Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EASIEST way to start a fire?

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I hope we did not scare off that fellow in the OP. It was a worthy question, just not phrased in a way where we would not kid him.

If he comes back I hope he reads this.

Be a shame if he got run off without understanding we was just funning him.

Thad
    Thaddius Bickerton

Quote Originally Posted by HunterDan View Post
    Whats the EASIEST way to start a fire without any tools available to you? Some friends of mine are having a little debate on it and were wondering what some pros think on the subject.Thanks!
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but does sound a little like "bait"?

Maybe a badly worded question....no response......so what do y'all, Pro's think
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    What do you mean by "without tools?"

Are you putting modern ignition sources in the "tools" category, such as Bic lighters, matches, ferrocerium/mischmetal rods, etc.?

Are you referring to using only primitive, friction fire methods? If "yes," do you mean doing it without a knife or a hatchet?

Touching 0000 steel wool to the terminals of a 9V battery will get a fire going right away. Are those "tools" though? There are also a number of exothermic chemical reactions that can be used to start a fire, such as mixing glycerine with potassium permanganate. Is that cheating? You can also take the parabolic reflector out of a large flashlight, aim it directly at the sun, hold tinder at the focal point and get a fire going. Is this another "tool?"

How about flint, steel, and tinder fungus? If flint and steel are cheating, you can get a few sparks striking two pieces of pyrite together...have any fool's gold handy?

Can you give us more info on the challenge?
    That's more or less my thoughts as well. You ALWAYS have tools. That's what separates us from the animals - our ability and capacity to use tools. Even if you're just rubbing two sticks together, you're still using tools.

You could start a chemical fire like you said. But what about the tools that were used to refine, process, and package those chemicals? What about the car that you used to drive to the store and buy the stuff? What about the camera that needs to be set up when you mix PP and glycol to make sweet youtube videos of the process? Our world is filled with tools.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Well that ol boy may have left, but It at least reminded me that we are

"Tool Makers" of the highest order as men. (I have decided that since I learned to use the male pronoun for both sexes and am tired I will just revert to it. No offense to those females that learned to use fireperson instead of fireman etc.)

And I still expect my brain drizzles to mess me up when i type / think. :-)

I really don't know what makes a "Pro", but I have built a few fires in my day. Heck once I even spent the night in a holiday inn.

That's freedom for ya aint it?

Thad.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Well a bowdrills a tool, so is flint, and rubbing two girl scouts together could be, --- well there I go again getting off the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    You turn to the wife and say, "woman fetch me a ____". You then watch in awe as she burns your whole world to ash with just a simple look.
    Hmmm you married to Storm in Xmen? She has skills too.

back on subject - My vote - Fire Piston.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by HunterDan View Post
    Whats the EASIEST way to start a fire without any tools available to you? Some friends of mine are having a little debate on it and were wondering what some pros think on the subject.

Thanks!
    Answer, it is impossible since anything you use would be classified as a tool regardless of how primitive. And if lightning starts a fire, that is a natural occurance and could not be considered man made.

Molten lava......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You said you wanted that fish Blackened?

6145d1248574752-what-coolest-tool-you-have-flamethrower09.jpg
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Molten lava......
    You dont start lava, it just happens. The OP said, start a fire without tools, still impossible!

Stick your big toe in molten lava....it'll start something.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel