Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perfect trail gun

In your area, I would be looking into Marlin lever guns in .44 mag or 45-70 loaded with hard cast, heavy grain for caliber bullets. The outstanding company "Buffalo Bore" comes to mind for ammo. A .44 mag comming out of a carbine length barrel is very potent indeed. So no need to worry there. If you have your heart set on a pistol, I would look into S&W Mountain Gun or Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum. There are heavier hitting S&W and Ruger revolvers but they are a beast to learn to shoot under stress due to very heavy recoil. 44 mag is no recoil slouch but it is a damned side easier on you than the bigger ones. Good luck.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Quote Originally Posted by VAgrunt View Post
    lots of great advice out there. thanx to all that gave me some. I will mostlikely tote a .44 mag until i feel more comfortable. I will take other firearms also such as my 300 win mag and my 30-30 amongst others. if i never post again you know the bears got me
    If that what you plan on toting, I expect you will more than fine, unless you go looking for trouble.......Good luck.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am going to stick with SD, an Alaskan resident, and stick with the 9x19.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ck-performance

I will also agree with DanielNighteyes since I have the same agreement with Brownies and Griz. I will defend myself from them quire effectively by staying in Kentucky while carrying this poodle shooter.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    If that what you plan on toting, I expect you will more than fine, unless you go looking for trouble.......Good luck.
    im not going looking for trouble. i want to enjoy the outdoors and live to show the pictures i take is all :-)
    "You can't sedate all the things you hate... so kill and burry them in the back yard!"-- me

Enjoy the trip. When are you headed up there?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well its not going to be a trip. Id be moving there for work and living on the island itself. I am an aviation maintenance technician.... airplane mechanic.... and I was just offered a job there. Just trying to get prepared for the area.
    "You can't sedate all the things you hate... so kill and burry them in the back yard!"-- me

Don't forget to tie a bell to your gear. That way if the rangers find a bell in the bear poop they'll know it's you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

30-30 would be pretty underpowered for a large brown bear. Even a .308 may not be a great choice.
    SurvivalTopics.com
    FireSteel.com

edited....
    Last edited by sjj; 09-30-2014 at 07:32 PM.

The 300 win mag is already boxed and ready to ship! And i shot the ruger super blackhawk 44 mag. single action. i want a double action so i dont have to think just pull. so i am looking at a taurus 44 mag tracker stainless steel double action adjustable rear sights 5 shot. I dont think anyone can say anything bad about that beast!

I haven't dealt with a Tracker but, I've owned two Taurus handguns... I hope to never own another.

Maybe you've considered this but have you thought about the adrenalin that will be flowin' when the bear is chargin'? I don't know about you be I'd be hard pressed to hit a bear with a handgun under those conditions and a grizzly is a big animal. I'll be the first to say I don't know squat about them but I do know they are big and fast. That's a lot of rounds down range to develop muscle memory and be able to react without thinking. None of which, I'm capable of doing. Literally. I still have to suggest bear spray. Even if you do receive some residual spray from an ill wind the idea is to stop the attack. So what if you get a little spray as long as the bear takes his toys and goes home. It's your knoggin' but all this talk of big guns requires a decent investment in rounds and range time. And some of those calibers make me hurt just reading about them. I'd think avoidance and spray would be my first line of defense. A slow companion my second line.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is the one I count on when in BEAR COUNTRY...

The Smith & Wesson 329PD 44 Magnum.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

It weighs 26 ounces and you don't even know you're carrying it. It kicks like a scared mule, but it sure is handy when you need one. VERY LIGHT WEIGHT!!!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I carry it on my chest so it's always there and out of the way of backpack straps and easy to get to.

Love it,

WC

I'm gonna take a wild guess. You, uh, make the lad tote the wheel barrow everywhere? I'll bet it builds character. Just tell him that.

Nice, very cool........Got to get me one of those "porters", wore out that last one,... nephew @13...., was kinda hard to feed.....hand him a menu at a "Mom's breakfast" place, and he would just say "Yes"....Got a little girl of his own ...and a house, and collage, and a truck....gonna be awhile before he can "get out" with me again.

Ya done good, WC.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

OMG an assualt wheelbarrow!

where have we seen that before?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Bhohahahaha, GK....cough, choke, snicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Maybe you've considered this but have you thought about the adrenalin that will be flowin' when the bear is chargin'? I don't know about you be I'd be hard pressed to hit a bear with a handgun under those conditions and a grizzly is a big animal. I'll be the first to say I don't know squat about them but I do know they are big and fast.
    Ever heard the phrase "... couldn't hit a BULL in the BUTT with a BASS-FIDDLE"? If one hasn't practiced, and practiced, and PRACTICED, that about sums it up.

Yeah, but grizzlies are not too appreciative of playing that game over and over just so you get gooder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, but grizzlies are not too appreciative of playing that game over and over just so you get gooder.
    Are you SURE we're not related????