Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dried Shrimp

Default Dried Shrimp

Who doesn't like eating dried shrimp and washing it down with an ice-cold one. I don't know about you but I've priced those little bags of dried shrimp they sell in the stores and they certainly aren't cheap. Here's how to dry your own.

Before starting check your local forecast for the week to make sure youi have at least 2-3 days of nice sunny weather ahead. Boil your shrimp and include all your favorite seafood boiling seasonings. Next, find a spot outside that will have the sun shining on it all day long. Place a table in that area and spread your shrimp out and cover with cheesecloth to keep the flies off of them.

Every two-three hours go stir the shrimp up to get even drying during the process. In the late afternoon, pick up the shrimp and bring them inside. Next day repeat the process. Depending on the size of the shrimp and how hot the sun is you may have to repeat this a third time.

Once your shrimp are dried, place them in an old pillowcase and beat it on a hard surface just enough to loosen the peelings from the shrimp. Empty out the case and pick out your dried shrimp.

Not only is this a great way to preserve shrimp to eat by itself but dried shrimp make the best tasting gumbos and stews.

Gonna try this, thanks!

Good stuff and it lasts a long time, too!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Dried shrimp? I must be living a sheltered life. Sounds like a good idea though. Any idea what kind of shelf life they'd have? (I'm assuming that they would be shelf stable)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Please send five pounds of sample shrimp to Sourdough @ General Delivery, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Cast-Iron View Post
    Dried shrimp? I must be living a sheltered life. Sounds like a good idea though. Any idea what kind of shelf life they'd have? (I'm assuming that they would be shelf stable)
    Sounds good....I haven't heard about them either.......other than the time I heated up one on those roman noodles in a cup, with dried shrimp and spices.(had been stored in "The Place".... at the time was a 1963 Shasta Trailer for a couple of years)

Only problem was they had come back alive and were swimming around........They supposed to do that?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I guess I've lead a sheltered life. I haven't tried them either....yet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Most low fat meats can be dried. I wouldn't choose that method but if it works for her then it ... oh, you know. I'd cut them into chucks to expose more surface area and reduce the drying time.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've had them in Ramen Noodles, but never considered them as a "stand alone".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

They can't stand, silly. You remove the legs.

Huh??????

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is just sooooo wrong. They stuffed that little kid in a lobster. That's not right. I'll bet he's still wearing a diaper. That's got to ruin the lobster meat.

Ive only seen dried shrimp in one place, Louisianna. In the late 70's I moved there to work offshore in the oil buisness and in the convenient stores were packs of seasoned dried Creole shrimp. These were a couple bucks and about 1 inch long but a tasty snack. Havent seen them since I moved back to Florida but may try to dry some little ones and see how they turn out.

Sounds good. I don't ever have a guaranteed 2-3 days of sunny or hot weather. I do have a food dehydrator.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Sounds like a great snack!
    --GiLLiGaNN--

Kinda sorry cell phone pics, but:

I never have dried them in the shell. As Cajunlady87 says, cook em' your way. I then peel them and cut into pieces.

Put em' on a rack

And crank it up

And yes, they are great in gumbos and stews.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

I believe it would be safe to say the shelf life of dried shrimp would be at least a year as I've kept some this long and probably longer.

The art of drying shrimp using the sun to do so has been part of our culture for many generations. Of course like anything else modern technology is now being used by the larger manufacturers of these tasty delicacies. Large dryers are now being used to speed up the process.

Peelings are being recycled too. They get pulverized and bottled to be used by many chefs as an extra seasoning in many dishes. Years ago duck hunters would spread the peelings near their duck blinds to bait the ducks, it's now considered illegal.

I've never tried a dehydrator to dry them, interesting concept though.

Those of us that get snow (white stuff that falls from the sky composed of crystallized water) generally rely on the dehydrator especially in the winter.

Snow.......I read about that once. Sounds like interesting stuff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, that explanation was for you.