Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever heard of a BSA Ithaca rifle?

Nice rifle.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    7mm refers to the bullet size (.284)....many 7mm cartridges out there.
    You need to check exactly what it says on the barrel.
    Exactly!

There is 7x57 and 7mm magnum. Most new shooters do not know there are several seperate cartridges. My Lyman reloading handbook lists 9 different 7mm cartridges currently available.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Congradulations, a very fine momentoe from a respected one. Powerfull medicine.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Okay, the barrel is marked 7/MM, so I hope that means 7MM !

My son inherited the very same rifle. It is chambered in 7mm rem mag and is topped with a leupold 3x9. My question is, is there a synthetic stock that fits the rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie7734 View Post
    My son inherited the very same rifle. It is chambered in 7mm rem mag and is topped with a leupold 3x9. My question is, is there a synthetic stock that fits the rifle?
    With the Ithaca not being a rifle produced in the last few years, I doubt that you will find a synthetic stock for that rifle. Since mine was passed down from somebody I want to remember, I am just going to leave it as he had it!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Okay, the barrel is marked 7/MM, so I hope that means 7MM !
    WT here is a chep and easy way to find out.

Take the irlfe to a LGS. If they have any ammo supply at all you will find that they have 7x57 and 7mm mag on the shelf. Those are not calibers the "shoot'em and loot'em" crowd want. Both are way better gun/cartridge than that group knows what to do with.

Take a 7mm MAG cartridge and try to chamber it. Do not force anything. It probably will not fit in the magazine and probably will not even begin to chamber. The 7mag is much larger and longer than the 7x57.

After you find that the 7MAG will not work drop a 7x57 in the mag and try it. I just about guarentee it will feed from the mag and chamber.

If you feel really generous and well financed go ahead and buy the box of ammo that fits the rifle.

And to answer Aggie, synthetic stocks are put on today's rifles because they are CHEAP to produce and require no craftsmanship in the fitting. Your Ithica/BSA is classic of wood and steel, made when folks were still turning out rifles of merit. Leave it as it was produced. If you want a more stable shooting platform glass bed the action into the stock. There are enough black plastic rifles in the world, let yours be unique in its own merit..
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-03-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Maybe we will leave it as is......

I don;'t think that the Ithaca BSA rifles are considered a valuable classic rifle as far as I can tell. I looked up the price on this rifle and it surprised me that it wasn't worth as much as I thought it should be.
    The rifle has very good fit and finish, and looks as good as some of the high quality rifles sold today. But it is a beautiful classic rifle and deserves to be left in it's original condition. I think it is sad to take a beautiful old rifle, and turn it into a pices of tupperware!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I don;'t think that the Ithaca BSA rifles are considered a valuable classic rifle as far as I can tell. I looked up the price on this rifle and it surprised me that it wasn't worth as much as I thought it should be.
    The rifle has very good fit and finish, and looks as good as some of the high quality rifles sold today. But it is a beautiful classic rifle and deserves to be left in it's original condition. I think it is sad to take a beautiful old rifle, and turn it into a pices of tupperware!
    I agree with ya WT. Despite what the "value" is, you have a very good rifle in a fantastic caliber. It's a keeper!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

wildthang
    very curious to see what the rifle looks like i was just handed down a bse 7mm magnum and was wondering how good hey are. maybe u could tell me, i can see that this forum is from 2011 so i am guessing you have used the rifle by now. thank you
    Last edited by bradpaasch; 01-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.