Thread: To take the fiddle or not?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Default To take the fiddle or not?

This week we leave for Chickenstock, a music festival out in the wilderness. It's our annual vacation. I'm wondering whether to take my fiddle or not. On one hand, it might be fun to play with a variety of others who may or may not congregate around the campfires. But really, how much could I actually play WITH anyone? On the other hand, I'm still terribly self conscious about playing in front of other. I know, practice makes perfect. I only know short tunes for the most part. I've only started playing last November. All the songs I like to play and can play well, if played one after another really only lasts about 20 minutes. It will be a bit of a hassle to bring it. So would you suggest I just wait till next year when I know I'll be more comfortable?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

"So would you suggest I just wait till next year when I know I'll be more comfortable?"

Sure.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

You might also find that the more seasoned players might be willing to work with you and offer some pointers. When a group is just jamming not everyone knows the songs or has the same skill level but that doesn't mean you can't play a few chords on the songs you don't know. Sitting around a fire playing music is about the music but it's a lot more about the fellowship through the music. Just tell them where you are and follow their lead. If you aren't comfortable doing it the worst that happens is you put your fiddle away and enjoy the music. Everyone started out at some point so they understand how you feel.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Bring it.

Not only will you have fun, but you may learn more on this trip than you bargained for.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bring it.
    Most likely, you'll be glad you had it and might regret not bringing it along.
    It's not about how good you are but the bonding experience of playing together.

I say bring it.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Bring it. Once you are there and have a sense of the environment then you can decide to break out the fiddle or not. I have attended a few jam sessions and wished I would have brought my banjo mostly due to the fact there were quite a few experenced pickers that were helping and advising those with the least amount of expereince.

If you don't bring it....you will wish you did, so if you leave it in the case...so what,.... but I'm thinking you will learn more and have fun doing it when you have like minded helpful people around.

Besides, always remember, "Enthusiasm and liquor always out weighs experiance and good sense!"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

What Hunter said
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Hunter, You're like Ben Franklin. You should start printing Poor Hunter's Almanac. You could offer wisdom like....

Always avoid honey do jobs by the light of the moon.
    Nekkid bullet casting made easy.

I reckon I've fallen victim to the enthusiasm and liquor saying once too often.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have to go along with Hunter63's advice.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I asked my instructor and she said "by all means bring it!" Yep no telling who or what will be going on around the campfires. So, looks like it will be making it's first trip to the bush. After Chickenstock is over, we drive a "mere" 3 more hours, park on the River, where our friends pick us up in the boat, go up the river 7 miles, park the boat, take the ATVs a few more miles up the trail to their hand built cabin. It's my favorite place in the world and I can't wait. You can read about our "Fowl Adventures" through my blog or just doing a search.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Ya, definitely take it! Playing with other people is great practice, nobody will care if it doesn't sound great most musicians like helping others learn how to play an instrument.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

If you're gonna play in Texas you gotta have a fiddle in the band. Presumably for other venues the presence of said instrument is optional.

Banned

Of course you should bring it! I'll bring my mandolin and guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    If you're gonna play in Texas you gotta have a fiddle in the band. Presumably for other venues the presence of said instrument is optional.
    The lead guitar is hot, but not for a Louisiana man!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Hey, don't make me dust off my boots and put my cowboy hats on straight!

That right there shows the difference between you young fellahs and us old guys. I dust off my hat and make certain my boots are on straight.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Take it, you will want it if you don't.

It will make scraping acquaintance so much nicer. and someone will sure enough be there who will share something you need to know.

JMTC< YMMV

Thad
    Thaddius Bickerton