most people that are coming already are well trained in the bush. I have a wilderness survival expert that wants to come and can train others with limited experience! I'm not stupid. oh and I'm not a boy either...
    Sarge47 negative comments is actually what I want to hear. It keeps my head in check and makes me focus on issues about my ideas I may not of otherwise thought about.
    Seniorman not all woods have forest rangers patrolling around, and besides we're going to be buying the land. We just have to find out what we'll do about taxes.
    DC, I'm truly glad that you are buying the land and keeping everything legal. I'm equally happy that you have experienced people with you. That is, however, the tip of the iceberg. Getting along out in the woods may be another concern but I'll leave that to you and your group to work on. There are people on this site that DO live out in the woods. Sourdough, Mountain Mama, Rick(but only because no one can stand to be around him when he wears his hong... ) Anyway, truly wishing you and your group well as long as we're looking at people doing it right. There was these two guys from Canada who showed up a few years back and were planning on going into the Boreal Forest for 30 days with nothing else but their knives and the clothes on their backs...they headed home in half that time; cold, miserable, and starving. Understand we get more of those than we do those that know how to do it right; I hope that you're doing it right, then it should be a rewarding life...with a lot of hard work of course! I always say, take me as the "devil's advocate and let it all come out here, not in the woods when it's too late! No better way to be prepared than to try it all out in the furnace first and see just how much heat it can take! At least you didn't call it "survival," I'm grateful for that.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I know I said.......
    I will wish you well and leave it at that.
    but if you truly are 15 years old as your bio says, then it would be irresponsible to encourage you to undertake this venture. Not sure the ages of other in your "group", but minors cannot enter into contracts to purchase land. Parents may take issue with this sort of undertaking as well.

I really do wish you well, but with the information you have provided, and without the involvement of your parent(s), to offer more than that would be irresponsible IMO.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

...........I have a wilderness survival expert............
    OK, Ok, I'm a little slow on the uptake. I think I understand now, we can be negative and no harm done. The name of this "wilderness survival expert" wouldn't happen to be Jim Jones Jr. would it?

Be careful of an Apostle.

And be even more careful of a subordinate Apostle.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

crashdive123 It will take a few years to plan and find the perfect land plus find enough people, so I will be plenty old enough by the time we go buy the land.