Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Long Rifle @ LONG-LONG-LONG-LONG Range.

Me and my Uncle do a lot of 22lr shooting at 200+ Yards. We shoot at Golf Balls. It's not that uncommon to get first round hits on Golf Balls and huge targets like clay pigeons at 200 once you get your dope down.

300 is going to be stretching the barrel. It will be hard to get enough elevation adjustment to hit.

ALSO... Use Standard and low velocity ammo with a 40 grain bullet. High Velocity and 32 grain bullets won't make it out there. They fall off way too quick and are inaccurate at Long range.

My Uncle uses a 77/22 Target and I use a Remington 40X.

WC

Quote Originally Posted by Pinpin View Post
    I'd be very interested in knowing just know many ft lbs of energy are left in it at 300 yds.
    It's not much. I shot a couple ground squirrels around 400 yards. The hold over was incredible. I did it once and my brother and dad told me it was luck and I couldn't do it twice so I did. Once you know the windage and hold over you can hit targets at those ranges but it isn't hitting them as hard as it was at 100 yards. They both were clearly hit but crawled off easilly and probably died a day or two later. With hollow points I might add not solid ammo. There just wasn't much energy left to open up the bullet. It was odd to the delay from pulling the trigger to when the bullet actually hit. It took a long time to get that far. The sage rats (ground squirrels) are pretty thinned skinned. On a full grown male with a layer or two of clothing who knows what the effect would be.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Just as a point of information--there is a 22 cartridge called the Winchester Rim Fire, which is the same case size as the Winchester Magnum Rimfire but more the velocity of the 22 Long Rifle. It will not chamber in a 22 rimfire but will in a 22 Mag. Both Winchester and CCI produce this round and Midway and Cabela's sell it. I use it as a lower power round in my 22 WMR guns. Not as cheap as 22 LR but quite useful in my opinion.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    Just as a point of information--there is a 22 cartridge called the Winchester Rim Fire, which is the same case size as the Winchester Magnum Rimfire but more the velocity of the 22 Long Rifle. It will not chamber in a 22 rimfire but will in a 22 Mag. Both Winchester and CCI produce this round and Midway and Cabela's sell it. I use it as a lower power round in my 22 WMR guns. Not as cheap as 22 LR but quite useful in my opinion.
    Good Information.....Thanks.

Banned
    Blog Entries

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Pinpin View Post
    I'd be very interested in knowing just know many ft lbs of energy are left in it at 300 yds.
    You can work it out.

The standard verlocity round with 38-40 grain bullet is only doing 550 fps at 300.

Drop is 21 feet at 350.

Yep feet, not inches.

We just did this same topic about a week ago!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ith-a-22-rifle
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That sounds about right on the drop.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

how does the magnum match up?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I have always thought that the .22 LR is one of the most useful and underated guns in history. If I could only had one gun, it would be a .22!