Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Hiking

Default Long Distance Hiking

Here's a nice article on long distance hiking offering numbers on most successful ways to treat water, boots, tents, and average miles per day.

http://hikinghq.net/book_long_distance.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Nice post rick, very informaive, might pick the book up for a read. Although the groups I hike with call anything over 20 miles a trek and we don't trails. The info was real good though. One question though, he said they herdly slept in tents or shelters and went to hotels or hostiles, wonder why.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

The trail is pretty crowded and there are a few shelters along the trail but they fill up quickly. The hostels and hotels (these aren't Hiltons by any stretch) are right near the trail and they're aren't that many shelters. You have to start early in the year to make the full trek, which means spring rains.

Here's a picture of a newly built shelter.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I found a hiking estimator to go with this thread. It will tell you how long a hike will take based on distance, elevation and speed.

http://hikenh.netfirms.com/HikeTime.htm

Neat shelter, did they run out of boards?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

No. They were just bored with the boards.

Well, I saw an opening there so I had to comment
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

That shelter is not camping.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Agreed. But the Appalachian Trail is trekking. It just offers a place to get out of the rain and keeps you from sleeping on the ground. Since you're on the ground....oh....for 3 or so months, anything is better.

Blog Entries

It may be trekking, buuuuuuuuuut why use that if I got my diamond shelter?

After a month or so of setting up a tent or tarp, it's just nice to crash out and not have to drag out your gear.

Blog Entries

Very True.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    hey Beowulf do you ever sleep in hammocks? I like them easy on the back,and dry.

In the last month everything between me and the coffee pot is a trek. And getting from my bed to my desk is a long haul.

If it were not for the grand brats I would not get my daily exercise.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    I have been thinking of getting one of those.. (or making one). What are the downfalls of them? Your comments please??

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Agreed. But the Appalachian Trail is trekking. It just offers a place to get out of the rain and keeps you from sleeping on the ground. Since you're on the ground....oh....for 3 or so months, anything is better.
    Going to try the Pacific Crest Trail... at least part of it.. this summer if I can get away from here... Does that count?

rick; that's when i usualy just burrito myself up in my rain fly and hope i don't wake up wet.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Wolf View Post
    Going to try the Pacific Crest Trail... at least part of it.. this summer if I can get away from here... Does that count?
    Since it covers over 2,600 miles I'm guessing that....yeah it qualifies. How much are you going to do?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Since it covers over 2,600 miles I'm guessing that....yeah it qualifies. How much are you going to do?
    Just local here in the Pacific Northwest.. Probably some of Oregon and/or Washington.. Never been on that trail.. and I live here. so this summer I am making plans.

Good luck with that. and have fun. We expect pictures when you get back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel