Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Distance Hiking

Blog Entries

I love my diamond shelter, to me its more comfy than a hammock, I have used a hammock quite a bit but now I prefer the diamond shelter. I made mine from a painters canvas, 8x8 and painted it with deck stain (oil based and let dry for about three days in the shade, run a smooth stone over it and it becomes real plyable and is very water resistant (there is no such thing as waterproof in my opinion) I've never had a water problem in three years.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Good luck with that. and have fun. We expect pictures when you get back.
    funny you should mention that... I have been toying with a website idea lately and have a digital camera. So that is the perfect opportunity to illustrate and write about outdoor survival techniques.... I'm workin' on it..

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    I love my diamond shelter, to me its more comfy than a hammock, I have used a hammock quite a bit but now I prefer the diamond shelter. I made mine from a painters canvas, 8x8 and painted it with deck stain (oil based and let dry for about three days in the shade, run a smooth stone over it and it becomes real plyable and is very water resistant (there is no such thing as waterproof in my opinion) I've never had a water problem in three years.
    Do you have a ground (footprint) sheet? I have the idea to make the cover to 10 X 10 or 12 X 12 and then a separate ground sheet.. all with aligned grommets for the two of them and peg down on three sides... I am thinking that you need to make the ground sheet smaller to conform with the top sheet in a raised (say 3 to 4 ft) peak on one corner and lower in center obviously.. so the ground sheet and top match at the grommets.

This is probably off subject for this thread.. but convenient.

Blog Entries

My ground cloth is seperate, only 6x6 that I lay on, use a wool blanket in the winter and nothing in the summer. Here's an example of mine, one piece and the ground cloth is seperate.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Ridge - I use the same design but bought mine. It has grommets around the perimeter and cloth sewn to the center for support. I bought mine from campmore:

https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...Not3TQWg%3D%3D

I just use a sleeping bag insert instead of a ground cover.

You can see the raised portion in the middle. You can either use a pole inside to raise the top or, like mine, use the built in ties to run a line thru it and to another pole at the rear of the tent.

Here's another method using a ridge pole:

Last edited by Rick; 03-01-2008 at 09:15 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks guys... I will soon contact a tent maker to see how much the canvas is and/or what he can do with it... if I decide to have it made.. if not, then I'll do it myself. But if I can find the right item already made and it has a reasonable price.. I may just go ahead and buy it ready made. Still up in the air on it at this point.. It is to be carried in on a backpack so needs to be light enough for that. The pack is already getting a little heavy with the other stuff... may need to lighten that up a little too.

Ridge - Either get one with grommets or tie downs as you can see in the last pic above. If you carry a poncho, you can tie it to one side as a wind block if the wind shifts on you, it gets cold or it's raining. Set your fire off center to one side then you can close the other side with your poncho and stay pretty warm.

If you have it made, you can even have flaps built so you can drop either side.

Here's another thread on tarps:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=canvas+tarp

Another:

Last edited by Rick; 03-02-2008 at 06:05 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Ridge - Either get one with grommets or tie downs as you can see in the last pic above. If you carry a poncho, you can tie it to one side as a wind block if the wind shifts on you, it gets cold or it's raining. Set your fire off center to one side then you can close the other side with your poncho and stay pretty warm.

If you have it made, you can even have flaps built so you can drop either side.

Here's another thread on tarps:

Another:

yeah... I saw those.. thanks.

Presently in Oregon, but leaving soon for Latin America.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Wolf View Post
    Going to try the Pacific Crest Trail... at least part of it.. this summer if I can get away from here... Does that count?
    Ridge Wolf I am hoping to try parts of the PCT this summer too... it counts. Looking to hear from anyone who has hiked the Nor Cal, Oregon and/or Washington sections.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ray Jardine has written some of the most insightful, helpful stuff on long-distance hiking and going light. "The Pacific Crest Trail Hiker's Handbook" is full of great, novel ideas that seem a bit weird at first but really make sense once you think about it.
    Actions speak louder than words

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I highly recommend these two books for advanced backpacking skills:

The Advanced Backpacker: A handbook of year round, long-distance hiking.
    By Chris Townsend http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Backp...4384029&sr=1-3

The Backpackers Field Manual, A comprehensive guide to mastering backcountry skills (2nd edition) By Rick Curtis
    http://www.amazon.com/Backpackers-Fi...ref=pd_sim_b_1
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Presently in Oregon, but leaving soon for Latin America.

Thank you very much.