Thread: itchy rash from what?!?!??

Default itchy rash from what?!?!??

so i got an annoying rash on my face. the dr thinks i got it planting and weeding in my garden. tried googling poisonous plants and none of them look like plants in my yard. anyone know a good place to look so i dont get this rash again?

Gosh - it could come from such a wide variety of sources....plants, insects, pesticides, sun, sun screen......
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Gosh - it could come from such a wide variety of sources....plants, insects, pesticides, sun, sun screen......
    theres no insect bite mark and i dont use pesticides or sunscreen, nor was i in the sun long enough to get a sun rash for the first time ever in life.

Can you take a few pictures of the garden area and the type of weeds/foliage you were handling?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just on your face? not your hands?
    Been swimming in an untested lake or river lately?

There are lots of plants not considered poisonous that can cause a reaction in susceptible individuals.
    The most notorious are the spurges. Some are garden weeds and some are plants sold at nurseries.
    What were you planting?

You also need to look at anything new such as soaps, shave cream or after shave. As Crash said, a contact dermatitis can be caused by a LOT of things. Have you started any new medications, herbs or vitamins? Hopefully, the Dr. gave you a corticosteroid cream for it.

There are two types of contact dermatitis; allergic and irritant.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You also need to look at anything new such as soaps, shave cream or after shave. As Crash said, a contact dermatitis can be caused by a LOT of things. Have you started any new medications, herbs or vitamins? Hopefully, the Dr. gave you a corticosteroid cream for it.

There are two types of contact dermatitis; allergic and irritant.

Rick you amaze me! A walking encyclopedia!
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Married to one, actually. Some of it has rubbed off.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ok ill try to get a picture of the yard, i was given a corticosteroid, and no new soaps or anything. no swimming in lakes or anything. i was planting squash, corn peppers tomatos pumpkin. oddly enough its only on one side of my face. thanks for all the questions and input

Do you have a picture of the rash? Does it look more like hives or little watery bumps? Does it itch or feel warm and feverish? Lots of things it could be.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

And now a totally different guess...
    Could it be a viral infection unrelated to garden work--something like shingles?

I agree with all that has been said. Rickopedia!! LOL

I hope the corticosteroid is helping. If you were working with out gloves have you noticed any redness or itching on your hands? THere are quite a few common plants that can cause skin irritation and rash. Some people have a skin reaction to handling tomato and strawberry plants. Marigolds, Chrysanthemum, Philodendron, carrot and celery are a few that surprise me. Like Poison Ivy your reaction will vary, some folks will not get a reaction if they crawl threw it in a hong when others can be hospitalized from the slightest touch.

I cant find the link i was looking for but this one is pretty good. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2414/#b

Quote Originally Posted by feral chef View Post
    ok ill try to get a picture of the yard, i was given a corticosteroid, and no new soaps or anything. no swimming in lakes or anything. i was planting squash, corn peppers tomatos pumpkin. oddly enough its only on one side of my face. thanks for all the questions and input
    Only on one side of the face. that is strange. Have you seen any strange lights in the sky or seem to be missing time? How about sculpting things in your mashed potatoes? You may need to make one of these. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8dNzRhMgk
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

It was most likely the tomatoes. One of the girls got the same thing last year from picking them.

The reason the Dr. gave you the corticosteroid is he/she has no idea what the cause was. They are treating the symptoms for you not the cause, which may never be known.

the rash is gone so no pics of that, and its been raining a bit here so no pics of the garden. tomatoes? maybe but i didnt get a rash last year, so... and gryffyn i dont think a tin foil hat will help.

Tin foil hats help everything. You can't be a true crackpot without one. I have three. One for leisure, woods and formal.