Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch and Release.

Blog Entries

Cool Catch and Release.

A fellow asked me some time back if I practiced "Catch & Release?" I said "sometimes." He asked me what I meant by that and I responded this way:

"If I catch a fish that's below the legal limit, then, yes, I release them. If they're legal, then I keep them. I don't throw away dinner! If they're either a Carp or an Asian Carp, regardless of size, then I feed them to the cats!" He seemed a bit put out!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I either catch and release or eat them. I don't know that I'd do that with a dangerous invasive like the Asian Carp. They might get fed to the birds. I've yet to catch one.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I either catch and release or eat them. I don't know that I'd do that with a dangerous invasive like the Asian Carp. They might get fed to the birds. I've yet to catch one.
    Here in Illinois both the Mississippi and the Illinois River are swamped with the A.C.!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

He seemed a bit put out!
    I don't know why, perfect answer!
    Last edited by jcullen24; 05-31-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Or explain it's the only way you can keep your latent urges to kill in check. Either that or it's the drugs. Hmm, could be both.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I practice 'shoot and release', and if I practice long enough I might get good at it.....That count?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I usually release when I used to fish as I didn't care for fish. I just wish I had known about filing down the barb.

Blog Entries

Cool Well if you must...

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    I usually release when I used to fish as I didn't care for fish. I just wish I had known about filing down the barb.
    You don't need to file it down, just squeeze it down with a pair of pliers.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Invasive species need death. I did see of "bizarre foods" some Minnesota residents that had a way to make carp yummy. They brined it, smoked it to get rid of the oil, and then cooked it. He was happy, but, he eats fish testicles so...
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Not cool....

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Carp are very good to eat if you first remove the "mud vein" ie: the lateral line and skin them. Soaking them in water with some baking soda helps as well.

As a kid I fished with a neighbor and his dad, they were from the Czech republic and were amazed that carp weren't considered a game fish (hence no regs for size or bag limits). They ate them happily, I did too but man they seem to have a lot of bones. Not sure how the old dude cleaned them up, beyond watching him gut them I don't remember any other treatment beyond the tedious scaling. We used to fish for them with a home made 'dough' type bait on double bar bottom fishing rigs.

To stay on topic, I have released a few fish, accidentally ;-)

"Catch and Release"? That's what my ex did! Oh, you mean fish, nevermind.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyq View Post
    As a kid I fished with a neighbor and his dad, they were from the Czech republic and were amazed that carp weren't considered a game fish (hence no regs for size or bag limits). They ate them happily, I did too but man they seem to have a lot of bones. Not sure how the old dude cleaned them up, beyond watching him gut them I don't remember any other treatment beyond the tedious scaling. We used to fish for them with a home made 'dough' type bait on double bar bottom fishing rigs.

To stay on topic, I have released a few fish, accidentally ;-)
    While working in the outfitting business I use to receive fishing equipment catalogs from European distributors that highlighted Carp fishing as big of a sport as Bass fishing is here.

On Topic: I practice catch and release most of the time.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Jim - you can cross score the bones and pressure cook. They all but dissolve. Or at least they are edible.

Blog Entries

Cool Another thought.

I knew a guy who filleted the Carp then did what Rick said. He liked them okay. I had caught one and gave it to him. He didn't suggest that we let it go! When I hunt, I only hunt for food, the same with fishing. I don't throw away dinner.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I went fishing last weekend. It was clear we were going to reach our limit of trout (8 per day, per person), so there were a few I hooked on the lip that would suffer no real harm that I released. It allowed me to catch some more. If the hook goes way down, I keep 'em, as they will most likely not survive.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

The Carp are usually energetic fighters too, compared to the rainbow trout I have caught over the years.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I suppose I fall into the keep n eat clan most of the time. I will cull if I catch ones bigger later on and don't want that many. That is why I prefer a basket over a stringer. But ya got to allow I mostly fish for bream or bass. Southron style isn't like the trout streams

OTOH, given that I like trout, I would probably keep n eat them too.

Thad.

as far as carp, Europeans seem to like em, maybe they ought to start fishing safaris to the southern impoundments. Plenty of carp for them and we get rid of them.
    Thaddius Bickerton

I only catch and release if I don't have a meal. I just can't imagine letting a good bite to eat go down the stream!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten