Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever heard of a BSA Ithaca rifle?

Default Ever heard of a BSA Ithaca rifle?

One of the girls dad died 2 years ago, and i was very close to him. He was like my own dad, so last night her mom called me and told me to come and get my gun. I said what gun? She then told me that dad had told her to make sure and give me his favorite deer rifle.
    She didn't know what kind it was, or anything about it, and told me that she had forgotten to give it to me after he passed away.
    So I went over there, and she handed me a BSA Ithaca 7mm rifle. The rifle looks brand new, and is a beautiful rifle. The 4 power scope doesn't look too hot, but the rifle is almost flawless and has a good fit and finish.
    I will post a picture as soon as I can, but I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of this rifle?

I have never seen one, but in doing some research, seems this was one of the contracted for rifles sold by Herters back in the 60's and 70's.
    Also sold under the Ithaca name.
    BSA...Birmingham Small Arms company.

Was one of the first light 7mm Mag rifle offered, back in the day.....My favorite caliber for dropping anything I can see......
    Pic's would be nice.....but, Hey, Congrats, man,.... love those inherited rifles, always seem like you are still hunting with who ever it belonged to......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

BSA has a rich tradition in the arms making industry going back to the 1860s.

In England the arms trade has been risky so BSA branched out into ammo, optics, motorcycles and autos over the decades. They continued to make firearms and dropped other products for weapons manufactuer during both World Wars.

I am sure the BSA/Ithaca rifle is a BSA product of good quality contracted and sold by Ithaca. Colt did the same thing with the Sauer rifles during the '70s and Browning has done the same with several Japanese firms.

I will guarentee you it was not a cheap rifle when purchased and is probably of better quality than most on the market today.

7mm is a very good caliber, but what you will do with it in "shotgun only" Ohio is beyond me? Perhaps glass bed it, tune the trigger and make a 7mm long range rifle of it.

Be sure and check if it is 7x57 or 7mm mag, there is a great difference.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

In England the arms trade has been risky so BSA branched out into ammo, optics, motorcycles and autos over the decades. They continued to make firearms and dropped other products for weapons manufactuer during both World Wars.

I am sure the BSA/Ithaca rifle is a BSA product of good quality contracted and sold by Ithaca. Colt did the same thing with the Sauer rifles during the '70s and Browning has done the same with several Japanese firms.

I will guarentee you it was not a cheap rifle when purchased and is probably of better quality than most on the market today.

7mm is a very good caliber, but what you will do with it in "shotgun only" Ohio is beyond me? Perhaps glass bed it, tune the trigger and make a 7mm long range rifle of it.

Well it is definately a 7MM because I checked the markings on the barrel, and I got 6 boxes of handloaded rounds that dad loaded up for it.

Banned

Congrats on the "new" gun. I'm not familiar with that model but it seems your questions have already been addressed. Hunter63 makes a great observation. I have a 30-30 that belonged to a great-grandfather I never knew. That same gun was used by my grandfather when he hunted. I don't hunt with it, but when I take it out of the safe to clean and inspect it, I feel a like both men are somehow there with me. I can't imagine the scenario where I'd ever part with it (especially canoeing).

Well heres the pics men. Aint she a beut?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Yes it is. And even more special because of where it came from. Congrats! That's a great looking weapon. Keep it clear of canoes.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is my newest Savage 12F bull barrell .223 Varmint gun, 1 of 2. I haven't even scoped this one yet. I have 2 of them so I have extra parts is the S ever hits the Fan...........LOL Well it sounded like a good exciuse to me

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yes it is. And even more special because of where it came from. Congrats! That's a great looking weapon. Keep it clear of canoes.
    Advice taken Brotha! Especially your canoe

And Hunter's. His is the one with holes in the bottom from the snake shot.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Krat I go to Oklahoma at least twice a year and my sister has about 1200 acres. There is a lot of stuff to shoot there and I aint proud, I'll shoot a yote with a 7mm just to see how big of a hole I can blow in him! Plus I have a friend with a thousand yard range on his land so I can always shoot paper targets!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And Hunter's. His is the one with holes in the bottom from the snake shot.
    No way I'd get in a boat with Hunter and his shot gun

very nice rifle congrats

Thanks guys, I cant wait to shoot it! I have never shot a 7Mil but judging from the size and weight of the bullets, I am thinking that the recoil shouldn't be too bad. I can shoot 2 boxes of 30/06 at the range and I'm figuring my 30/06 kicks harder than the 7MM. I am going to rescope it with a 3x9 Lupy or Nikon, haven't decided!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If it is the 7x57 Mauser cartridge it will have only slightly more recoil than a .243. Very pleasant to shoot. I built my son a 7x57 when he started hunting deer. He was recoil sensitive and shot the 7mm very well. His first deer was a 325 yard shot that dropped the animal in its tracks.

Even without the recoil it will shoot right alongside the 30 calibers for drop and range due to the superior sectional density/exterior ballistics of the 7mm bullets.

Most factory 7x57 is now loaded with 140 gn bullets for the slow twist used in the modern rifles. If your rifle has 1-12 twist it will do fine with factory ammo. If your rifle has the 1-9 twist prefered in the older rifles it will need bullets in the 160-180 grain weight range. (same issue the m16 has going from the 50 gn bullets to the 70 gn slugs)

Mine shoots best with the 168 gn BTHP Siarra bullets and will not group factory ammo at all. It sends the 140 grain slugs through the target sideways. If you face this issue in your testing the rifle is not bad, it just wants the heavier bullets. Finding the heavier slugs in factory ammo is almost impossible, making reloading for the 7x57 almost mandatory if one has an older gun.

Save your empties. If you have issues with the rifle after testing PM me.

As a side note, the 7x57 was a favorite of the Dutch farmers in Africa known as the Boers. They used it on all the medium game and some animals we would not consider shooting with a 7mm. They fought the Brits to a standstill with the 7mm Mausers and were the reason the Brits began developing the P14 Enfield in a higher velocity cartride than the .303.

One professional hunter, DWM Bell, also known as Kilimajaro Bell, killed over 1,000 elephant using the 7x57. Not that I would advise such a thing. In fact, it is illigal in most Aftican nations to do so now. But the cartridge is a good one abnd has more potential than is given credit.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

So Kyrat, are you telling me that the 7MM and the 7X57 are close to the same cartridge? Hate to sound dumb, but this is the first 7MM I have owned, so I'm trying to catch up here! I realize the cartridges would not be interchangeable in the same rifle, but from the sounds of it, they are balistically close cousins, is that correct?

7mm refers to the bullet size (.284)....many 7mm cartridges out there.
    You need to check exactly what it says on the barrel.

Just doing a little research seem they reference the 7mm Remington mag as the cartridge that was imported by Ithaca, Herters etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7mm_Remington_Magnum

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...n_values_Birmi

7mm x57 is a different cartilage, mostly called 7mm Mauser:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7%C3%9757mm_Mauser

Very very nice rifle, done in the classic wood Monte Carlo stock, with high cheek piece......I just love this style!
    Stay out of canoes and boats.......
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-10-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: added link
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

Very very nice rifle, done in the classic wood Monte Carlo stock, with high cheek piece......
    Sadly, there are two things wrong with this rifle.

1. It is wrong-handed. [You see, Left is right and Right is wrong!]

2. It is in your gun safe, not mine.

Seriously though, congrats!

One professional hunter, DWM Bell, also known as Kilimajaro Bell, killed over 1,000 elephant using the 7x57. Not that I would advise such a thing. In fact, it is illigal in most Aftican nations to do so now. But the cartridge is a good one abnd has more potential than is given credit.[/QUOTE]

I told the girls that my friend Kyrat said that the gun will kill elephants, and they said how does he know. I said, well, you dont see any frickin elephants around here do you? They started throwing things at me:scared

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Sadly, there are two things wrong with this rifle.

1. It is wrong-handed. [You see, Left is right and Right is wrong!]

2. It is in your gun safe, not mine.

Seriously though, congrats!
    Thanks Daniel, the gun means a lot to me becaue dad thought enough of me to leave it for me. I just wish mom hadn't have forgot to give it to me for 2 years. But she is a very forgetful lady, so it is understandable!