Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champion Generator?

Default Champion Generator?

Cabelas has one on sale I have my eye on. Anyone know anything good bad or indifferent to help me make up my mind?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Champ...h-All+Products
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

What will be its primary use?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What will be its primary use?
    You had to ask that! I got bitten buy a little bowfishing bug. Like I need another hobby. Figured it'd double as some help in an emergency outtage.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

I don't think you'll get much help during an outage. 3500 watts isn't going to power much more than lights, a fridge and a freezer with them. I bought a 6000 watt on Craig's list for about the same price. I think it would be pretty noisy to drag camping.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I read some reviews on the Champion generators, and it sounds like they are a solid unit. Change the oil after 4 hours and get out the break in oil. You will notice a lot of aluminum in the first oil drain. I use Mobile 1 4T motorcycle oil in my generator in 10/40 weight. I could tell the difference in how it ran after I put the synthetic in, it just sounded better and rattled less.
    In the heat of summer, always run 10/40 oil!

PS, Rick is right, get a bigger one!

I don't have a Champion, but have heard good things about their in-house motors that they use.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I read the reviews too, pretty durn good. Yeah, it is not as big as Rick's...... But, it beats what I got. Having the fridge in an outtage would be a good thing IMO. I don't need a generator to camp....For bowhunting they are used to power lights. Sure I'd like to have a Honda 2000 but at a grand more, the noise will be fine. Thanks for the help! Rick what does a 6000 weigh?

I have that exact model. Mine is very solid, starts on the second pull, and is fairly quite running. As mentioned , of course it will not run your entire home in an outage but will get you by in a pinch. Heck, during a bad storm all I am worried about is my freezer full of deer meet and a couple of lights going in the house. For the money I like it.
    No Retreat, No Surrender

Saving for a E2000 Honda here, we borrowed one for a camping trip last year and was very impressed. Its enough to kick the lights up a notch and is nice to have at the trailer for heavy use times. Not enough punch to turn over the AC unit though, I think we would need 3500W for that but since its rarely necessary for AC where I live, its not a priority.
    I have seen Champion units for sale as refurbished, the 4000W shop style one was around $800 at the store if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan300 View Post
    I have that exact model. Mine is very solid, starts on the second pull, and is fairly quite running. As mentioned , of course it will not run your entire home in an outage but will get you by in a pinch. Heck, during a bad storm all I am worried about is my freezer full of deer meet and a couple of lights going in the house. For the money I like it.
    Thanks Spartan! How many hours do you have on it? The other thing in the reviews it sounds like customer service is excellent.

The Honda E2000 is also made to "double" with another E2000. In case you didn't know. But, then I can always buy two 4000's if I am impressed.

If I find them at the right price, I certainly will, they seem to hold their value though so no cheap deals found yet.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Thanks Spartan! How many hours do you have on it? The other thing in the reviews it sounds like customer service is excellent.

I have owned it for 3 years, not sure of my hour count. I have not used it a ton, but have used it on more than one occasion. Even after sitting in my shop all Winter, with Stabil in the tank of course, it started on the second or third pull. I have not had any reason to call customer service so I can't tell you how good it is. I bought mine at Tractor Supply.
    No Retreat, No Surrender

I am leaning towards pulling the plug on it! I trust cabelas to ship it and free shipping! Hmmmmm I saw a propane conversion on you tube somewhere.....

I don't know the weight - CS. It's pretty heavy, though. Two of us can put it in the truck. That's all I know.

Unless Cabellas is close by, they sell Champions at Walmart and with the add they would probably match the price saving shipping and on a gen that would be a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't know the weight - CS. It's pretty heavy, though. Two of us can put it in the truck. That's all I know.
    Weight is a consideration with the boat. Don't wanna loose any guns I might buy sinking the boat.

I may need to check Walmart, they do seem to have a fair amount of shipping damage in the reviews.

Two of us can put it in the truck. That's all I know. Here I thought Rick knew everything.