Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just out of curiosity....

Default Just out of curiosity....

Did anyone save handy and great posts from the site we do not speak of? It would be great if we could come up with some sort of archives for lost information that some of us might have held onto.

I have an article from Laoshi that I saved for my boys to read at home. I'm going to post it soon. It was the one where the guy survived the colapse of Bosnia back in the 90's. That was a great article for SHTF scenario's.

What do you have saved away??
    Last edited by crashdive123; 05-28-2012 at 09:45 PM.

I mostly saved links for usefull info. How to's, stuff like that.
    I started saving a lot more in the last month but was lulled into a false sense of security by the new software.
    Had I known I'd have grabbed more stuff on the way out.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlup View Post
    Had I known I'd have grabbed more stuff on the way out.
    Yep, Me too.

WC

Dunno if this will help you, or if anyone has tried it, but the Wayback Machine cached that page I think in April of 2010. Here's a link to a post I made to that effect. I waded in one link deep and it worked.

LINKY

Storing of documents, links, etc can be seamlessly handled with dropbox.

LINKY

You get 2 gig of free cloud space, and it keeps a sync copy on any device that you choose/can run the application.

For contacts, I use Mozilla Thunderbird

LINKY

And an Add On called Addressbooks Synchronizer

LINKY

That allows me to write my address book to dropbox, and have a synced copy on all of my devices.

All of the above is free, by the way.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsCustom View Post
    Did anyone save handy and great posts from the site we do not speak of? It would be great if we could come up with some sort of archives for lost information that some of us might have held onto.

I have an article from Laoshi that I saved for my boys to read at home. I'm going to post it soon. It was the one where the guy survived the colapse of Bosnia back in the 90's. That was a great article for SHTF scenario's.

What do you have saved away??

WC
    I hear ya WC, and not to knock the knowledge of our new friends here but the archives were loaded down with a wealth of info. Two quite lengthy favs of mine was one by you WC on the importance of BOB's and CW's classic "Reviewing the Basics". What a loss!
    Last edited by Cajunlady87; 05-25-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Here is a copy of the Reviewing the Basics thread that was archived:

Let’s recap the basics for survivalism, shall we? We have had a lot of discussion about TEOTWAWKI and TSHTF and the end of days and such recently, and I grow increasingly weary of the pessimism involved. There should be no debate that if it’s your time to go, it’s your time and crying about it ahead of time won’t do anything to change that. If a bomb drops out of the clouds or a thunderbolt strikes you from above or a supervolcano pops it’s cork a few towns over, then there isn’t any point in talking about survival. You might want to talk about getting religion at that point. If you LIVE through any event, then there are some basic things that anyone should be thinking about for their continued survival. That is what this site was designed to do: pass along that information.

1) Learn the basics of woodland survival. Ron teaches a LOT of that on his site, and you would be doing yourself and your family a favor to take notes on it. Things like making fire with a variety of sources, like matches, lighters, flint and steel, firesteels, bow and hand drills, exothermic chemical reactions like potassium permanganate and glycerine, etc. ; plant identification for edibles and poisonous varieties; how to hunt, trap, and fish for meat; making shelters with what is at hand, such as snow caves, debris huts, lean-to’s, tarp and tent structures, log cabins, sod and adobe homes, and other options for both the short and long-term; making weapons like flintknapping spear and arrow points, expedient weapons from bone, stone, or wood, and creating useful tools like fishing rigs, cordage for nets, etc.; knowing orienteering and map reading; knowing how to preserve food without refrigeration; and of course, knowing how to purify water and find drinkable water in the first place.
    2) Learn what a B.O.B. actually IS, how to make one, and when to USE it (and when to just stay home!)
    3) Learn all you can about your local area. What disasters has it ever had? What disasters is it most PRONE to? What are the local escape routes? What plants and animals does it support and where can you gather them with the least trouble (both from a hunting standpoint, and from running afoul of other humans)? What are you doing to make yourself safer in that environment, and is relocating to a safer place part of your plans?
    4) What can you do? What are your skills, what are your weaknesses? What can you do to fill in the gaps in your own knowledge and who do you know that can complement those skills you already have in an emergency?
    5) How much do you have on hand today if a disaster struck? Could you continue eating, drinking, and living as you do (obviously with some minor inconveniences at least) for a week? A month? A year? What would you need to buy today to make that happen? How much food is ‘enough’ for you and your family? How LARGE of a disaster are you really prepared for? Can you count on others (friends, family, co-workers, etc.) to aid you with your emergency preps, or would they only show up to mooch off of you when something DID happen without contributing anything of their own?
    6) What land do you have available? Is it your home or is it a distant retreat? How do you plan on protecting it? What happens if it becomes unlivable at that location? Is there a secondary ‘bug-out’ location you know of, and if so, how prepared are you to pick up and reach it? How would you live there? Does it have a building or would you be camping (tent, camper, etc.)?
    7) What about livestock and pets? Small Children or infants? Do you have any provisions for THEIR long-term survival? How much pet food do you have on hand? How much feed for livestock? How much formula or baby food? Is there a way to improvise and provide food for them locally?
    8) What about durable goods, such as clothing, bedding, items to build or repair damaged property? Do you have all the tools needed, proper clothing for all seasons (including seasons affected by the disaster?), enough bedding and such to handle any houseguests no matter how long they have to stay? What about laundry? Can you effectively wash and dry clothing without mechanical means?
    9) Weapons and ammunition? Depending on what disaster happens, do you have a weapon capable of self-defense? Of effectively hunting big game? Do you have enough ammunition for such an event, presuming you couldn’t get more during the crisis? Do you know how to shoot properly and have gone to a range to practice? Do you have (and know how to USE) items for silent hunting, such as bows, crossbows, or airguns? Do you know how to dress a carcass and butcher the meat? How to preserve it properly once you have it? Have you or anyone near you ever hunted before and can you shoot an animal without a problem?
    10) Do you know anything about first aid, medicine, or wound care? Have you ever had to deal with a severe illness close to you? A death? A severe injury to yourself or someone you were responsible for?
    11) Have you ever had any fighting experience? Hand to hand combat training? Military field experience in a combat zone? Full contact martial arts or other fighting style? Knife , fencing or stick fighting in tournaments?
    12) Do you know about livestock and their care? Butchery? Veterinary skills to help them through illness, birthing, or injury? Feeding and proper nutrition? Have you ever gardened or farmed? Do you know how to sow seeds, manage seedlings, take care of pests and diseases organically? Do you have enough manpower to harvest crops before they go bad in the fields?
    13) How many people will you be responsible for in a disaster? What are THEIR skills and weaknesses? Do you have enough goods for them, and anyone THEY might bring along? Do they all know your plans and what your rules will be in a crisis?
    14) Can you make any goods you run out of? Do you have skills with pottery, smithing, glassblowing, woodworking, mechanics, etc.?
    15) What about power? Will you need it for anything, or is it just a convenience? Do you have skills to survive without it? Can you manufacture it? Do you know enough about alternative energy that you could rig up a system assuming you could get the materials?
    16) What about fresh water? Do you have a well? A stream, river or lake? Some way of catching rainwater and purifying it? How much do you know about finding hidden water and digging shallow wells? Do you know your average precipitation fall for an average year?
    17) Do you know enough about weather that you can predict a storm, or snow, or a frost/freeze a day in advance? A couple of days? Even a few hours?
    18) How much do you know about the dangerous animals in your area? Snakes? Spiders? Predators? Humans?
    19) Do you have even a small library of survival and back-to-basics/homesteading skills? Experience in using any of those skills?
    20) What areas have you already identified as weak spots in your preps or defenses? What steps have you taken to fix that? Do you actually HAVE survival plans, or is it just a nebulous “I’ll survive somehow” mindset?
    These are important issues. Answer them for yourselves as HONESTLY as you can. If you fail in any area, then those are your weakest links, and should make you re-evaluate your readiness. If you feel strong and confident that you have done all you can to be ready as you read this list, then you shouldn’t fear whatever might be coming. You will survive, if you live through the initial crisis. This is just the basics, obviously, but we do what we can, with what we have available to us. You can’t moan and cry over what you do not have or know after it is too late to do anything about it. You have to adapt and evolve to overcome that challenge, and to find NEW strengths to balance out your weaknesses. If anyone is capable of that, it is the members of this forum. We are all here to make a difference, to learn from each other and teach each other. We have this opportunity to learn POSITIVE steps to survival NOW, before it is too late. Don’t despair, and don’t give in to the fear of the unknown. Disasters have two kinds of people that come out of them: victims and survivors. I think we have all decided by BEING here which of those two choices we’d prefer!
    Celticwarrior, Apr 3, 2010
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

And Kurodrago's excellent list that was his follow-up to my thread:

And Kurodrago's excellent addition in his reply:

1.Carry redundant gear (large knife and small knife, Matches and lighter, etc)

2. Flip nalgene bottles upside down in insulated carriers in the winter. The threads won't freeze shut this way.

3. Superglue makes a great treatment for cracked skin if used properly.

4. Carry a small length of cord attached to your water bottle. It can be used to collect water from cracks out of reach.

5. If you carry a flashlight using AAA or AA batteries, switch to lithium camera batteries. They last longer in storage and are not affected by cold.

6. Duct tape can be wrapped around almost anything. Carry it into the field wrapped around something instead of carrying a roll.

7. Circle hooks are great for minimalist fishing gear. They almost always hook the lip and hardly ever deep hook. Great for survival when you can't watch your line at all times.

8. Carry a couple small birthday trick candles with you. They will relight if blown out by the wind.

9. Swap zipper pulls for whistles, small pocket knives, or mini-compasses.

10. Carry a carabiner or two. They have a 101 uses.

11. a sweater or jacket put into the hull of your sleeping bag makes a good cushion.

12. to clean a pot take baking soda and water and cook it. or salt and water.

13. always have a list of what you packed. and where it is in your pack. always think twice about what you need, first when packing, second when listing your belongings. that way you wonīt forget anything plus you might reconsider your previous decisions.

14. always carry some cord. you canīt have enough of it.

15. On nalgene bottles with the retention strap for the lid, pull it off completely then turn it upside down and replace it. Makes it easier to drink from as the lid is held out of the way.

16. A piece of thermoplastic can be used to repair a lot of things. (you obviously need a lighter)

17. A small bottle of bush tea tree oil can be used as an extremely efficient local antisceptic, as an antifungus, to fight an infection, or a diarea, or even a bad cold.

18. A pair of gloves is always useful, have you ever tried to collect nettles without?

19. Carry a small container of Cayenne pepper in your kit. Not only does it taste good, but it works as stop leak in the radiator of your car, stops bleeding when applied directly to wounds (coagulant), is an antiseptic, when applied topically works as a counter-irritant relieving pain of arthritis and sprains.

It's also thought to stop heart attacks when taken oraly. In all Cayenne is a terrific emergency medical supply. Learn more about it Here

20. Ranger bands; rings cut from bicycle inner tubes are great for securing small items and can be used as tinder for fire starting.

21. Carry termoshrinking tybe of different diameters and few peaces of hard steel wire. Both are wery usable in repairing fishing rods, glass frames etc..

22 -If you're cooking something containing grease or oil, clean the pan by adding water and some of the fine light-grey ash from the campfire, then boil for a moment. It works like soap.

23 -For fire without an axe, simply drag small poles and lay across the fire so they'll burn in two. When you start, burn off some shorter pieces and pull them back out of the fire so they'll go out, you can use them to bank the fire for the night.

24 -Carry a small awl and suitable thread. The ones on most Swiss Army Knives are too large to do neat work on packs, sheaths etc.

25 . the stings of blackberry twines can be easily removed using a "spyderhole" in a knife to make cordage.

26uring the long and hard trails your organism will by sweating lose a lot of salts and minerals. That can cause a serious health problems to some people.
    To prevent that, in such occasions you should always have with you a little bottle with kitchen salt or adequate mineral-pills.

27 Carry a cheap type II PFD while canoeing to use as padding for your knees. Should you need a spare for some reason, you are kneeling on it.

28 Boil water and put it in your sleeping bag at night (caution: water is very hot and make sure to secure the lid.) On cold nights, the bottle will keep you warm for part of the night. The rest of the night, your body heat will keep the bottle from freezing.

29 You can use a cool river or a muddy area to keep food cool. Just make sure the container is very water-resistant and submerge.

30 Common sense tip: little hooks can catch little or big fish while big hooks can only catch big fish (unless you gaff.)

31 Common sense tip: Pack your pack in an order of urgency. That is, pack what is used often closest to the pack's opening. And...

32 Make sure to pack heavy items closest to your body to prevent being thrown off balance.

33 If you encounter a moose or dangerous animal in the woods and want some added security in case of a charge, make sure to put a large object between the two of you (i.e. a big tree, stump, rock.)

34 If you are using a stove (an esbit, backpacking, or other) construct a wind deflector for maximum results. It will cut down your cooking time.

35 Always check yourself for ticks (great reason to carry two mirrors!!) I know the importance of this first hand. Carry two mirrors to see behind you. Catch them before they sink in!
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

36 For a good night's sleep, if you sleep on your back, dig a small depression in the ground where you sleep. It is surprisingly supportive and obviously not as flat as a board!

