Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back belts as a prep.

Default back belts as a prep.

I'm curious if a back belt has been considered as a prep. I have a bum back so to speak. Been through several MRI's and have been told there is arthritis and bulged disks. Lately the pain has went from a sharp pain to more of a ache. I do good unless I have to bend over. Sometimes I'll use a weight lifting belt but went to a thinner brace type belt. Anyhoo I got to thinking this could be handy at times as it is now. Any thoughts?

Yes...

1. With physical therapy, bulged disks can self heal. I suggest you get yourself into PT sooner than later and you'll be doing yourself a great favor. If you don't, there is a possibility a bulged disc can become a ruptured disc, which will require surgery.

2. Your suggestion is excellent. I have never considered it but that might by something valuable even when backpacking. You might consider it for the trap line as well. Good idea.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Any recommendations for specific belts?

Randyt,
    I'm a personal trainer and a massage therapist. I work in a chiropractor's office and am part owner of a private training and massage studio. I've had a bad back since I was a teenager (pole vaulting pole broke) and my wife has three bulging disks in her low back.

I urge you to follow Rick's advice. My back problems and my wife's back problems have not held us back in any way since we know how to care for them. Back belts are not a good solution. I stopped using and recommending back belts for weight lifting years ago. The problem is people will push their abs against the belts when exerting themselves. That's exactly the opposite of what to do. You need to pull your abs in and tighten them when exerting yourself to protect your lower back.

Okay.....I should know better. After consultation with the "boss" she tells me there is no evidence they work and might even do harm. She said they can produce strain on the cardiovascular system, limits mobility, and gives you a false sense of security. I just said, yes ma'am.

(I googled it after she walked away and she's right. She's always right.)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

At first I thought - I hadn't considered them, but after the last two posts it looks like I'm smarter than I thought.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

trapping and deadlifting probably make strange bedfellows as hobbies. I was doing good until I tried to break over the 500 pound plateau. I hardly ever wear a back belt but sometimes I do. I have a doctors appointment soon and will talk to them about PT. I do pretty good once I get loosened up in the morning but the ache really never leaves. All the doctor has done so far is to prescribe vicodin. The last time I went to the chiro, I hurt worse than before. This was a first.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    At first I thought - I hadn't considered them, but after the last two posts it looks like I'm smarter than I thought.
    I'm the same as Crash. However your thread does provoke thought about other physical problems that people might have. We seem to always be in the mindset that this is a "young, healthy person's game," when in fact it encompasses everybody, every age, condition, gender, etc.! Back in 1968 when I was an Assistant Scoutmaster we had a young man come in as an A/S also. He wore the uniform of the Explorer Scouts and he took much pride in his accomplishment on hiking the two week backpacking trip at the Philmont Boy Scout Ranch. This was because he had a bad leg and required an external metal brace that supported his leg and knee. What about somebody who requires a prosthetic of some sort? This was a good point to bring up Randy.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I try <g>. All this talk about bugout, I think perhaps when that time comes it may be randys last stand.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I try <g>. All this talk about bugout, I think perhaps when that time comes it may be randys last stand.
    There is no guarantee that bugging out will "save the day." There is a lot more to be said about bugging in. My wife has so many health problems that bugging out on foot will never be an option for us.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Actually, I think that it is more an older person's game, though there are some very knowledgeable younger folks around. Age brings about an understanding that things do go wrong, we are all mortal, etc. An injury or two makes one think as well.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

There is some concern that one may develop a dependence on such a belt, and perhaps prolapses etc.

That said, after careful weighing of all your personal factors if it means you can do what you want to do and you cannot without it then I think that would count in your choice.

Just as some need regular medications, some need other things to function. If it makes stuff possible for you that otherwise is not and you place your though out decisions to the test then I would say go for what works for you.

That's what is so great about freedom, isn't it?
    Thaddius Bickerton

According to a book written for doctors by the leading researcher on back pain, Low Back Disorders by Stuart McGill, back belts are beneficial when you are suffering from back pain but they are detrimental to wear daily as a preventative. This book slaughters a lot of myths about back pain. Portions of the book are not easy to read unless you are very familiar with the names of bones and muscles. From personal experience, when you need back braces, you really need them. There are two groups of people, those who have back pain, and those who will. :-) Actually, a little over 2/3 of people will have it at some point and 25% will have it in a random 3 month period. Also, a crisis situation could be a major change in routine. Back problems result not only from the magnitude of stresses put on the back, but the frequency of those stresses.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There are many of us that do not even consider bugging out and living out of a pack a consideration.

Back pain. I can give lessons in back pain. Three surgeries and degenerative disk disease. I am now inoperable and all that is left is pain management, such as it is. I refuse the heavy narcotics and get by on OTC stuff. I have not been totally pain free since 1988. Some days are better, some are worse.

The back brace is not much good. I have found that the best device to keep you from gettin ghurt is your mouth!

You look at the object and open your mouth and say, "I ain't picking that thing up!"

Then you walk away and leave it where it is even if it hurts your ego.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

It's odd that I can lift something heavy with no problem but other times grab a pair off socks off the floor and have a painful spell.

Never really thought about using the back belt on a constant basis but more as a devise used if injured or hurting.

For what it's worth...the way to strengthen your back is to work on your core, which is the stomach muscles. If you are at the point where your back is not so far gone that you're in constant pain, do at least 10min of abdominal strengthening work every day and I guarantee you'll see an improvement. (I can offer a few simple exercises if anyone's interested)
    How do I know?
    In the last few years of taking yoga, I've met people considerably older than me (60s & 70s) who have done exactly that and swore that it made a huge difference. It helped them get off pain meds.

I first injured my lower back in high school, as a football player, which later became a herniated disc. Later, aged 18-19 (when I still thought I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof), I managed to tear up my neck, both knees and one ankle. In my early 30's a fall managed to herniate yet another disc in my lumbar spine. So far [knocking on wood] I have managed to avoid surgery.

I have a Masters in Rehabilitation Counseling and have worked with a large number of people who had back injuries. Combining their experiences with mine, I believe the keys to managing back pain are to (a) lose any excess weight you've managed to collect over the years, (b) improve your overall body mechanics to minimize the strain, and (c) strengthen your abdominal muscles so that they augment the support for your back. The evidence strongly suggests that back braces of any kind actually contribute to, rather than lessening, the problem.

For me, items b and c have been relatively easy. However, some of the weight I lose always manages to find its way back.

Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 06-03-2012 at 12:07 AM.

HA....I thougth you said Black Belt and thought you were just bragging..... But yes if you did have a black belt it would kind of be preppeing. LOL

It's odd that I can lift something heavy with no problem but other times grab a pair off socks off the floor and have a painful spell.
    There really is nothing odd about it at all. You set your muscles to lift the heavy stuff but not the light stuff. It's the little stuff, like stepping off a curb or over a fallen limb, that will get you every time.

Agreed. One of the longest recovery times from a strained/pulled back muscle was when I sneezed. Dropped right to my knees. I've got to be really careful with my back because I too have been diagnosed with Degenerative Disk Disease. When I asked my doc what caused it he said....you're getting old. B's recommendation for core strengthening is a good one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel