Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun security

Default Handgun security

I have a question. the DW and I both keep handguns on our dressers next to the bed. Our two and a half year old is getting big enough to come close to reaching them when he is standing on the bed. Rather than not keeping them in an area easily accessible (drawers won't do, he gets into everything) what recommendations do you have for keeping your home defense in reach and also toddler proof? A trigger guard seems too much to handle in the dark when you are half asleep. Are there easily managed handgun safes?

I have no kids in the house, but if I did I would use something like this. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104369580 Fairly quick access and will help avoid a tragic accident.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's definitely a tough one. While he's still so young you might try a drawer lock. It would give you quick access and keep his little fingers out of it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I have no kids in the house, but if I did I would use something like this. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104369580 Fairly quick access and will help avoid a tragic accident.
    Actually looked at those, I'm just wondering how you can get a code dialed in the dark,with the adrenaline pumping.

No little kids around any longer "Most of the time", but still a consideriation when the little one visits, or we have company with little ones.

All it takes is once.....Good reminder to all.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Inadequate IMHO. You need a locked safe of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's definitely a tough one. While he's still so young you might try a drawer lock. It would give you quick access and keep his little fingers out of it.

Thanks guys.

Crash- I will definitely be considering purchasing that one. Reasonably priced as well. I'll read some reviews.

Rick- My son is pretty crafty. I'm not sure that would deter him for long. But good idea for sure.

Thanks for the replys!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Actually looked at those, I'm just wondering how you can get a code dialed in the dark,with the adrenaline pumping.

No little kids around any longer "Most of the time", but still a consideriation when the little one visits, or we have company with little ones.

All it takes is once.....Good reminder to all.
    They make another model that in addition to the finger grooves, has a biometric scanner so that all you need is one touch. That about doubles the cost, so for me - I'd rather practice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So does it work in the dark?.....My luck I would get an error message, "Access denied, Please go to our website, FAQ, @ www,UR Scewed"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

These work great. I don't think they are sold anymore.

It's basically an innertube with a barrel plug. It requires adult strength to remove.

Every yr or so, I'd hand the unloaded firearm with the strap on it to my eldest kid and tell her to remove it. She was 11 and already an accomplished shooter before she could remove it.

That was a backup to education though. Education started @2yrs with me leaving a firearm on the coffee table and every little hand that reached for it got a slap.
    Last edited by Winter; 05-28-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I don't believe I have ever seen a strap lock.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

They were removed from the market, IIRC, because owners would pull the strap off with their finger on the trigger and shoot holes in their walls.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I guess that kind of defeats the "safety" aspect of things.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yep, untrained shooters are unsafe regardless of what steps are taken to mitigate their behavior.

Careful with those biometric safes. They basically read a fingerprint. If you have any kind of job that messes up your hands you will usually have trouble with that kind of safe. When I got my 10-card, it took the officer more than 4 tries on the fingers on my right hand. He was patient about it, says they often have trouble with carpenters, landscapers, mechanics, etc. – but he did tell me not to get a biometric safe.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Careful with those biometric safes. They basically read a fingerprint. If you have any kind of job that messes up your hands you will usually have trouble with that kind of safe. When I got my 10-card, it took the officer more than 4 tries on the fingers on my right hand. He was patient about it, says they often have trouble with carpenters, landscapers, mechanics, etc. – but he did tell me not to get a biometric safe.
    That's good to note lowkey, thanks. I have also read a review that said there was a delay with the biometric safe you don't get with the regular gunvault. I'm with crash and would prefer to practice with the coded model. Just have to develop the muscle memory for it by repetition. I'll have to practice it in the dark for a while. Almost decided on purchasing the gunvault 2000. I hope it's big enough for both guns

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Yep, untrained shooters are unsafe regardless of what steps are taken to mitigate their behavior.

Too true winter.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

One aspect that has not been considered is what type of "handgun" are we speaking about?

If you are dealing with a simiauto just keeping the chamber empty and the mag loaded would be enough untill the child is considerably bigger. Many adult women have trouble racking the slide on a simiauto and I know of no "toddlers" that can do so.

If you are refering to a double action simiauto the combination of chamber empty and safety on is double protection. The "toddler" would be required to (1) access the pistol past a drawer lock, (2) rack the slide, (3) disengage the safety, (4) overcome the long double action trigger pull.

My kids are in their mid-30s but to this day I prefer to keep my bedroom gun completely empty with the magazine attached to the grip with a ruber band. I can insert the mag, rack the slide and flip off the safety quicker than I can say the words.

The same goes for revolvers. They can be kept unloaded with a speed loader attached to the trigger guard with a thread.

Even more security might be achieved using a thin zip tie down the barrel. Rip out the tie, rack the slide and flip the safety. Same for a revolver. At one time S&W shipped their revolvers with a zip tie around the hammer and through the TG holding down the hammer. I think Ruger did too for a while. The average adult could break the tie but a toddler could not.

As my children got older I found that proper education was the best policy. That included both safety issues and safe operation of the firearm. I wanted them to have the ability to clear any weapon they encounterd and MAKE IT SAFE. We always had a deal. The kids could shoot anything I owned as long as I was with them. That kept the rampant curiosity in check.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Up until my kids were around 6 years old, I kept my pistol laying on the upper shelf of the closet towards the back. The closet was near the bed, and I could grab the gun pretty fast. But of course that only works while they are young little short people!

Absolutely kyratshooter, education is the best policy. My gun is a semi-auto with a very difficult slide. Right now I'm sure he won't be able to operate it and I don't leave it chambered. My wife has a single action revolver. I'm worried slightly about that one as it could go off simply by being dropped on the hammer. I'll look into the speed loader. Thanks.

mark

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Up until my kids were around 6 years old, I kept my pistol laying on the upper shelf of the closet towards the back. The closet was near the bed, and I could grab the gun pretty fast. But of course that only works while they are young little short people!
    Wildthang, If I had a closet nearby I would currently be doing that. Though the little guy is proficient at dragging furniture around to climb up on things.