37 Unscented baby wipes (they come in small packages) are great when nature calls. Clean wipe . Much better than TP.

38 carry some fish-hooks, a few splitshot and 12lb line wrapped arond an old cotton reel or tin can for fishing, these can also be used for birding or caching small mammals such as marmots in a survival situation.

39 always let someone know where you'll be going and when you intend to be bak, break your leg and you'll wish you had done so.

40 always carry a small pot of pottassium permanganate for dis-infecting wounds, purifying water, starting fires (mix with radiator fluid or sugar) or marking out messages in snow.

41 always carry at least 2 methods of fire-starting with you on your person with your knife, that way if you lose your kit you can feed yourself and keep yourself warm.

43 a fire-steel or doan style firestarter is a reliable firelighter for wet or windy conditions get one.

44 if your feet are cold.....cover your head

45 always carry a few trash bags with you in the bottom of your pack, they're useful for just about anything..from creating shelter tarps, rafts and matresses to using them over a branch to collect trranspired water in arid regions....and they don't weigh much.

46 Always work on the basis of haveing two of the items of kit most important...i.e. knife, firestarter.

47 your compass doesn't necessarily point north ...check your own regions magnetic difference!

48 a 1lb coffee can with a wire bail handle is cheap to construct and will be a valued friend for backwoods living, a cheaper billy can you'll not find.

49 unless you're camping in predominantly dry/arid regions leave the cotton at home!

50 carry a bandanna they can be used for a great rage of purposes from bandaging, slings, as a sponge to collect morning dew from vegetation or as protection from biting insects.
    kurodrago, Apr 5, 2010
    kurodrago Member
    51 the cord around the lid of your rucksack makes an excellent bowdrill string for friction firelighting

52 a denim or cotton pant-leg rolled over 2 or 3 times makes a makeshift handpad for pressure flaking arrow points in the field, you can also use an alloy tent peg as your pressure flaker.

53 tighten your stabiliser shoulder straps on your rucksack when walking upslope this brings the load more securely to your centre of gravity, if you slip you'll fall forward...useful if it is a steep slope.

54 loosen your stabiliser shoulder straps on your rucksack when walking down slope, if it is steep and you lose your footing the pack will act like a weight and allow you to fall on your back and act as a deadman stopping the slide.

55 when crossing rivers keep your boots on, slip your rucksack onto one shoulder, wade facing upstream and use a pole or branch as a third leg to keep your ballance.

56 A packet of Dextros tabs in your first aid kit. in a survival situation, they are an excellent source of energy, and will clear your head if decreasing blood sugar becomes a problem.

57 Wet feet can be dried by application of Purell ( in the U.S) or any alchol based jelled hand cleaner.

58 carry a small piece of 600grit wet and dry paper rolled on the inside of your match case.It works as emercency match striker and emergency knife sharpener.

59 fill any voids in your match case with cotton wool.It prevents rattling or friction ignition and provides tinder when the matches run out.

60.Most foods can be eaten with a spoon or chop stix.?

61.Take care of your feet.

62. Dry your hands before lighting matches, a single drop of water can put out the flame.

63. A dunked bic lighter can still work if you let it dry out.

63. A bic lighter that is out of fluid can still be used to spark a fire. Just remove the metal with your knife.

64. You can use warm rocks by a fire to keep you warm at night by burying them under yourself in soft dirt. Just be careful to make sure the ground isn't moist or partly frozen or you will wake up in mud.

65. To make a makeshift minnow trap, cut the top of a two liter bottle off and invert it into the bottle. Poke holes to make it sink. Duct tape the ends shut. Fish swim in and can't swim out. Make sure to bait if of course.

66. Peanut butter is a great trail food for you and for unsuspecting squirrels if you want to trap or snare them.

67. For hunters, consider carrying a sidearm in the winter with a larger trigger housing. With gloved hands, it is easy to accidentally discharge single action 1911 pistols normally carried without gloves on.

68. For hunters again, try out your gun lube/oil in the cold before you use it on your gun in the cold. Some oils become very viscous in cooler weather and may inhibit proper function. Just put some on a cooking sheet and label the various types. See what works best for you.

69. Fisherman, use your chapstick on fishing pole eyelets. It will keep them from freezing over if winter steelhead fishing.

70. Be careful wearing fleece around fires.

71. For parents, consider higher level thinking activities for your kids while in the woods. Instead of memorization, give your kids a tin can and ask them what they could make out of it (i.e. lantern, mess kit, mirror, etc.) Memorization is ok but get them to think and they'll have a hard time forgetting.

72. Tuck in all loose straps while hiking. It is easy to snag a strap on a branch and possibly loose vital gear lashed to your pack.

73. Cheap camp footwear can be found in dollar stores. Buy some cheap foam flip flops and tuck them in your pack. Your feet will love you for it.

74. When wet wood is all around, split it to find some dry stuff.

75. Don't rely on solar stills for emergency water. They require skill in assembling and are not as quick to produce water as a simple bandana wiped across wet plantlife.

75. Don't rely on solar stills for emergency water. They require skill in assembling and are not as quick to produce water as a simple bandana wiped across wet plantlife.
    76. Seashells can be very very sharp if broken. They make great makeshift knives but are very brittle.
    78. For coastal dwellers, learn to love seafood stew. It is not easy to cook hermit crabs but it is easy to make stew rich in nutrients. Drop, plop and eat that yummy (subjective taste) slop.
    79. wire ties and duct tape both of them have a 1001 uses.
    80. diagnal cutters(wire cutters), have used them to do any thing from cutting wire to toe nailsfuzzz
    81. To tell how long you have until the sun sets fully extend your arm in front of you with your thumb pointed up, fingers together and your palm facing you. Line things up so that the sun sits in the crook of the "L" formed by your thumb and fingers. Now eyeball the the vertical distance from the sun to where it'll set (remember the sun will angle a bit to the right as it sets). Each finger-width represents about fifteen minutes of daylight, so four fingers give you about an hour before sunset. If the sunset is more than an hour away you'll need to use more hands.
    82. Keep your toenails trimmed!!The deeper into the woods you go the more things that'll eat your horse!
    83. Protect your ferrocerium rod from corrosion by cleaning it with an alcohol prep and applying a coat of varnish immediately after it dries.
    84. Fingernail ENAMEL doesn not waterproof strike anywhere matches. Use a varnish based nail polish or other varnish.
    85. Use a 4" cable tie to secure the actuator on a BIC butane lighter to prevent leakage in storage. The tie will fit under the actuator and above the frame, causing a stoppage of actuator movement. Don't overtighten the cable tie. Properly applied, simple upward thumb pressure will release the cable tie - handy for one hand removal should one hand be incapacitated.

86. Epoxy a button compass to the inside lid of a plastic matchsafe to add some utility to the case. Suunto's Clipper compass is easily removed from its housing for such a project and is a high quality compass in its own right.

87. Measure your ferro rod's diameter and length. Cut a piece of the appropriate diameter plastic tubing to the appropriate length to use as a protective sheath. A light coat of mineral oil or olive oil inside the tubing sheath will allow for easy application and removal of the sheath.

88. Charge a small portion of the inside of your pants belt with some stropping compound for a field expedient blade strop.

89. Waxed dental floss is invalueable. It can be used for its intended purpose, as a sewing thread, as a gear repair thread, as fishing line, and as cordage for shelter building. Also, a length of dental floss rolled in sand becomes a makeshift hacksaw.

90. Where not symetrical, your nation's flag flown upside down, is a ground to air emergency signal. Comes in handy when you consider many bandanas come in national flag patterns.

91. A brightly colored bandana makes an effective signal flag.

92. Soap the bottom of your cookware prior to exposing it to campfire flames. It makes it very easy to clean off soot and other cooking stains.
    93. Olive oil makes an effective knife lubricant and protector and is edible - you don't get subjected to potential toxins from other petroleum based oils when you use the knife for food prep.
    94. Don't wear hiking or hunting boots when pumping gas into your vehicle. Inadvertently stepping in spilled fuel or leaked oils are scents alarming to game and can be detected by game many yards away.
    95. In cold weather, warm the inside of hunting or hiking boots with a hair dryer, or if at camp, with a rock pre-warmed in your fire.
    96. Mini Tabasco bottles from USGI MREs, once emptied and cleaned, make excellent containers for an emergency Zippo lighter refill or containers for PSK sized bottles of salt or other spices.
    97. Several lengths of electrical tape applied to the clean inside of your PSK container take up nearly zero space, yet can come in handy for field expedient electrical system repairs on your vehicle when away from civilized areas.
    98. Use electrical shrink tubing around the lip piece of metal whistles to protect your lips in extreme cold conditions.
    99. Stuff voids in matchcases with dry easily igniteable tinder like cotton balls or SparkLight TinderQuik tabs.
    100. In cold conditions, carry your butane lighter in a pocket inside your jacket or vest. Body heat will keep the lighter working properly.
    101. find a great way to field sharpen your axe!
    102. Save the pockets, waistbands and pantlegs from your worn-out field trousers and recycle them into gear bags. Sew several pockets end to end to make a cheap carrier roll for small items. Use the salvaged belt loops for ready made attachment or tie-down points
    103. Don't clean the black off of your cooking gear, black absorbs heat very well and causes your food to heat faster. you also don't have the mess to deal with like you would if you were to coat the outside of your pots with soap.
    Store your blackened cooking pot in a sack (made out of an old pantleg for example)
    104. Sew a hood onto your favorite wool blanket, also attach some loops at the other end to allow for a draw string closure which creates a kind of primitive, low-tech mummy bag.
    105. A hammock, when not in use for sleeping is handy for securing gear in the back of a pickup or stationwagon. Just tie both ends to tie-down points, door handles or even loop around and secure to the back of driver/passenger seats to keep those loose items from sliding around while going to or from camp.
    106. A regular plastic 5 gallon bucket is great for washing yourself, your dishes, carrying water, carrying or storing gear, keeping food from animals, can be modified to be a trap and with a few heavy rocks at the bottom and a tight lid, you can keep it in a cool river for a bush-fridge.
    # 107 line storage
    A) drive two finish nails the desired distance apart, wrap line around them; remove and pull resulting hank through drink straw segments (look for the fat ones at Starbucks)
    B) buy either plastic or metal sewing machine bobbins, pick out the screwdriver bit that fits the hole, chuck in your variable spaed drill and wind line quickly. Mine hold about 65' of SpiderLine or #69 nylon.
    108 Knife sharpening

carry some small pieces of sand paper, a piece of flat wood (not too big) and a piece of mouse pad, with this kit you can sharpen most of your knifes without much problems or weight.Aforismo: Sabiduría molida para personas sin dientes.
    109. Think of a pack or fannypack not as what you can carry in but what you can find along your way.
    110. Always remember a trip from point A to point B ends back at point A. Don't use up your energy without having any to get back to your car or starting point.
    111. A stupid mistake in your backyard can be a great lesson before you go out into the field. Practice what you preach and use your gear before you head out. That same mistake could be dangerous or fatal in the field.
    112. Cotton kills, as do most other natural fabrics but remember, wool and silk keep some insulating properties when wet.
    113 .For muzzleloader hunters, put a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle of the gun. On those rainy, snowy days it will keep undesireable moisture out of the barrel. When you take a shot, the tape will blast harmlessly off the gun with no effect on accuracy.
    114. Make sure to dig cat holes at least 300 feet from a water source.
    115. Those handy wipes you get from casinos are great to pack along to compliment T.P.
    116. Not my practice (not at all leave no trace ethical) but I've heard if you have to #2 in a river, turn sideways. Facing up river causes the eddy you make to push it back into you and facing down river pushes it on you also. Sideways pushes it away best.
    117. If you don't want to go outside in the winter to pee, use an old smelly Nalgene bottle and tape yellow tape around it. Also, make sure to put something on it that will make you feel it is not safe to drink. Holds 32 oz. of your yellow essence, usually more than enough.
    118. If you run out of T.P., eat with the right and wipe with the left.
    119. Be careful handling plants while going to the bathroom. You don't want to put your hands anywhere near your privates if you've accidentally handled poison ivy or oak.
    120. Bring white paracord with you that you can use at night to guide you to and from a latrine. White shows up best at night against foliage.
    121. Don't leave your camp without the bare essentials. Many people have been caught off guard while answering the most basic human needs. Gear will do you no good left at camp.
    122. If you want your tent to smell fresh after a night of your world famous chilli, bring along car fresheners and hang them in your tent. You can also pick up cologne or perfume samples from magazines/Department stores to mask an odor.
    123 I hope you like, KURO
    kurodrago, Apr 5, 2010

Ask and you shall receive. CW thank you soooooooo much for posting this info. You absolutely made my day!

Yup! Celticwarrior is in the house!

Sadly, WCs "The Modern BOB" was not part of the recoverable data that I could access. I will continue to try, but I don't hold out much hope. Too much was lost, and I wish I had thought to archive everything after Ron switched over the site the last time. To many times, as with much in life, we think there will be a tomorrow in which to do all those things we want to do. Sadly, it doesn't always work out that way, and all we are left with are regrets about what we should have done when there was still time.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticwarrior View Post
    Sadly, WCs "The Modern BOB" was not part of the recoverable data that I could access. I will continue to try, but I don't hold out much hope. Too much was lost, and I wish I had thought to archive everything after Ron switched over the site the last time. To many times, as with much in life, we think there will be a tomorrow in which to do all those things we want to do. Sadly, it doesn't always work out that way, and all we are left with are regrets about what we should have done when there was still time.

Wouldn't you know it. That sucks. I wrote that when I was in Afghanistan and that computer was scanned and erased upon leaving theater. Gone forever.

WC

Also...

If We do find one of those Sticky Articles saved by anyone, we should repost it under it's own thread so it would be recoverable during a site search.

What ya think?

WC

Is this part of what you are looking for?

"I am seeing a trend with a lot of members on this site, and it is a trend that I feel is important to talk about and I never brought it up. What I am seeing concerns me to the point of discussion because I see it getting worse to the point that it is almost “Doctrine”. What I am seeing is mistakes being made in the reliance on the venerable BOB, commonly known as the BUG-OUT-BAG.

I will just flat out say it because I have never been one to beat around the bushes…….Members are packing too much stuff in their BOBs. What I am seeing is, the BOB is being confused with a new thing that I am seeing, that is “The Portable Cache” Or PC for short.

When people rely too much on their PC, they are asking for trouble. They are packing everything from Sewing Kits to Rubber Rafts and oars. This saddens me, because I do not see “Prepared Survivors” I see “Victims”.

Now I do realize that everyone’s situation Is different, due to geographical location, or circumstance. I still believe that if SHTF, and they had to move, you will find PCs laying along side of the road, or worse, a PC laying alongside the road strapped to the “survivor” and a less prepared person looting their dead body, or taking from them because they are too tired to fight.

I am here to say that for those that do not know what it is like to pack a 40 or 50 pound pack for miles on end, I say, don’t even attempt it. I consider myself to be in pretty darn good shape, maybe a 8 out of 10, and let me tell you, even a 30 pound pack wears on me.

A BOB should be light weight LIFE-SUSTAINING-ITEMS that are NECESSARY to live in a fast paced, run for your life situation, to allow yourself or your family to escape, evade, Defend, Construct, and Travel as quickly as possible.

Last January, I posted this thread…

http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums...you-alive.html

My 3 items still stand and I bet I could walk across America with these 3 items.

Packing a “BOB” that weighs 40 or 50 pounds does not tie into the word “Survival” in any way, shape, or form. It is insane.

If your Starting Point is evacuating your Car, Home, Office, or whatever, and you have a B.O.L. “Bug Out Location”, why don’t you “Pre-Stage” or “Cache” your items there? If you are afraid that your BOL is not secure and someone will steal it, WELL, You need a different BOL!

I have a friend that hunts in NW Montana. They pack WAY up into the mountains for trophy mule deer and such. When they “Pack-In” they are packing in their rifle and a VERY small pack, hoofing it up the mountain. At their hunting site, they have staged all of their equipment in 5 gallon buckets with lids. Everything from sleeping bags, tents, food, tarps, medical supplies, and everything I see in a lot of BOB-PCs you name it, they have it. They all haul all of that stuff up there on easy and fun summer trips into the mountains.

What “I” think members need to start focusing on is self sufficiency, and basic survival skills that completely negate 50% or more of what they are packing. So many times, I see easily avoidable NON-MULTIUSE items in BOBs. MULTI-USE items and Basic Survival Skills are KEY.

Step back and look at YOUR situation, take a SERIOUS look at your capabilities and assets. Think of REAL WORLD scenarios….

If I am in my car, and I have to leave it, what do I ACTUALLY NEED to get home? Do I want to go home? If I am not going home, where do I go?

If I am at work, and I need to hoof it home, what do I NEED to make it home? What’s my Route? Auxiliary route? What’s Plan “B”

If I am at home, and I need to leave, where will I go? Is it actually “SAFE” where I am wanting to go? should I “Cache” there? What’s Plan B? C? D?

There are lots of variables, but one plan that is NOT SMART is walking the countryside packing a 50 pound pack without a plan.

What do you all think?

WoodsCustom "

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

As a backpacker, I totally agree. Things get heavy fast. I weigh things by the ounce.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    Is this part of what you are looking for?

"I am seeing a trend with a lot of members on this site, and it is a trend that I feel is important to talk about and I never brought it up. What I am seeing concerns me to the point of discussion because I see it getting worse to the point that it is almost “Doctrine”. What I am seeing is mistakes being made in the reliance on the venerable BOB, commonly known as the BUG-OUT-BAG.

I will just flat out say it because I have never been one to beat around the bushes…….Members are packing too much stuff in their BOBs. What I am seeing is, the BOB is being confused with a new thing that I am seeing, that is “The Portable Cache” Or PC for short.

When people rely too much on their PC, they are asking for trouble. They are packing everything from Sewing Kits to Rubber Rafts and oars. This saddens me, because I do not see “Prepared Survivors” I see “Victims”.

Now I do realize that everyone’s situation Is different, due to geographical location, or circumstance. I still believe that if SHTF, and they had to move, you will find PCs laying along side of the road, or worse, a PC laying alongside the road strapped to the “survivor” and a less prepared person looting their dead body, or taking from them because they are too tired to fight.

I am here to say that for those that do not know what it is like to pack a 40 or 50 pound pack for miles on end, I say, don’t even attempt it. I consider myself to be in pretty darn good shape, maybe a 8 out of 10, and let me tell you, even a 30 pound pack wears on me.

A BOB should be light weight LIFE-SUSTAINING-ITEMS that are NECESSARY to live in a fast paced, run for your life situation, to allow yourself or your family to escape, evade, Defend, Construct, and Travel as quickly as possible.

Last January, I posted this thread…

http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums...you-alive.html

My 3 items still stand and I bet I could walk across America with these 3 items.

Packing a “BOB” that weighs 40 or 50 pounds does not tie into the word “Survival” in any way, shape, or form. It is insane.

If your Starting Point is evacuating your Car, Home, Office, or whatever, and you have a B.O.L. “Bug Out Location”, why don’t you “Pre-Stage” or “Cache” your items there? If you are afraid that your BOL is not secure and someone will steal it, WELL, You need a different BOL!

I have a friend that hunts in NW Montana. They pack WAY up into the mountains for trophy mule deer and such. When they “Pack-In” they are packing in their rifle and a VERY small pack, hoofing it up the mountain. At their hunting site, they have staged all of their equipment in 5 gallon buckets with lids. Everything from sleeping bags, tents, food, tarps, medical supplies, and everything I see in a lot of BOB-PCs you name it, they have it. They all haul all of that stuff up there on easy and fun summer trips into the mountains.

What “I” think members need to start focusing on is self sufficiency, and basic survival skills that completely negate 50% or more of what they are packing. So many times, I see easily avoidable NON-MULTIUSE items in BOBs. MULTI-USE items and Basic Survival Skills are KEY.

Step back and look at YOUR situation, take a SERIOUS look at your capabilities and assets. Think of REAL WORLD scenarios….

If I am in my car, and I have to leave it, what do I ACTUALLY NEED to get home? Do I want to go home? If I am not going home, where do I go?

If I am at work, and I need to hoof it home, what do I NEED to make it home? What’s my Route? Auxiliary route? What’s Plan “B”

If I am at home, and I need to leave, where will I go? Is it actually “SAFE” where I am wanting to go? should I “Cache” there? What’s Plan B? C? D?

There are lots of variables, but one plan that is NOT SMART is walking the countryside packing a 50 pound pack without a plan.

What do you all think?

WoodsCustom "
    I believe that's it intothenew! That's a great program you got there, just checked it out. Now I'm going to go save some stuff! Thanks, mark

Quote Originally Posted by mountainmark View Post
    I believe that's it intothenew!............

I pulled an end around on you though, that was from Google Cache.

If that is in fact the thread, I have wacked and stacked all 6 pages. I'll wait on the author to respond to see if he wants to skin and gut them.

Before everyone goes all will nilly posting stuff you might try a search to see if it's already here. A lot of you visited both sites and took info from here to there and vice versa. So it might have already been posted. I know I've seen the Bosnia thingie on here.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Before everyone goes all will nilly posting stuff you might try a search to see if it's already here. A lot of you visited both sites and took info from here to there and vice versa. So it might have already been posted. I know I've seen the Bosnia thingie on here.
    I WOULD do that... but Sarge specifically instructed us to give you crap. Which I took to mean post everything we can think of, and let you go through and delete half of it...

I kid of course. What you said makes sense.