Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Level Of Medical Training Do You Have?

Default What Level Of Medical Training Do You Have?

Medical training can be an invaluable skill in the bush or SHTF. Anything from basic firstaid to Paramedic skills can make a huge difference. I took a EMT class last summer and passed the NREMT. I took this class for a few reasons, We hike a lot and I am glad I have a knowledge and skill that could help if something goes wrong.

So what is your level training?

First aid-CPR. But I'm married to an RN.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

CPR and basic First Aid.......had to re-certify every year for 20+ something years.

Night shift supervisors were responsible for all first aid, and emergency situations.

We had an retired Navy Nurse as the company nurse....Her name was Ann, and you didn't bleed on her floor, unless you had a real good reason, like some thing missing.....
    Anyway, when I first made supervisor, I ask her if she had any advice for me......

"If you can't see it, give them an aspirin,
    If you can see it, wash it, and put a bandage on it.
    If you don't know, Call 911...."

....actually it was the Fire department, 911 wasn't started yet.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Basic CPR and First Aid certified. I would like to take the EMT class but time will not allow it yet. Hopefully in a couple years.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

Blog Entries

Cool Great thread!

Great Thread, Plainsman! Positive rep sent! I'm trained in 1st aid & CPR with both my sister and my best friend being RNs.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Various first aid classes over the years, CPR, CERT, some military first aid training.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

EMT Basic (expired) first responder, CPR. Would like to take a wilderness EMT but haven't had the time lately. I also have a fair amount of independently aquired knowledge of plant medicine. Though that needs some more practice.

First aid,CPR trained,some nursing,oh yea and mother to an adhd son,many trips to the er saved,but still saw plenty of action there.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wilderness First Responder (SOLO - New Hampshire) & CPR (AHA)
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

7 Years in the Army, Lotsa First Aid Training.
    I recertify every year in CPR. Oh, and my wife just finished her RN! WOOT!
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Congrats to your wife from all of us.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You bet! Great milestone. (P.S. - Never let your wife give you a shot. Don't ask me how I know. But they can get even at that moment)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You bet! Great milestone. (P.S. - Never let your wife give you a shot. Don't ask me how I know. But they can get even at that moment)
    After a stop in South Korea one of our junior officers visited the corpsman after we got underway. He "demanded" a shot of penicillin. When asked why, he told the corpsman that it was none of his business and that he was "ordering" him to give the shot. (South Korea had a thriving, and legal "ladies of the evening) business).

The corpsman gave the shot........a big one......of distilled water. From what he said - it is harmless, but probably the most painful injection available.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

EMT 25 years, USAF Combat Lifesaver cert, cpr yearly re cert (Local CERT requirement)
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

First Aid, CPR, Bloodborne Pathogens, and most important to me I can respond to horrible things with a level head. Still required Hunter, and I have had to tkae car of several events...did I tell you about the guy speaking in tongues, it took 5 of us to bring him to the ground. Then there was contracted worker that had a severe head injury and refused the ambulance.....
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 06-01-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have a lot of experience at brain surgery. Mostly removing moose and/or caribou antlers and scraping the brains out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Naw , Don't think she'll be administering shots to me, But it's getting irratating that she's now evaluating me quite a bit.

I keep telling her, just because you learned about some hideous new ailment doesn't mean I have it!

In all honesty, I'm quite proud she did it!
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

First aid and CPR/AED. I want to take a Wilderness First aid, but Red Cross kept canceling the class because not enough people signed up for it....
    Our men and women in uniform are brave enough to charge hell without a drop of water.

Medical School of Hard Knocks. Post doctoral.

EMT-B plus military battlefield medical training. In addition, I have studied herbal and holistic medical procedures, chiropractics and massage therapy, and read a multitude of medical and surgical textbooks, just in case.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"