Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How good are you?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Kyrat, I just might take you up on that offer.
    Since I'm too old to join the Marines, this would be the next best thing. Kinda like the cliff notes of survival.
    Got a few survival knives already!
    Ms B, you and Mr.B would get the city folk option. That would include a bug proof tent and optional airbed, also use of the ice cooler and Coleman stove. We would skip the running through the woods howling at the moon training and stick to more pleasant pursuits; fire building, setting snares, filtering water, fishing and sipping good liquer around the campfire at night. We can even bring chairs. That will from this time on be known as the "New York Option". However, my late wife was a New York Girl and a quite capable backpacker and general woods runner.

As far as the banjo music goes Rick, one can hear that anywere between Lake Erie and Atlanta GA if you listen real hard and don't stray far from the mountains. I understand the echos penetrate deep into the Kentuckiana territory. There are some real scary people and places in the WVA/OH/KY triangle equil to or stranger that the TN/VA/KY triangle. There are a couple of spots in southwest VA I am not sure they have run all the Indians out of yet.

There is legend of a creature called a Hootnanny that roams those hills eating first time solo campers and the occasional "seasoned survivalist".

Is the pool still open on how long before the Z word is mentioned?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-15-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kyrat, nothing but the full Monty treatment for us. Gotta redeam the city folk image, and besides, the first half of our lives was spent down in confederate country. We can pass real easy.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You poor soul! How long has it been since you had a glass or REAL sweet tea?

We will catch a mess of fish and fry them up with some potatoes and wash it all down with the first good tea you have tasted in years. I will even abandon my low carb diet just for that occasion. BTW, I am down 55 pounds at this point. (5 more and I get icecream for the first time since September.)

My origional destination thought was the area around Laurel Lake just outside of Corbin, KY, about 30 minutes off the interstate. It is wild enough to be a challenge, has any degree of camping hardship one would desire and is still close to emergency services, conviniences and the origional home of KFC. I think there is cell phone coverage there so we could call out for pizza if things got really rough.

If I was really devious I would drag folks up around the Rockcastle. That area has the highest concentration of Copperheads per acre in the U.S. The KY woods holds quite a few claims to fame.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Beginning to think lot of you wouldn't have any idea what to do, that's why instead of giving quality feedback you decided to keep insulting me. That typically is the case when someone has nothing of value to offer. My advice to you guys is learn some manners, I don't care how old you are, or that this is the internet your immature behaviors won't be tolerated. I'm not a kid, i'm 25 years old and am now very disappointed in this forum, I suppose i'll have to keep searching for real outdoor survivalist.

Quote Originally Posted by MichMetal View Post
    Beginning to think lot of you wouldn't have any idea what to do, that's why instead of giving quality feedback you decided to keep insulting me. That typically is the case when someone has nothing of value to offer. My advice to you guys is learn some manners, I don't care how old you are, or that this is the internet your immature behaviors won't be tolerated. I'm not a kid, i'm 25 years old and am now very disappointed in this forum, I suppose i'll have to keep searching for real outdoor survivalist.
    Well then you need to stop acting like a spoiled child. You were offered some good advice, yet you chose to pout and focus on what pissed you off. In post 29 you were offered a suggestion that would help you present a realistic scenario that would probably elicit some realistic responses.

Come or go - it's your choice. If you find your "real outdoor survivalists" and continue to act like an asshat I suspect you will tell all of the members there that you are the one that knows his stuff. You are the one that is right. They no nothing. And then your search will continue.

Stop watching videos. Stop romanticizing about survival through the words and deeds of others and get your boots in the field.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You poor soul! How long has it been since you had a glass or REAL sweet tea?

We will catch a mess of fish and fry them up with some potatoes and wash it all down with the first good tea you have tasted in years. I will even abandon my low carb diet just for that occasion. BTW, I am down 55 pounds at this point. (5 more and I get icecream for the first time since September.)

My origional destination thought was the area around Laurel Lake just outside of Corbin, KY, about 30 minutes off the interstate. It is wild enough to be a challenge, has any degree of camping hardship one would desire and is still close to emergency services, conviniences and the origional home of KFC. I think there is cell phone coverage there so we could call out for pizza if things got really rough.

If I was really devious I would drag folks up around the Rockcastle. That area has the highest concentration of Copperheads per acre in the U.S. The KY woods holds quite a few claims to fame.
    It's been awhile. Up here it's not even on the menu.
    But down home, we'd always get it sweetened (they'd bring the whole pitcher) to go with the blue plate special: fried okra, fried catfish, collard greens (with ham hock) real grits and jalapeno hush puppies.
    And I too, will have to break a few dietary rules--God knows we'd need the calories just to stay alive to tell about the adventure.

Poke, poke, poke, gotta keep it going.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I asked you several posts back what YOU would do. You didn't bother to answer it. Instead of offering quality feedback you chose to ignore my question. How is that any different?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    It's been awhile. Up here it's not even on the menu.
    But down home, we'd always get it sweetened (they'd bring the whole pitcher) to go with the blue plate special: fried okra, fried catfish, collard greens (with ham hock) real grits and jalapeno hush puppies.
    And I too, will have to break a few dietary rules--God knows we'd need the calories just to stay alive to tell about the adventure.
    You forgot two things -- real buttermilk biscuits, and cornbread made with NO sugar. The stuff they call "cornbread" almost anywhere but Dixie has sugar in it; sometimes it has a lot of sugar. This makes it taste more like cake than bread, and also makes it liable to fall apart if you look at it too hard.

20 something years ago I went through this scenerio. During our S.E.R.E. training they put us in the back of a closed truck and dropped us 20 miles out in the woods of georgia. While we had pretty much the same gear I have in my EDC bag, rather than just the clothes on our backs we made it out okay ( groups of 2) Now??? I'm getting a bit old to get in that kind of situation, but I'd like to think I'd be okay.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Well then you need to stop acting like a spoiled child. You were offered some good advice, yet you chose to pout and focus on what pissed you off. In post 29 you were offered a suggestion that would help you present a realistic scenario that would probably elicit some realistic responses.

Come or go - it's your choice. If you find your "real outdoor survivalists" and continue to act like an asshat I suspect you will tell all of the members there that you are the one that knows his stuff. You are the one that is right. They no nothing. And then your search will continue.

Stop watching videos. Stop romanticizing about survival through the words and deeds of others and get your boots in the field.
    Rick told me people of all ages visit this forum, even kids, so have you ever asked yourself what kind of example you're setting? You continue to insult someone you don't even know based off nothing. How can anyone on here, much less myself give you any respect based off your behavior? They couldn't and don't, guaranteed. This was a fun thread to see what some of you would do in a survivalist scenario similar to what's shown on tv, and instead of not responding or giving quality answers you instead belittled(or tried), whined, mocked, and offered nothing of value, at all. So I hope you're proud of yourself and it doesn't surprise me at all you're a "super moderator" seems like your type are always in positions of power when they shouldn't be. I can spot people just like you on IRC, even when they're on hidden status because they're always the most arrogant and aggressive, every time.

And I won't stop watching youtube videos, not at all, because people who actually know what they're doing took the time to make the videos to share their knowledge with others, and I appreciate that a great deal. I came on this forum hoping those type of people would be on here too, so I could pick their brains, but unfortunately that's not what i've found thus far. Some of you helped me pick a good knife(or so it's been said, I haven't tested it yet to know) but it's not worth all the negativity and insults. I don't know what "neck of the woods" you guys come from where that's ok, but I just find it unfortunate.

Also Rick I already said what i'd do in my first post.

You just don't get it do you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Poke, poke, poke, gotta keep it going.......
    Probably not.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If someone were to blind fold you, and drop you off in the middle of the woods, with nothing but the cloths on your back, and decent pair of boots, could you survive? To make things a little easier, it's be mid spring so temperatures comfortable during the day.
    MichMetal,

I have been away from the computer for the past several days -- in the "urban wilderness" of the Lost Angeles area, if you're curious -- so this is my first post to what has become a rather, ah, enthusiastic (yeah, that's the word) thread.

Speaking only for me, I think you've gotten some pretty decent responses to your query. Again speaking only for me, I suspect that many of the true experts on this board (and their number is legion) are welcoming of questions and etc. One must also recognize that everyone will grow tired, from time to time, of being asked to respond to "What if this...?" and What if that...?" challenges. This isn't right and this isn't wrong. However, it IS decidedly human.

It is clear that you place a lot of value on the outcomes of this discussion. It seems to me, at least, that you're getting frustrated because it isn't going the way you hoped it would. That is not your fault, nor is it the fault of anyone on this Board. That is, plainly and simply, one of the realities of human experience.

Let's revisit the core of your original post: "... drop you off in the middle of the woods..."

Believe it or not, this does NOT describe a universal situation. The woods (and swamps and marshes) of the central Gulf Coast -- where I grew up -- are quite different from the woods of coastal Oregon and Washington. Both are considerably different from the woods of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, and from the woods of New England. ALL OF THEM are quite different from the "woods" of South America and Southeast Asia. Heck, here in California the "woods" on the WESTERN slopes of the Sierras are significantly different from those on the EASTERN slopes.

================================================== ==

Now, given all of the above, it should be no surprise that responses to your challenge - and the experiences from which they are drawn - differ widely. With that said, and with all due respect, perhaps your best moves at this point are to (a) take a step back, (b) take a few deep breaths, (c) review all of the responses your original post received, and (d) examine the lessons each of them offers.

You see, MichMetal, it is not in your long-term best interest to force yourself (and us) into a binary, win-lose, right-wrong, light-dark, good-bad, relationship. Why? Because, in such a relationship on this Board, you are forcing yourself into the lose-wrong-dark-bad position. This isn't good for you, either here or elsewhere.

Regards to all,

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-15-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Sorry about that MM. If it hadn't of been for loading up a 16 hand Fox Trotter Mare and taking her away from the colt she dropped 10 weeks ago. I 'd of shared some "real outdoor survivalist" knowledge with ya. These guys are kind of rough around the edges. It comes with age and experience. That is why I hang around even though they can be a little rough if your skin is thin. Hang in there your skin will get thicker with experience. First you gotta be weaned from your mother. Hence I had to pick up the Mare, see it is how life works. Throwing a "hissy" fit all of the sudden doesn't work anymore.
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 05-15-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Sorry about that MM. If it hadn't of been for loading up a 16 hand Fox Trotter Mare and taking her away from the colt she dropped 10 weeks ago. I 'd of shared some "real outdoor survivalist" knowledge with ya. These guys are kind of rough around the edges. It comes with age and experience. That is why I hang around even though they can be a little rough if your skin is thin. Hang in there your skin will get thicker with experience. First you gotta be weaned from your mother. Hence I had to pick up the Mare, see it is how life works. Throwing a "hissy" fit all of the sudden doesn't work anymore.
    CowBoy no problem, it was probably wrong of me to make all encompassing statements as i'm sure there are a lot of highly knowledge and friendly members on here. In terms of the hissy fit comment and thin skin etc...it's not about that, if some of the members would of just said we get these threads all the time and they get tiresome I would of respected that and let it go, and maybe even had the thread closed if it were such a big deal. But that's not what they did, they disrespected me for no good reason. Acting like that doesn't make someone tough, in fact it's the opposite, but anyway i'm not going to keep dragging this out, it is what it is.

The reason I joined this forum was to learn more about outdoors survivalist techniques and tidbits, so that I can one day soon start pursuing it as a hobby, and with the hopes that if something were to go wrong i'd have the knowledge I need to survive, so that I can come back in one piece to my missus. So yes I do take survivalist discussions serious, because the outdoors aren't a joke. In terms of your rough around the edges statement, I find that interesting as one would think that hardcore outdoors men would be some of the humblest people on the planet... considering how brutal nature can be. I honestly don't see how a man can't be humbled in such raw environments where the smallest thing can take you out.

@Daniel Nighteyes i'll take another look over posts, thanks.

Young man. I appreciate your quest to learn.

A few points.

1. Being older equates to experience.

2. Nobody deserves respect. It is sometimes earned and often given.

In response to your question in the OP. Gotta paraphrase a French knight at Agincourt in Shakespeare's "Henvy IV".

"I dare not say in fear it may not be true".

Anybody can say "Hell yeah, I'll survive" One vine, one loose rock, one snakebite, and you will not. Doing everything right merely enhances your chances.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

If someone were to blind fold you, and drop you off in the middle of the woods, with nothing but the cloths on your back, and decent pair of boots, could you survive? To make things a little easier, it's be mid spring so temperatures comfortable during the day.

I know with my limited knowledge I couldn't survive, but i'd try my best. I'd look for a decent(off the ground if possible) form of shelter, then look for a rock to use as a knife, briefly look for water depending on how much daylights left, but mainly focus on trying to make a fire using bow drill(with a shoe lace or rip part of my shirt) or hand drill, so i don't get hypo during the night. Granted since i've never done any of this before, my chances probably wouldn't be the best heh.
    MM, for the record people who haven't hardly any outdoor experience or gear have survived really tough situations. On the flip side, many experienced people have perished even with a backpack full of gear. That being said look at your post. You say it's spring, is it raining or not? Where in the world are we? Also please note that you won't survive, not because of your lack of knowledge, but with your "loser's attitude." The "will to live" is the strongest, best survival tool that we have! For actual true stories about this check out the survival stories on my blog. Your scenario is ludicrous. You say it was for "fun." Camping out is fun, but when it goes bad then it stops being fun and becomes a fight for life. Your just being unrealistic, that's all. You admit to being inexperienced and it shows here in your thread. Not meaning to give offense, I just call 'em like I see 'em. If you don't like the answers then don't ask the question.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I asked you several posts back what YOU would do. You didn't bother to answer it. Instead of offering quality feedback you chose to ignore my question. How is that any different?
    Rick, he actually answered that question in the OP when he said that he knew he wouldn't make it.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

MM,

My grandfather always said that God gave you two ears and one mouth because you should listen twice as much as you talk. The folks here in which you continue to banter have helped me a great bunch. I am 27 and still view myself a child in some ways. Just because you are 25 doesn't mean squat. Since everyone is trying to be nice to you in this section, I'll straight up say it. You wannna learn something? Sit down, shut up, and listen. You wanna be demeaning and inconsiderate? There's the door and don't let it hit you where the good Lord split you.

Administrators and moderators my now pm hate messages to me!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten