Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: THREE ITEMS.........To keep you alive (Originally by WoodsCustom)

Default THREE ITEMS.........To keep you alive (Originally by WoodsCustom)

I am a new member of this site, but not new to self sufficiency and the survivor DNA that most of us possess.

I must say, I am very impressed with this site and its information. I feel that quite a few of you guys could make it home or to your Safe place during a SHTF occurance using your knowledge and wearing your clothes of the day with empty pockets.

But when it all comes down to it, What three items do you feel will keep you alive the longest for any enviornment, or situation. What Three items do you feel are non-negotiable Keep alive items and should be consitered a true GIFT to the survivor. These THREE ITEMS could be done without for a while, but would be your #1 priority to find or make.

These THREE ITEMS would be a total Gift to me and would Totally make my life easier.

A Good Knife
    A Way to make Fire
    A container to boil in, Such as a Canteen cup or Folgers coffie can.

Some will have a different "Three Items" and I am interested in what they might be,

You only get "3"
    Last edited by crashdive123; 05-28-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Originally from the ST Site

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsCustom View Post

A Good Knife
    A Way to make Fire

Some will have a different "Three Items" and I am interested in what they might be,

You only get "3"

WoodsCustom
    I'd consider those same theree items the price of entry to any survival situation anywhere. Can't imagine replacing any one with something else. I'll assume that the right clothing and footware (also important) are sepparate from the 3.

Long handled hatchet....probably can do what a knife does plus
    Tarp...hardest item to aquire fast and easily
    Ferro rod...faster than rubbing

To bad only 3...4rth would be a SSGI cup
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

2 girls and my backpack

deleted.....
    Last edited by Renatus; 02-10-2015 at 06:22 AM.

Do we have our EDC with us?
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils. - Gen. John Stark

Same with the basics

Cutting tool
    Cumbustable device
    Container
    Semper Paratus

I'm going to take a different tact on this. Here are my three:

1. My knowledge
    2. My good health (If I'm injured in the "scenario" or dead it changes the whole dynamics. Especially the dead part)
    3. A knife
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm going with: knowledge, knife and shelter ....rest of the stuff can be made or gathered.

Just a note, and I guess it's a personnel thing, BUT....(LOL)

What's with the "only" part, be it one, three, ten....

Possibility if it was put "How small of a kit could you get by with"? or "What did you have on you when the plane crashed that was useful to survive?'...or "Stranded in the desert, what can you get by with"?.........." My boat sunk, these are n my needs......"

It's a rhetorical question attempting to put a reasonable limit on the necessaries, in a very general context...... Fun to do, but I dislike limits.......Murphy's law will say that what ever I need....I left it home.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm, well now...

Another one of those "you only get (insert number here) posts!" Okay, remember, you asked for it!

1.) A really big, fully loaded RV.

2.) A "chain gun" with plenty of Ammo.

3.) A year's supply of food and water.

Now, aren't you sorry you asked?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I think the intent and spirit of this thread is to stimulate thinking...and re-thinking...about what really are the most useful, critical "tools" to have with you in a crisis/survival situation.

Fundamentally, survival is all about protecting the body, and feeding the ongoing needs of the body; and, doing both as energy-efficiently as possible. This is the purpose of carrying tools and supplies -- they enable you to survive without expending more energy than necessary. Tools save the body's energy consumption and save time in efforts to protect and support the body.

In this light, I think WC pretty much nailed it with his list of three items. It would be interesting though, to see if anyone else has alternative lists along with the reasons for their chosen items.

Regardless whose "sacred order" you use, I think it's pretty universally accepted that the 4 most important elements of a survival effort are shelter, fire, water, and food. So-o-o, aside from skills and knowledge, are there three top items that would make your shelter/fire/water/food efforts easier. faster, and more efficient?

Personally, I'd take all these you only have X questions and ask for what situation? I might have a different answer for a hurricane vs. an EMP. My preferred questions would be for Scenario X, what would you need to be prepared?

I would opt for a hudson bay style axe rather than the knife if possible.

1: Knife http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-2-1249-...=IUNBI08REJ3XU

2: My Key Chain

3: Army Canteen Kit, with stainless steel cup. http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Canteen...5&sr=8-1-spell

I really would like to take my Book, Forager's Harvest with me though.

But my best answer is... My BOB.
    Last edited by jcullen24; 05-26-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

See there ya, go, the numbers are already getting hedged...
    Does a "Kit" constitute an item.?....Does a Glock..45 include ammo?....Is a motor home not count?

I agree with WC orginal list.... as a thought provoking drill, and I'm sure would work for him.
    Quote>
    A Good Knife
    A Way to make Fire
    <Quote

But I could argue a boat sinking in the ocean might change this list.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    2 girls and my backpack
    Thats not survival dear,THATS a death wish....
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Cool As long as we're "fanticizing..."

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    I think the intent and spirit of this thread is to stimulate thinking...and re-thinking...about what really are the most useful, critical "tools" to have with you in a crisis/survival situation.

Fundamentally, survival is all about protecting the body, and feeding the ongoing needs of the body; and, doing both as energy-efficiently as possible. This is the purpose of carrying tools and supplies -- they enable you to survive without expending more energy than necessary. Tools save the body's energy consumption and save time in efforts to protect and support the body.

In this light, I think WC pretty much nailed it with his list of three items. It would be interesting though, to see if anyone else has alternative lists along with the reasons for their chosen items.

Regardless whose "sacred order" you use, I think it's pretty universally accepted that the 4 most important elements of a survival effort are shelter, fire, water, and food. So-o-o, aside from skills and knowledge, are there three top items that would make your shelter/fire/water/food efforts easier. faster, and more efficient?
    I disagree, we have to assume we're somewhere that the aforementioned items were needed. What if you're stranded at sea or in a desert? Survival situations never work the way you expect them too, they hit you when you're not looking for them! You might be injured pretty badly; people around you might be dead or dying! You're FIRST survival tool is your MIND! You train it right! 1st aid knowledge is a lot more important than a "sexy looking knife" hanging off of your belt.

"Yeah, I'm into survival...can't you see my cool "survival knife?"

Here's the thing, you always need to "Be Prepared!" That means you train your mind to be ready no matter what. So what happens if you lose ALL of your gear? What do you do then? If it's a perfect situation then it's NOT a true "survival situation."
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Some people really have a hard time with a post like this. Wanting to bring the following..

1. CABELA's
    2. SUPER MARKET
    3. Town & Country Ford Dealership

Some people just don't understand what 3 items are.

WC

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsCustom View Post
    Some people really have a hard time with a post like this. Wanting to bring the following..

1. CABELA's
    2. SUPER MARKET
    3. Town & Country Ford Dealership

Some people just don't understand what 3 items are.

WC

Well no need to get Pissy! I was funnin with ya. I believe in being prepared over these minimalist scenarios. But like everone else said.

3 basic items.

Knife
    Fire steel
    Water Container.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I disagree, we have to assume we're somewhere that the aforementioned items were needed. What if you're stranded at sea or in a desert? Survival situations never work the way you expect them too, they hit you when you're not looking for them! You might be injured pretty badly; people around you might be dead or dying! You're FIRST survival tool is your MIND! You train it right! 1st aid knowledge is a lot more important than a "sexy looking knife" hanging off of your belt.

"Yeah, I'm into survival...can't you see my cool "survival knife?"

Here's the thing, you always need to "Be Prepared!" That means you train your mind to be ready no matter what. So what happens if you lose ALL of your gear? What do you do then? If it's a perfect situation then it's NOT a true "survival situation."
    Ah, HA! A discussion!

What, exactly is it you disagree with, Sarge? I'm guessing it was my statement, "In this light, I think WC pretty much nailed it with his list of three items. It would be interesting though, to see if anyone else has alternative lists along with the reasons for their chosen items." Am I right?

If my guess is correct, I clearly see and understand your point...GOOD point, too. That said, because this is the WILDERNESS Survival Forums, I took WC's original post to have been made within that context. I wasn't picturing being shipwrecked in the middle of Lake Erie as a Wilderness Survival situation.