Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting My Tiller to Run Propane

The oil tycoons have gas, too. I don't think that came out right.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I am with Hunter and God on this one......
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

ya need to gather up some horse poo and make methane to run your tiller. Getting it compressed into cylinder may be the challenge. Neat stuff with the propane, I'm going to have to try it.

Now how are you going to get a horse to fart in a tank!? To bad we still don't have dinosaurs. Now THAT'S some methane.

(Here's Uncle Al's latest take on global warming)

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012...limate-change/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    ya need to gather up some horse poo and make methane to run your tiller. Getting it compressed into cylinder may be the challenge. Neat stuff with the propane, I'm going to have to try it.
    Just get a former military person to do it for you. Most have complained that they had to stuff 10 pounds of s*** into a 5 pound bag.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Update...I haven't got to try it out again it has rained every evening all week. I did pick up a couple of extra tanks the fat ones for camp and will try them upright for kicks and giggles. Also, I am trying to get my head around the need or no need for a regulator. The valve is set barely cracked, I can't imagine a regulator making a difference. I am wondering about a mixer?
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 05-17-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

I think a regulator may help as the tank of gas gets used up, the reg would keep the pressure stable. It may not matter but it may not hurt either. I would use a adjustable model that utilizes a hand wheel for adjustment.

Rick, Rick, Rick, Rick, you never cease to amaze me with your out of the box thinking, stinking thinking, I'm thinking LOL. That would be a well trained horse for sure LOL.

Ten pounds of stuff in a five pound bag is a challenge I'm face with often. As a HVAC contractor I have found that the furnace room is the absolute smallest room in the house. We install furnaces with shoe horns LOL.

Just for grins have you talked to a local propane seller, bulk plant, type guy?

We ran all of our fork trucks on propane in the factory, but I didn't work on any.
    There wasn't a regulator on the tank or hose,unless that was with the gauge on the tank?....... but I'm thinking that you might be able to control consumption some, as I sure excess gas would just flash off if you had too much?

Trailers are the worst as far as stuffing everything HVAC in a closet, can't even reach the side or back.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

most engines use a converter rather than a regulator. Works sort of the same way. I'm not sure if a regulator would work with liquid propane, vapour only perhaps. The liquid may freeze the diaphragm. As a wee lad the family ran the sawmill, pickup, and swamp buggy on propane. My brother and I would hand pump 100 pound cylinders on a old platform grain scale. Granddad had a old liquid pump that utilized a handle very similar to a cant hook handle. My brother and I would push pull until the tank was full.

Now, that's just slick. The oil companies want you to use propane. The gov'ment doesn't. They want you to use ethanol. I need to try that on my mower.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Now, that's just slick. The oil companies want you to use propane. The gov'ment doesn't. They want you to use ethanol. I need to try that on my mower.
    There are some mower conversions on you tube. Most ran the fuel line in through the air breather. But then the carb is connected to the tank on the mower most of the time.