Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Level Of Medical Training Do You Have?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    After a stop in South Korea one of our junior officers visited the corpsman after we got underway. He "demanded" a shot of penicillin. When asked why, he told the corpsman that it was none of his business and that he was "ordering" him to give the shot. (South Korea had a thriving, and legal "ladies of the evening) business).

The corpsman gave the shot........a big one......of distilled water. From what he said - it is harmless, but probably the most painful injection available.
    Don't count on it. While the most painful shot I have ever gotten personally was gamma globulin (really really painful), the worst one I have heard of was penicillin. Not Procaine penicillin like you get today with Procaine, a lidocaine-like local anesthetic mixed with the penicillin, but the raw deal like they used to give farm animals. Now, even that is more humane, but from what I gathered, it was not uncommon for people to faint when getting the unmixed shots back in the day because it felt like someone was pushing jello under their skin. Very nasty. The old rabies shots (multiple injections over a short duration) were pretty awful too.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

EMT Instructor, First Aid/AED instructor for the American Red cross, Wilderness First Aid Instructor for American Red Cross, High Angle Rescue, Vehicle Rescue w/ hand and power tools, Emergency Vehicle Operator(Penna.)

EMT-IV (STATE OF TN), EMD, HAVE ISO 100, 200, 700 800A, 800B, used to have extrication with rescue squad. I would love to get my WEMT but don' have the time or money. I have the same problem with the wilderness first aid class too. Not enough people sign up.

Oh and I have CEVO which is the same as EVOC.

I am the new guy here so just saying Hello... Tx EMT-P for 20 years, 21 yrs TX Army National Guard 68 W I retired in 09, Wilderness Rescue Instructor, Wilderness Basic and Advanced Firs Aid Instructor, Technical Rescue/Rope Rescue Instructor, Lots of ICS Certs, Lots of other Certs from courses.

US Navy - NBC Warfare, Corpsman training, Civilian First responder, Advanced first aid, professional level CPR, Blood borne pathogens, almost four years studying herbal medicine
    Happy Foraging

Kirk

Livingafield.com - Information Concerning Edible And Medicinal Uses For Common Great Lakes Area Plants, As Well As Information On Numerous Aspects Of Outdoor Living And Survival.

EMT-P (Paramedic), Military training, and self book taught wilderness emergency medicine.

First aid and CPR plus AED,(expired) Military Combat First Aid, Also read many books to further my knowledge base, Both my Wife and Sister are RNs

Ima Certified Nursing Assistant and CPR certified.
    Dieing is easy, Living is the hard part.
    Rock the 40oz, its the change that counts.
    Life is a grave and I dig it.

Mother of 8 children, one with Lukemia: learned more than i wanted to know about the human body and how to care for them. Can start an IV to give fluids, blood, or medication. Can give medications via injection. Learned how to type Blood and do a blood count. Over time you learn how to figure out what is going on based on the symptoms. As least you know what body system you are dealing with and then narrow down from there.

Wife of a Construction worker (who always seems to get hurt on sunday or a holiday: have had to stitch up wounds, take care of just about everything but a broken bone. He thought twice about asking me to stitch him up the first time when he saw the needle. But it was time to man up or shut up and go to the ER. He figured I was cheaper. ha ha At least now I keep the proper stitchure equipment.

Animal care: must give shots, fluids, and have had to do a C section on a heifer to remove a dead calf, but saved the mother. Keep several types of antiboitics on hand for animals, but in an major event medical care was not available can be given to humans on a pigs doseage.

Only formal training: CRP everything else was the school of hardknocks.

:O sounds like you got it down then lol
    Dieing is easy, Living is the hard part.
    Rock the 40oz, its the change that counts.
    Life is a grave and I dig it.

D.O. w/ residency in Family Medicine & OMT, certification in ATLS, ACLS, & PALS. Former Navy corpsman & EMT-IV (TN). Wow, that was a long time ago, back in the 80s. Formerly an employed physician I've been in private practice for the past four years.
    Last edited by EastKY_DO; 07-26-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool What's up Doc?

Quote Originally Posted by EastKY_DO View Post
    D.O. w/ residency in Family Medicine & OMT, certification in ATLS, ACLS, & PALS. Former Navy corpsman & EMT-IV (TN). Wow, that was a long time ago, back in the 80s. Formerly an employed physician I've been in private practice for the past four years.
    Welcome aboard Doc! It's really cool to have a professional physician on board here to give out general medical info to the membership...BTW, I got this pain.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

First aid and CPR plus AED adult and child., Combat Lifesaver in the Army years ago, lots of reading on various basic topics, to include a few natural home remedies.

Mil-Dot Firearms Academy Kosuki's Avatar

I will be going to medical school after I am done with my JC. I have the knowledge of a EMT/Fire Responder along with other survival skills (medically speaking). I have read books also on Medical topics and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosuki View Post
    I have the knowledge of a EMT/Fire Responder

Curious, can you elaborate on this? What do you mean you have the knowledge of? You read books on it or have the experience as working as one?

Registered Nurse for 30 years operating room. 10 years with army forward surgical team (fst) . Lots of advance trama training. Deployed on several occasions with sf units. Also certified surgical first assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by blkhawk21 View Post
    Registered Nurse for 30 years operating room. 10 years with army forward surgical team (fst) . Lots of advance trama training. Deployed on several occasions with sf units. Also certified surgical first assistant.
    You better stick around.
    There will be questions.
    Lots of questions.
    Any experience with mental cases?

Zip...zero...nada...

Self-trained in first aid...

Planning to take a certification course in first aid and cpr.

I would imagine you've picked up some training in the last year just by watching.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.