Thread: Lee Nading SURVIVAL CARDS

Default Lee Nading SURVIVAL CARDS

In 1976 a fellow by the name of Lee Nading published a set of SURVIVAL CARDS. Back then you would often see them in sporting goods stores and other places. I thought, “Next time I see them, I am going to get a set.” Never did. Then when my boys got into Scouting and later took Hunter’s Safety, I actively looked for those cards, as I thought they would make a good Christmas present for each boy. By that time I could not find those cards anywhere. Still can’t. I have spent at least a dozen hours Goggling for them, and from what I have seen, so have many other people. They are long out of print. Campmore had them but finally ran out long, long ago. They have shown up on eBay. I have searched the card catalogs of the state library networks in all the surrounding states. I have tried to contact Lee Nading. I have struck out every single time. The cards have been criticized by some as being a bit outdated now, but from what I have read they are still basically usable. Anyone have a set they would be willing to sell or trade for? Any other suggestions?

I bought mine from Campmor a while back. I don't see them there anymore, or anywhere. Even on Lee's Facebook page, he doesn't have a link for buying them, so maybe they are out of print?

However, Brunton's makes a similar type of card set, complete with mini compass and fresnel magnifier. http://safetycentral.com/surcarwitcom.html

Hopefully that can fill the gap until someone brings the Nading cards back again.

Also, ESEE knives makes a couple of sets. One is a NAVCARD set, about wilderness navagation, and one is the Survival set that looks like a similar item to Lee's. http://www.eseeknives.com/survival-card-set.htm
    Last edited by Celticwarrior; 06-02-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for the link. Not only would these be great to have, but would make fantastic gifts. Very cool.
    No Retreat, No Surrender

Thanks for the suggestions. I was not able to paste an image of the Lee Nading Survival cards here, but you can Goggle one easily enough. Below is one of the descriptions of the cards available on the internet:

Survival Cards Lee Nading

Lee Nading Wilderness Survival Cards
    Dated and purely for wilderness survival.

Survival Cards by Lee Nading. Contains 150 illustrations and over 300 facts and methods for prolonged survival in wilderness conditions on five 3 x 5 white cards! Laminated, waterproof. 3/4 oz. that could save your life Printed in 1976 and are Copyrighted by Lee Nading (hence the state of Indiana abbreviation "Ind." in the address).

A brief description of the Lee Nading Survival Cards:
    1) Each set of cards, measuring 5” x 3” x 1/8” thick, is composed of five cards, double sided and secured at the top left corner by a hollow, permanent rivet, allowing the cards to be splayed out fan-like around the rivet
    2) The individual cards are a relatively thin semi-gloss plastic, slightly less than one mm thick
    3) The writing and illustrations on the cards are very small, at least to me, and probably necessitate that you have access to a standard magnifying glass or a Fresnel magnifying lens to read them (I have to use a lens, anyway).
    4) The set of cards is very comprehensive, starting with the statement: “If lost, relax”. The cards go on to:
    a. picture shelters, describe how to find and treat water (page 1)
    b. find food fast in general, arctic, desert and marine environments (page 2)
    c. hunting, with descriptions/pictures of various traps, snares and deadfalls; fishing with hooks with natural baits, fish trapping baskets and cross-stream fish traps; and dressing game (page 3)
    d. first aid (page 4)
    e. general and overall basic descriptions of surviving in desert, tundra, tropic and savanna conditions; climbing and rappelling (page 5)
    f. distance, depth, volume and temperature conversions from metric to SAE; orienting; and fire building (page 1A – the back of page 1)
    g. descriptions and black line sketches of edible plants (page 2A)
    h. under a general heading of Equipment describes the process of treating and tanning hides; drying meat, roasting tubers, fish, etc.; making rafts, makeshift boats, tools, drying contraptions, useful knots, making a backpack apparatus; and provides useful black line sketches of these items (page 3A)
    i. More first aid, a continuation of the front of the card (Page 4 & 4A)
    j. International Emergency Signals including fires/smoke, reflective mirror signaling, ground to air signals using light material on dark surfaces and dark material on light surfaces; Morse code; ground to air body signals; and black line sketches of these techniques (Page 5A)