Thread: Spearmint/pepppermint

Default Spearmint/pepppermint

Spermint and peppermint arefrom the same family of herbs however peppermint is stonger then spearmint.spearmint has many of the same healing propeteys that pepermint does. Both can be used in herbal brews [tea] however spearmint with the weaker flavor is more suited for treating children. both in my opion make pretty good teas and can treat colds.
    [URL="http://www.anniesremedy.com/herb_detail46.php"]
    Courage is the discovery that you may not win,and trying when you know you can lose.

So do you use it dried or fresh? Ground up or whole leaf?

Both of them are about the most invasive mints you can grow. I keep mine contained in a cinderblock box. Or try to. The roots still get out occasionally or it sends runners over the top when you're not looking. I always cut down the flowers. Last thing you need is letting that stuff go to seed.

Mice hate it. I use the peppermint in the garage and attic to keep the mice out. I also chop up a small handful of it once or twice a week and strew it in the broccoli and cabbage beds. Keeps the cabbage butterflies away. Chop it up fine or you will find yourself with more rooted cuttings than you know what to do with.

Both make excellent jellies too but neither of them last much more than 4 to 6 months in storage. The aromatic part seems to dissipate. The Spearmint lasts longer than the peppermint. The peppermint will make your eyes water when you steep it. Gotta pick them just before it flowers and after a few days of no rain so the oil is more concentrated.

I grow it for my kids. I have it in large containers and every time they play in the backyard they eat handfuls of it. Parsley and rosemary too.

i usally use it fresh in the summer and use it dried in the winter. in the winter a use it ground up and in the summer i use whole leaf but i also chop it finly for use in recpits
    Courage is the discovery that you may not win,and trying when you know you can lose.

I have Spearmint, peppermint, Mint, lemon balm, and a few others I use for teas. They are in different areas of the yard so they don't run into each other. I use them fresh, dried and crushed. Good stuff.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.