Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting My Tiller to Run Propane

Default Converting My Tiller to Run Propane

Just got home with all the plumbing I think I will need. I will let you know how it goes. The plan is to use a torch head for the throttle control. I am not thinking I need a regulator for this size of motor (I think it is a 5.5hp). I have attached fuel line hose from the parts store and plan to feed direct to the carb fuel inlet. I may have to remove the needle and float (not sure). Anyways that is the plan! Has anyone done something like this? I'll post pics when i am done. The ole' lady has my camera.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Here it is! It works like a dang sewin' machine! Woot! Likes about 1/2 choke. The valve is barely cracked at full throttle! Immediately cleaned up the cylinder, alot of smoke followed by smooth rpm's! One pull everytime! Hardest thing about it is remembering to turn the valve off! Ethanol no more! Pics later on!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Very cool, .....so you just left the needle and float in?
    Regulator on tank?
    One of those torch head for a soldering torches?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I did not have to remove the needle or seat, just plumbed the hose straight to the fuel inlet. It ran better than it ever has. No regulator, but it might conserve fuel. Yes, a torch head just unscrew the tip and slide a 3/8" hose on, neck it down to 1/4" with a vacuum fitting and plumb straight to the fuel inlet.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Notice I removed the gas tank.

Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 05-12-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Now that is just cooler that sliced bread.........Looks like a 4 stroke, don't imagine a 2 stroke would as it need the oil in the gas for lube.
    I'm thinking that the gen set would be the cat's behing as the gas sits in it and I need to start and run pretty regular or it goes bad.
    Very cool.

I see the pup is helping you....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Now that is just cooler that sliced bread.........Looks like a 4 stroke, don't imagine a 2 stroke would as it need the oil in the gas for lube.
    I'm thinking that the gen set would be the cat's behing as the gas sits in it and I need to start and run pretty regular or it goes bad.
    Very cool.

I see the pup is helping you....LOL
    Yeah, the pup (Mossy) is growing like a weed! Like you said if you use it once or less a year convert to propane. What you see tilled and the test cranks, about 5 and let it run for a few minutes and that is what you get off a torch tank. I'll be getting a Mac Coupler to refill it.

Banned

Nice job! Did you notice much difference in the power output good or bad? Cleaner burning propane should add years of service life to your engine. I am curious about the fuel consumption rate. If you ever put a pencil to it would you mind sharing that info here? (lbs/hr)

@Hunter, do you use a fuel stabilizer in the fuel for your gen set? You might want to consider using aviation fuel (costs a bit more per gallon, but no power robbing ethanol and much more stable than auto gas. Your operting costs may actually be quiet comparable).
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 05-13-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast-Iron View Post
    Nice job! Did you notice much difference in the power output good or bad? Cleaner burning propane should add years of service life to your engine. I am curious about the fuel consumption rate. If you ever put a pencil to it would you mind sharing that info here? (lbs/hr)

@Hunter, do you use a fuel stabilizer in the fuel for your gen set? You might want to consider using aviation fuel (costs a bit more per gallon, but no power robbing ethanol and much more stable than auto gas. Your operting costs may actually be quiet comparable).
    I didn't have any noticeable power loss, the tiller still jerked my 6' 225lbs around just fine. 5.5hp is plenty on a 24" tiller anyhow. It was noticeably quieter, cleaner, and smoother running no misses, no backfires at all. I doubt it is cheaper, but for some applications it makes sense. I have cleaned and replaced the needle and seat on this tiller twice this year, the gas tank was also leakin' due to ethanol. Because of the carb problems, I am behind on my garden. Propane is about 2/3's the Btu's of gasoline, though I think it may be more apples to apples with 10% ethanol, soon to be more. Earlier I stated that it liked 1/2 choke. After working with it I found it prefered the choke closed and the throttle set on the rabbit. On another note I see neighbors all around with tillers put out to rust away, I am betting they are put out for carb issues. I may pick up a few on the cheap and try the conversion. I also want to try mounting the cannister upright to see how it works. I am not sure if feeding it liquid propane is necassary.
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 05-13-2012 at 08:47 AM.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Too cool! and that's a nice truck in the background too!

Great idea and execution.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Great idea and execution.
    Thanks everyone. If anyone wants to see just how easy it is just empty your tank and have a helper hold the torch with the nozzle removed inside the carb throat. Give it a second to fill and pull, you'll be amazed I know I was.

What sort of conversion would you have to do running propane gas instead of liquid? I'd be curious to see if there was much of a difference in how long the fuel lasts.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    What sort of conversion would you have to do running propane gas instead of liquid? I'd be curious to see if there was much of a difference in how long the fuel lasts.
    I am not convinced I am getting liquid propane with the can standing on end. I was going to try it upright today but, had other chores. We are getting ready for a new horse. Think about it, when your melting fluxcore wire to a plumbing fixture....your can is upright?

When it comes thru the nozzle, it should flash off into a gas, into the hose, as it looses pressure into the atmosphere.
    That's why I was asking about a regulator.

Yeah, it's only liquid in the tank. Once the pressure drops it converts to gas.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I mounted it downwards because it was convenient....I never thought I was filling the fuel bowl with liquid propane...just blowing past the needle and seat and through the main jet.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I am not convinced I am getting liquid propane with the can standing on end. I was going to try it upright today but, had other chores. We are getting ready for a new horse. Think about it, when your melting fluxcore wire to a plumbing fixture....your can is upright?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    When it comes thru the nozzle, it should flash off into a gas, into the hose, as it looses pressure into the atmosphere.
    That's why I was asking about a regulator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, it's only liquid in the tank. Once the pressure drops it converts to gas.
    Not sure what I was thinking. I knew that.....I really did.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It sure is'nt rocket science.... they never launched a rocket with propnae!~ or gas~!

Yeah, it's a lot like ballast tanks where you have compressed air. No, that's not right. I know. It's just like trim tanks that allow you to...no that's not right either. Were you ever on a ship where some guy lit some toilet paper and dropped it in the trough so it would roll to the next guy? Well, it's not like that either.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, it's a lot like ballast tanks where you have compressed air. No, that's not right. I know. It's just like trim tanks that allow you to...no that's not right either. Were you ever on a ship where some guy lit some toilet paper and dropped it in the trough so it would roll to the next guy? Well, it's not like that either.
    Niether, but it is fun trying something the oil tycoons would rather I didn't.