Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Growing Tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Here's a link to homemade chewing tobacco.

http://tomahawksadventuretravel.blog...g-tobacco.html
    That's great, I'm not much of a chew guy, but if the bacci is as harsh as folks claim, I may try that. Interesting that the recipe calls for boiling the leaves w/ green tea to remove some of the nicotine. I wonder why anyone would chew tobacco if not for the nicotine.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainmark View Post
    That's great, I'm not much of a chew guy, but if the bacci is as harsh as folks claim, I may try that. Interesting that the recipe calls for boiling the leaves w/ green tea to remove some of the nicotine. I wonder why anyone would chew tobacco if not for the nicotine.
    No one drives their as fast as they it will go all the time..........Balance and moderation in all things......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

For smoking I would try processing it as it is done for the chewing tobacco but without the sugar. Too much sugar is bad for ya. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    Too much sugar is bad for ya.
    You are one sick puppy. You know that don't you?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I remember my Great grandad, born in 1865, making his own chew.

He would strip out the leaf and press it with an old fasioned flat iron. He then brushed a mixture of sargum molasses, spices and pepper with a paint brush, then added anothe layer of leaf and press with the hot iron again. He would do that until it was about 3/8 inch thick, then fold the whole long ways, roll it like a rope and hang it over a stick. As it dried it would curl around itself and form the twist.

http://www.snuffstore.co.uk/chewing-tobacco-c-82.html

You could leave the stack of leaf flat and cut it into squares and have "plug" tobacco. The names were very memorable; Cannonball, Red Mule, Apple, Horseshoe.

When I was a kid it was still customary for men to chew even if they did not smoke. Almost every older man had a twist of chew in his pocket and if you went visiting an elderly man, who did not get out much, it was considered good manners to take him a twist of tobacco. One of the old southern customs no longer followed or expected.

In election years tobacco twists were part of the campaign process. Politicians would stop at the country store and pass around a twist and anyone standing around on the porch would cut off a chew with their pocketknife.

I remember that several of my professors in college still chewed tobacco as they lectured, occasionally making a trip to spit out the window or into the trash can.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-16-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Very nice Ratshooter. I had no idea it was customary to bring a elderly man a twist of chew but I would bring my uncle Foster a twist when I visited. He was from virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You are one sick puppy. You know that don't you?
    Don't worry, twinkies are on the safe list.

My grandfather chewed all his life and every day. Dad said they raised tobacco when he was a kid but I know nothing about it. Even well into his 90's he had a coffee can for a spittoon.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Odd thing is that women would sneek a chew on occasion and many women in the country took snuff. Back then snuff was not the tame wuzzy stuff we have today. It was dried powdered tobacco with spices added. The official name was Scottish snuff. It was packaged in clear glass containers that ranged from the size of a juice glass to the size of an ice tea tumbler. You always knew when your host was a snuff user. The drinks were served in these very identifyable classes.

I have read of country schools that had "smoke breaks" through the day so the students could have their pipe of tobacco. Nope not highschool, these kids were elementary school age. Smoking was almost universal with infants getting a hit off mom's pipe on occasion.

Tobacco raising and its use was a whole culture in itself that has been lost to political correctness.

I often watch the oldies network on TV and it catches my eye every time I see Rod Stirling or some other figure with a cigerette lit and smoking as they do their presentation.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

KS, thanks, that's a lot of good and interesting history!

Just thought I'd let ya'll know that the seeds have germinated! Got me some little seedlings popping up. Now I just have to pray they go to seed before frost.

No prob if they don't, I only used a few of them for this expirament.

ty all for the birthday wishes. Tobacco. I grow a natural homegrown american variety used in some native american rituals, just for fun. Tobaccana rustica. Supposedly one of the hghest nicotine level of the natural tobaccos. I smoke marlborough cigs and it ain't impressed me... but if any want seeds... no prob. just pm me with addy and I'll send ya some from the last harvest. I live in fla and have planted em almost year round with no prob...the sandy soil here stinks so did use a potting soil and noticed they grow alot better with some hardwood ashes added to the soil (used burned oak ash)...I use rabbit manure for all purpose fertilizer at my place besides.
    if ya want some pm asap with an addy and I'll gladly mail ya some, as I may be away for a while after the end of the month.
    D.O.M.
    Last edited by Durtyoleman; 06-18-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Tobacco is a great insect repelant for plants. I wanted to grow some this next season just for my gardens and orchard. I use tobacco to make a "tea" out of and spray it on plants and trees. Stinks to high heaven, but keeps the bugs off plants.