Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Panic and it's two ugly stepsisters.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by mountainmark View Post
    Good thread. A lot of thought provoking posts here. I guess my thoughts on this are that I generally carry a pocket bible and a harmonica with me to keep me from being bored, but I guess I always assumed there would be plenty of work to be done, I guess it depends on the situation. I would hope I would never end up n a situation without my beloved family, but if I did, I don't think I would have any lack of subjects for prayer. I am never alone. I was just reading a book by Richard Wormbrandt who spent 17? years in a communist prison being tortured and thrown in and out of solitary confinement. Most did not survive anything close to what he went through. But he had his Lord. Don't underestimate faith and prayer. I know this is not a "religeous" forum, but even the military survival guides admit to the undeniable evidence for faith getting people through horrendous circumstances. JM2cents

mark
    Both items are great! Les uses a harmonica as well and I should throw mine into the BOB, thanks for the reminder. I also have a small Bible that can be used for the book in my pack. Positive Rep coming your way!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I almost always carry a small sketch pad and some pencils and stuff. I can stay occupied for days drawing and sketching. If I got lonely enough I could just start talking to myself...
    Last edited by Irish_King_Donut; 05-27-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Note, most people don't "play a harmonica".....They play "with", a harmonica.......No matter the results are the same.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Making rope burns hrs of time and doesn't expend alot of energy so that's a good way to cover the boredom issue.

Loneliness, hmmm, not sure how one would mitigate that..
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Bleh, too much of Debbie Downer huh.
    Last edited by 1stimestar; 05-28-2012 at 12:56 AM.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

The one time I was "lost" in the woods, I panicked. It was 1990 and I came out of an alcohol blackout stumbling through the woods.

I had no idea where I was. None whatsoever. Being still wasted and cross country in SE Alaska with the sun coming up(@4am) in the early fall is a really bad time to magically be transported into the bush.

I started walking downhill and thinking about where I was. Then, maybe 2 minuites later, I was running downhill and in panic. I lost my favorite hat and didn't even consider turning around to get it.

Suddenly, SMACK, I crash right into the back wall of Schoenbar Middle school, breaking my nose. I staggered the next 4 blocks to my apartment and passed out.

Good times.

My advice to anyone is, as soon as you realize you don't know which way is which; STOP, sit down, look around, and listen for 10 minutes. Then if you are able, make a cup of coffee or eat something. Spend time assessing your situation. Inventory your gear.

An hr later you have alleviated most of what would cause you to panic and you have started forming a plan. I would also suggest that if you are lost and have the gear to camp on the spot, do it. That is the point where you are closest to where you became lost and, therefore, closer to being found or finding your way out.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I leastt I was at the corner of telephone and telephone when I woke up, must have been dirty ice cubes....hard to give directions that way though......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

There's more trees when you are seeing double.

I just looked at the map of where I was lost. It's about a 2000'by2000' area. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter
    My advice to anyone is, as soon as you realize you don't know which way is which; STOP, sit down, look around, and listen for 10 minutes.
    OR.....lay back down and finish sleeping it off. I'll bet you didn't even have a first aid kit for that nose. What am I gonna do with you?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think panic comes from fear that is not controlled. It is okay to be fearfull, but you can't let it overtake you. I realize my fears and take appropriate actions to resolve those situations. As far as lonliness, I know we can't get into religion here, but my God is always with me. Boredom actually surprises me though. One should never be bored in a survival situation. Should always be working on food, water, shelter, hygiene, working on a way out, and being sure that ample rest is acquired. If I was in a fight to survive, boredom would not be a thought in my mind.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    So here's the question, boys and girls, what do you do to solve the problem of Panic and it's two ugly stepsisters? Anybody?
    Panic and it's two ugly stepsisters are easy to whip.

If you don't have propper footwear and can't walk, your dead.

WC

This kind of reminds me of that movie where Tom Hanks is stranded on the island and makes a friend out of a soccer ball... Meaning boredom nearly killed me while watching that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by heysmithy View Post
    This kind of reminds me of that movie where Tom Hanks is stranded on the island and makes a friend out of a soccer ball... Meaning boredom nearly killed me while watching that movie.
    NO JOKE!!!

Tom Hanks "WOULD HAVE" been dead within 3-5 days after he nocked that tooth out of his stupid head. It would have became Abcessed, got into his bloodstream, released a toxin in his blood and death.

Luck is all that saved him.

WC GF is in the dental field, she said 9 out of 10 would die.

WC

Get "Where there Is No Doctor" and "Where there Is No Dentist."

Woodscustom, I'm not sure your assessment of self-dentistry is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Both very useful and a must have in any "survival" liberry.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Ever consider that the soccer ball might have been smarter and provided better company than most people?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Woodscustom, I'm not sure your assessment of self-dentistry is accurate.
    I don't think Tom Hanks had those books, BUT, he did have some ice skates!!!

WC

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

All's I can say is HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    All's I can say is HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD!
    I AGREE 100%!!!

The world of 18 shot 6 shooters, car doors stopping bullets, and no need for antibiotics!

WC

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlup View Post
    I think part of that too is that too many people have their personal identity wrapped up in their job. Their value in their own eyes is their usefulness or importance in some profession.As far as boredom some people are more prone to it than others. I was an only child back in the day when preants didn't feel the need to have activities to chauffer their kids to. I learned to enjoy my own company. You can be alone without feeling lonely.
    AS a "only child" growing up on a farm in the 50's with the nearest playmate 5 miles away I also spend a lot of alone time in the woods, hunting, fishing, exploring, building shelters, hunting arrowheads or anything else I could do when not doing the chores IE Cutting winter wood, feeding, shoveling stuff, bucking bales on and on and on.
    A 2x4, a knife, a chisel and a handsaw. I made boats, cars, airplanes, carved wooden knives and spoons. None of which were very good but in my mind's eye they were just like the real things. TV consisted of Gunsmoke once a week at a neighbors house. We drove to town to pick up thing and watch the show. I made western belts and holsters out of tractor tire intertubes. Arrows were made from reeds with a nail or a sharp rock in the end. I carved whistles out of weeping willow branches. Sling shots, homemade bows, Bolos . All provided an outlet for my active mind.

I still spend a lot of my time in solitude doing things I want to do. reloading, leatherwork, reading. I can go the local range by myself when it is closed and spend all day shooting and enjoying the outdoors. We have cruse deer, mule deer jack rabbits, cottontails, quail Etc all over the shooting range.
    I think it would be much harder for our younger generation that grew up with computer games DVD, Kindles, cell phones IPod Etc to be without those things.

Have I been lost No! Have I been stranded because of weather High water snow Etc Yes. Chasing cow that got out at night and being caught in storm. Found a shelter build a fire and waited it out until morning. Was my Grandparents concerned. Yes worried Yes they were. Were they scared No, because they knew what I could do. For some reason the cows don’t get loose in the middle of the night when the weather is nice.

We just learned how to deal with cyclones, tornados, Floods, snow and ice storms. I even survived a typhoon after I left the farm .

Yes I walked a 1/4 mile to catch a school bus, uphill both ways. because we lived on one hill top and caught the bus on the other hill top. between was our pasture.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared