Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Death to the Varmits!

Those little .22 shorts are about quieter than an air rifle! Especially out of a long barrel.

Raccoons around here get disposed of quick, they can spread a nasty disease to horses...
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I just noticed that a ground hog has taken up residence under the Taj Ma Shed again....time to get out the ground hog medicine.......
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Ten after midnight and I just got another one!

I am getting real good at working a low power scope in the dark. If this keeps up I'm putting an aimpoint on something! Getting good at sniping from the shadows too. I hit this one at about 15 yards and he flipped in the air and took off. Doubt that I will see him again.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

They are probably preparing a counter attack as I type.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just a note..... a rabbits eye, and I would imagine a coon's eye will reflect back a laser....so you can kinda tell a rabbit from a clump of leaves.....Just saying.

I got another one last night. That is 2 in two nights, three in a week. PETA will be charging me with genocide and putting me up for trial at this rate.

I would just call that good hunting......
    Ground hogs have eluded me so far....course I haven't worked at it much.

Calm last night. No disturbance to the coop this morning. I may have wiped out the entire family, we will have to wait and see.

It is really amazing how a little varmit shooting will change your perspective on hunting in general. I believe almost every major firearms opinion I have, I have gained by shooting pests. What works, what doesn't, what to use on which critter, and espically my opinions about "if it will not kill a possom how do you expect it to kill a deer?"

I have made a scope swap in the past week and I am waiting for a shipment from Optic Planet as I write. If my present trend is going to become a habit i need a dedicated "night gun" and I am strongly considering dropping the $200 for a federal tax stamp for a supressor.

Glad you are having some luck getting those guys. Our biggest problems here are coyotes as far as our large stock goes. As for our chickens and rabbit barns, our biggest enemies are foxes, chicken snakes, and opossums. If you leave a cage with a opening big enough to get two fingers in, there is a varmint that can squeeze in for a meal we have learned.
    No Retreat, No Surrender

Got another one a little before 1am.

I finally have the proper rig completely nailed down, thanks to Jerry Miculek. I rigged a reflex sight off the scope tube at a 40% angle and sighted it at 25yds. You can bean them in the dark with that dot as easy as if it was 12 noon.

Wish I had had this sucker 40 years ago. I can see why the GIs in Iraq loved them so much!

So do I see in coon skin hats in your future? Good shootin' Tex.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

You just wait. Bad day's a comin'.

Alfred Hitchcluck's "The Coons"

Sidney Salcluck's "The Great Chicken Massacre"

George Romero Cluck's "The Night of The Living Dead Raccoon"

Samual Clucker's "A Nightmare on Chicken Street"

Bad days they be a comin'.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yes, I fear that camping in the back yard is not an option at this point. They would be on me like the walking dead.

There was another trying at the pen last night. I have gotten to know their habits quite well at this point. I will probably get that one tonight.

They amble around and get downwind of the cage and come in to investigate at some point after midnight. The cage is quite secure so they get discouraged and leave or the sun comes up and runs them home. The next night they remember the pen and visit early intending to pull an all-nighter and dig under the cage. That is when I catch them.

It also seems that a single .22 shot in the dead of night does not even rate rollingover in bed to worry over in rural KY. They know what is happening.

And the fact that I have rigged the situation so that I can shoot from inside the house like a refugee from Enemy at the Gates keeps the noise down too. I decided to shoot from inside when 'coon #3 made a charge after being wounded. I'm too old to run like that, espically in the dark and after midnight! Darn garden hose tripped me and he nearly ran me down. I had visions of that last photo flashing through my dreams all night.

The other two photos will not do my rest any god either.

Ever considered what might have been the result of evolution running through the racoon family rather than the apes?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-15-2012 at 02:46 PM.

There are rumors they are recruiting mercenaries.

funny-pictures-evil-raccoon.jpgWell I did a number on coons this year in Texas with my 22 and light.Those little critters sure do tear up stuff but skunks are worse.Not many coons will live under your house but skunks ,oh my.

At this point I have killed so many I have lost count.

I have learned and been reminded of a lot too, like why I have never been a fan of the .22 as a game gun. One of the things being that there is no such thing as "perfect shot placement", which is the standard recomendation with the .22, when dealing with a moving target and varrying ranges in dim light. The suggestion is a joke.

And there is no passing on the shot when the critters are about to take down your livestock. You shoot and hope they die now, but dying latter is acceptable too.

KY As long as they figure there's something good to eat around your place they'll keep coming. I have no idea how many have bit the dust here but we keep two live traps out by the chicken coop at all times. Saves staying up so late.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.