Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Impoot

Red face I Need Impoot

so I have some stuff to deal with, but i plan on getting a cheap motorhome and living in it for awhile to save money, moving around where i want, getting jobs in every other town n seein the country a lil. i mean is this unreasonable, and if not why do so many people disapprove? this is where i need your impoot

yes input... i know

If so many disapprove do they give you a reason and who are they in your life?

I don't see anything particularly wrong with it if that's what you want to do. I would suggest you have some cash put back for equipment breakdowns and fuel especially if you can't find a job. It might not be much fun to be broke down in a town where you can't find work and not be able to fund the repairs necessary to get you on to the next town.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

"No Risk, No Rush" go for it you may never get another chance, many who disaprove may be jealous.
    Semper Paratus

Ya, Its doable.

I won't choose to do it because I like the feeling security of what I have. I know were and when my cash comes from. Most folks are afraid of this idea, too much uncertainty.

Keep in touch.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Tell us a bit about yourself--age, education, skills, etc. Maybe those who know you better, know something we don't and might have some legit reservations. In theory, your plan seems fine, but...
    What type of work do you hope to get drifting from town to town? Would you be prepared to do what migrant workers do? How long can you survive without a job? Would you be able to pay for gas, parking, repairs and basic supplies? Make a plan for every contingency and see if you can weather the worst case scenario. If you can, go for it but make sure you've got something to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

Agreed, tell us more about yourself first. I don't see a problem with it so long as you are not running from responsibilities, and you have what it takes to take care of yourself.

I am not being a nay sayer, I think there are quite a few things that you need to think of though.

It ain't gonna be cheap. The only places I know of to camp for free, as a general rule, is undeveloped National Forest and Wally World parking lots. Neither of those are going to have water and sewer available, except you can run to the little boys room in Wally World and dig a cat hole in the NF. Otherwise, camping in campgrounds is going to cost you hundreds of dollars per month.

Laundry is a bit more expensive on the road, assuming that you are being environmentally friendly.

Cooking and food storage will cost you propane.

HVAC can be a big expense. I guess it could be possible to run from the heat and/or cold and dodge some of that expense.

As BENESSE pointed out, maybe migrant work could take care of some of the above. I would think that the employers would cater some to the transient lifestyle.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

No such thing as a "cheap motorhome" You will pay one way or another,but you will pay

Motorhomes suck mucho gas at $3.75 per gallon They get like 4 to 6 miles per gallon on a good day if you get a good sized motorhome!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Motorhomes suck mucho gas at $3.75 per gallon They get like 4 to 6 miles per gallon on a good day if you get a good sized motorhome!
    don't come to California I just bought some today the cheapest I found was $4.19 yikes!!!

Check out this site, it's all about free camping. The slang term is Boon docking.
    http://boondocking.org/

Oh check out used pickup truck campers.
    http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/Truck-Camper/12/

Here's one I was interested in.
    http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/...RIVERA/215479/
    Last edited by jcullen24; 05-30-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

My opinion is that if you are not running away from the law, or from something like child support, hit the road if you want to! If you are a single guy with no children to care for, it is your business. The reason many folks are likely frowning on your idea is because it is an idea "out of the norm." If I had listened to every negative opinion that has come my way, I would have missed out on some of the best opportunities in my life. As long as your are not running from responsibility....enjoy yourself! As others mentioned take a cash "emergency fund" and see the country. Work jobs that will give you learning experiences you might use later on in life. This advice is pending on "the stuff you are dealing with" however. My two cents worth.
    Last edited by Spartan300; 05-30-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    No Retreat, No Surrender

Go for it. Have fun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just remember, life on the road is like extended survival, it's never as easy as you think it's going to be, and will probably be a whole lot harder!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Just remember, life on the road is like extended survival, it's never as easy as you think it's going to be, and will probably be a whole lot harder!
    And an enthusiastic +1!

In addition to the often-mentioned cash reserve, be sure that you have stockpiled significant reserves of (a) patience, (b) humor, and (c) humility!

Take your WiFi-ready computer with you if at all possible, because in these days & times it can be of invaluable assistance. (A word of warning, though -- computers don't work too well when using "unconditioned" power from a 115VAC generator. Be sure you either can run it off the vehicle's 12VDC system, or that you have a device that will "pre-condition" the AC from a generator before it reaches the 'puter.)

The only thing I would say is don't be too eager to change locations. If your goal is to save money, moving on to another location just for the change of scenery goes against your goal. Staying a location till the work runs out is the best option.

Ask yourself What do you want to get out of this? And make that list according to importance to you.
    So if it is Save Money, See the Country, well bouncing around a lot is counter intuitive.
    If its See the Country, Save Money, well, it doesn't make much sense, but go ahead.

Lot's of people around here live in motorhomes or in man-camps working for the oil and gas industry. Those with really marketable skills, like welders, can make really good money at it. They mostly all seem to do just fine.

Another option you might consider if you're trying to see the world a bit is to look into a job teaching English in other countries. My SIL did this numerous times in Spain, Russia, and Japan. She didn't get rich doing it but, she made enough to pay off her student loans and she saw lots of awesome places and learned three foreign languages in the process.

Hey scoober, realistically, you didn't give any information about your background. Such as age, experiences with working, finances, and your own mindset. Other than wanting to boogie off to see our country, which I think is a fine idea. As mentioned by several others, you're going to need to apply a little thoughtful reality to your plans.

It seems to me that every endeavor in life requires applying thinking similar to playing a game of chess. You should consider cause and effect in all your planning. If you don't have useable, needed skills, you'd better carry a big sack of money. My thinking on the motorhome is while comfortable, you really shouldn't figure on getting off the road too much. I basically do what you're wanting to do, except I use a pickup with canopy, and pull a small trailer for my scooter, along with other supplies. This enables me to go into some pretty rugged country, and can camp out on any BLM or USFS land. Hygiene needs are easier met in boonies, as compared to populated areas. As for finances, I live on Social Security. With gas prices what they are, I have to stay x amount of time in various places to make the dollars/time ratio work out. In other words, if I mainly did a bunch of driving while out and about, I simply couldn't afford to go. You have to apply some thought.

I spent my working life as a mechanic/welder, and carry sufficient tools for most probable repair needs. Most importantly, I keep my stuff in good shape so I won't have to do that. You need to try to cover any potential problem before it comes up.......again, the chess game.

My feelings are that if you can be responsible and realistic about what you're wanting to do, that would be too cool, and you should do it. If you're not pretty responsible, and don't look reality in the eye, you should probably reconsider. Anyhow, these are my thoughts.

Thank you, Pretty Pants

One of my dads friends has kind of did this his hole life, he has lived all over the country and has worked probably hundreds of different jobs. His personalty gives him an advantage, he can make friends anywhere he goes instantly. He moved to our town a couple years ago and bought the local pizza place, fixed it up, sold it for a profit and is now planning on moving again.

Somebody mentioned a truck camper, I have seen some pretty cool rigs that where a goose neck trailer with a truck camper on the back and a porch over the part of the trailer that the camper didn't sit on. Gives you a spot for a bbq grill and outside seating.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

ETA: I almost forgot the most important thing: No matter where you go, there you are. Be sure you go for the right reasons, because if you think just going will get anything hanging over your head or bothering you to go away, it won't. The one person always with us is ourselves, and any baggage we have we either carry or get rid of. Be sure of our reasons and know your whys. Then go forth and adventure if that pleases you. It is your life and that's freedom for you, aint it?

Depends on what you think you need to do this.

So first Self analysis. Can you provide your needs living gypsy?

What are your minimal needs?

How much "stuff" do you want to take with you? etc.

Test your get a job theory by seeking several jobs in near by towns that you can commute to and see just how well your plan works out. Kind of like camping in the backyard before taking on the AT.

OK, so Lets assume you have satisfied yourself you can provide for yourself, and made your lists of must haves, nice to haves, and luxury only if I can swing it haves.

There is a range of travel available to you. It ranges from a small pack and your thumb up to those uber converted tractor trailor motor homes.

First, How are you going to get around after you hit a place you want to stop? If you park the motorhome and want to drive you get to tow a car or motorcycle or moped or bike.

If you elect to have a towed camper you can park and unhitch the tow vehicle and drive that.

For a reasonable price range a truck / 5th wheel trailor will tote most of the at home luxuries and also give you a ride after you rent a parking space for the trailor.

Many places have camper parks that you can rent a place at monthly or weekly and provide all the hook ups including electric, sewer, water and tv / internet.

If something like that appeals to you then you ought to look for fellows who do jobs like welders and others who "migrate" to the "temporary jobs" pulling their trailers work a few months, then pack up and move on the the next adventure.

Some will take their skill and weld a 3 or 6 month contract, make enough money and then take a year coasting across the nation, just taking small jobs. There are groups that will post jobs and you can grab the contracts for the work. Depends on your skills if you can land such, but there is always construction jobs.

Outside CONUS things get more difficult, but also open up a lot of opportunities provided you have the skills.

You might look into Professional Tourist / traveler web sites. There is a lot on how to fund it.

I have seen people take a job and live with Mom and Dad, saving most of their money, and training in some skill like welding or other and at the same time buy a school bus and convert it into a cheap camper set up just as they like it. Then they will take a motorcycle / moped / bicycle as their parked transport, take their savings and either do short term job contracts or just live off their savings a bit then get work when funds grow low.

then there are the ones who just go where there is no road and camp.

some end up paring down to a small bag with just a few nice to have things and wander.

There are always trade offs with any life style. The folk who will nay say you fall into two groups.

1. People who love you and know you and perhaps know the challenges you plan on taking on you are not up to. You should talk long with them, and see if they want to really help you realize your dreams by encouraging you to plan better, or it they fall into the next group:

2. Those who really do not care what you do, but want you to conform to their ideas about how you should live your life because if you do something and succeed they have to look at themselves and may feel that they are not successful. These people are dream thieves and are not your friends. They want you to fail because they lack the courage to chase their dreams and you force them to look at that failure.

For some reason today people have developed a lemming mind set that there is a "one right way" to do things.

In my parents day one went to school, went to work for a company, worked to retire, and the company pension took care of you while you waited to die. Along the way you married, had kids, mowed the yard, went to the local clubs and school organizations and then bought a plot in a cemetery.

That plan no longer works as companies don't seem to last for a lifetimes employment. I feel that mastering ones life and developing skills to earn money through selling services or products (your own company) is the way to produce the best life for an individual. That is of course my opinion.

I would offer that the more you know yourself and have tested your thinking the easier time backtracking and changing / modifying course to get something that you can make work will be. So I say do it, but like one learning to swim, try some small chunks and build up to full steam. Go see how hard it is to get any kind of work in a town you can commute to but usually don't. Try to make ends meet from that work.

Convert a bus and live in it near support family etc and see how that works while working local and take day / weekend trips.

slowly work into longer trips and maybe head out to some temporary work you already have lined up.

I see only one thing that will eventually be something you will have to come to terms with. That will be family. If marriage and children are in your future, you have to make sure you take care of them, and also ensure that you do not bring down the ire if various people that think they have the right to tell you how to rear your children. Plan ahead and choose well if family is in your future.

Of course if you only seek a single persons adventure while you plan the settling down part of your life, then build enough safety net to feel comfortable and go forth and adventure. (take a camera and journal, you will be living a book and it is worth writing down, both for yourself, your descendents, and perhaps to publish for coin.)

Oh, I just remembered one couple who traveled place to place and made a living selling articles on the place to those places to use in their tourist advertisements, selling to travel magazines, and running a web site with a lot of affiliate advertisers. Just an income thought.

Thad.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 05-31-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Forgot the most important thing
    Thaddius Bickerton