Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What Level Of Medical Training Do You Have?

EMT I
    Tactical medic
    "SURVIVAL..........it's all in your Head!"

I spent the vast majority of my 20's doing nothing but school and training. Kind of a medical/rescue "nerd".
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

Quote Originally Posted by tacmedic View Post
    I spent the vast majority of my 20's doing nothing but school and training. Kind of a medical/rescue "nerd".
    You sound like me. Getting hired as a medic here is hard as hell. Getting hired as a tac medic is impossible.

I know what you mean about the tacmedic jobs. There is no funding for it in my area so departments are not able to hire medics for the entry teams. The ambulance service that I work for allows me to use their service authorization for the team and I volunteer my time for the sheriff's department when they need me. Officially I get paid $1 a year so that the counties insurance will cover me if something happens.
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

What classes would you recommend as a start? I took ROTC in high school and 2 years college and loved the first aid parts... just don't know where to start again to get back up to speed. How much would you pay for a class, generally speaking?

Quote Originally Posted by MishMish3000 View Post
    What classes would you recommend as a start? I took ROTC in high school and 2 years college and loved the first aid parts... just don't know where to start again to get back up to speed. How much would you pay for a class, generally speaking?
    First basic CPR, around 100 bucks I think.

Second EMT class. I didn't pay, my GI bill did, but most colleges offer it. One semester class.

Quote Originally Posted by MishMish3000 View Post
    Check with your local fire department or Red Cross. Most areas offer classes to get you started. These classes are either free or a very nominal fee.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My EMT expired 15 years ago. My VFD is now paying my way through Emergency Medical Responder (formerly known as First Responder) and if I stick around, they'll pay for my EMT again. My wife is an CCRN (ICU nurse with critical care certification) and is going up to Nebraska to take a seven day class that will make her an EMT. The VFD is picking up the tab on that and if she's an EMT for a year, she can do a two week program with the same school and be a paramedic. She's debating that vs. just getting her AEMT certification over the next year.

@ Mish, definitely look at local fire departments, volunteer fire departments, and search and rescue. Many would be happy to pay for your training if you're willing to join and help out.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Used to play racquetball, in a gym at the local tech school....(free), walked in one day for find dismembered and dying students everywhere....

Was a disaster drill/practice....funny watching them drinking coffee.....on break.....had to walk through the carnage to get to the locker room....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by endurance View Post
    Many would be happy to pay for your training if you're willing to join and help out.
    Good luck with that...

You can call Middle Tennessee Medical Center over at Murfreesboro and ask them if they have any First Aid classes scheduled. I don't see any on their web site but that doesn't mean they don't offer them. They also have a really great first aid guide on their website. Just do a search for first aid.

http://www.sths.com/search.php?q=first+aid+class

As Crash said, your Red Cross offers tons of classes. Here's their site. I just pulled Adult First Aid/AED but you can search for whatever you are interested in.

http://www.redcross.org/tn/murfreesboro
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

PAEMT-B
    i have numerous other trainings to go hand in hend with it

I'm a retired RN with 33 yrs experience. I have worked in ER for several years which requires knowledge of First Aid, CPR, ACLS training. I also was a certified Wound Care Nurse. I know my ABC's.
    Last edited by BLUEANGELS007; 04-06-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Current Paramedic here of over 8 years. EMT for over 20 years. Experience in both urban and rural EMS. Current ACLS, PALS, ITLS and CPR.

I teach CPR, First Aid, Wilderness First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, Oxygen use and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I guess I missed this one. I definitely don't have as much as people here do. I took first aid in boy scouts, then some more when I went to Basic Training. I never did Combat Lifesaver. I have taken a cpr course 3 or 4 times. Now I just sit through the first aid merit badge classes that I set up with a Nurse teaching it.
    I watch youtube videos, does that count?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

CPR, first aid, CAN and Phlebotomy. And AED.

Lol, not CAN but CNA

Quote Originally Posted by TNshooter View Post
    Lol, not CAN but CNA
    I was fixing to ask what a CAN was LOL
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

just requalified...

"Senior First Aid (Health)" includes CPR and using defibrulators.

Work pays for this (Govt. Dept) and Royal Lifesaving does the training.

have to re-do CPR each year and the whole course every 3 years.
    "use enough gun......"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I was fixing to ask what a CAN was LOL

Definition of CAN

1 : a usually cylindrical receptacle:

a : a vessel for holding liquids; specifically : a drinking vessel

b : a usually metal typically cylindrical receptacle usually with an open top, often with a removable cover, and sometimes with a spout or side handles (as for holding milk or trash)

c : a container (as of tinplate) in which products (as perishable foods) are hermetically sealed for preservation until use

d : a jar for packing or preserving fruit or vegetables

: jail

a : toilet

b : bathroom 1

: buttocks
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel