Thread: Anyone got a Geiger counter?

Default Anyone got a Geiger counter?

I want to see if I'm emitting anything...

Had a dose of radiation therapy today for a thyroid problem so I have some contamination precautions to deal with. Nothing difficult, but sure are annoying. Gotta flush twice and put paper on the seat like I'm in a public restroom. Can't prepare food for anyone and gotta wash my dishes separately. I'd be bothered that I can't kiss or sleep with anyone for a few days, but that's a moot point for me right now... lol
    The funny thing is I have to carry a card for 3 months because there is a chance I can set of sensors and such at airports, though the doc said there is no way I would still be setting them off in 3 months. He doubts I would at all based on my dose.

Basically, for a couple of days, as the body flushes the excess RAI (radioactive iodine) I have to be aware of bodily fluids (sweat, saliva, pee, etc). Basically someone could pick up some particles from things I've touched or peed on. Thankfully it was a rather low dose so the precautions are minimal and short lived. I think its 2 days of contact precautions, then a few more for proximity precautions.

I just hope it takes. There is a chance I will have to go through this again if the dose doesn't take or was insufficient.

Any of you out there that have thyroid problems or knows someone who dose, you have my sympathy. It's a royal PITA

Hoping you have a complete and speedy recovery.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks Crash. Not sure how speedy it will be though since by definition of what I had done, it takes a while to work. Hoping to see the first signs that its taking affect in about a week to two. I actually don't want it to work too fast because then its hard to medicate properly.

No I don't.....and I guess I hadn't heard of all the shut you have to go thru with a treatment like that.

Prayers and good thoughts on a speedy recovery, man, that sounds like it really sucks........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

just a heads up; you can detect high energy radiation with a CMOS camera. there's even an app for it.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

don't know anything about that,my prayers are with you

I thought I saw a glow from the NE!

On a serious note, I hope that everything goes well for you and that treatment goes as planned.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Thanks everyone. Its more a pain than anything else.

To be on theme, guess I got one more issue to deal with in a SHTF scenario. Hardest thing is gonna be remembering to take the medication every day. New routines are always annoying

Can you back up a bit when you post? I hope everything works out okay for you. My wife is on thyroid medication but hasn't had to do the RAI test.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It sounds like an overactive thyroid problem. I hope this works well and it takes awhile to get the meds right after knocking out your thyroid. Just means taking meds and having bloodwork every month or so until the meds are at the correct dosage. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I thought I saw a glow from the NE!
    Nah, that was just me having a great day (NE = "NightEyes", right?)

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    On a serious note, I hope that everything goes well for you and that treatment goes as planned.
    As do I. And, if it will really help, I have an old medical (translate as "very sensitive") geiger counter that I've recently had calibrated. It sits next to my old Civil Defense (translate as "not so sensitive") counter -- that I've also recently had calibrated.

Regards,

-- Daniel ("just 'cause yer paranoid don't mean they're not out ta get ya") Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 06-29-2012 at 06:22 PM.