Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Solo Overnight Report

Default First Solo Overnight Report

I went on my first solo overnight trip. I headed out on Monday around 9:30am which would normally take about one and a half hours to arrive to where I was planning on going. But I took two stops on the way. One to see if there could be a quick breakfast biscuit waiting for me at my parents office and to leave them a note where I was going, and the other was to pick up a few items, fill my water bottle with ice cold water, and use the bathroom with amenities. And I was back on the road.

I checked the weather for the area before I left and it called for a 30% chance on Monday and 60% chance on Tuesday for thunderstorms. I figured it would be alright and I would probably leave before any rain struck my area. When I got into the mountains, I could tell by the road that it had just rained and thought that finding some smaller pieces of wood might be a little hard, but still doable. I arrived to the parking area a little after noon.

I parked my car, sprayed on a little insect repellent, saddled up my pack, and off I went to one of the three national forests that junction there. About half a mile in, I noticed where a campground is. It had around 10 spots, some of which could accommodate large crowds, that had bear proof trash receptacles, places to hang your food high, lantern posts, a couple of picnic tables, and a lone restroom. It would be a great spot to have a regional meet-up. Everyone would have to hike in as it is not accessible by motor vehicles, but would be smooth enough to roll coolers to. It wasn’t really what I was looking for so I ventured onward.

I came across a couple of other places where people had previously set up camp along the river but I kept going. When I would come up to an area I would have liked to check out, there were always a couple already there. So onward I ventured till I found an awesome spot quite aways from everyone else. I was tired by now, so I took off my pack and overshirt, and took a nice long drink of water. It looked like a nice spot on the ground, but now to look up. Nope! This place wasn’t it! All around were dead trees and widow makers. Previous campers had chopped on the trees, effectively killing them. Two or three would have fallen straight where I would have set up my hammock and tarp. I grabbed my water bottle, and hiked on a little further.

I came across two girls and one guy and they started talking to me and asked if I had passed by a certain waterfall. No, it was on my list to go to, but I hadn’t passed and markers or trails for it. I asked them if there were any nice camping spots from where they came from and they said not for about another three miles. Argh! I went about another half mile past where I spoke to them and didn’t find anything, so I came to go back to the campground or see if any of the others had left.

I got back to where I left my pack and could tell my feet was starting to get blisters so I took off my socks and shoes to air them out a bit and took out a book I brought along and read for about 15 minutes. While I was inspecting my feet and feeling my socks for dampness, a butterfly flew right up and landed on my hand. How neat! It walked up and stuck out it mouthpiece and prodded my sock. I guess it didn’t like what it tasted because it shot something out that looked like pee on it. Just my luck to get peed on by a butterfly!

A little rested, I put my pack on and start heading back towards the campground. I came across one of the spots that previously held some campers. I checked it out and again, no good. Chops around the trees and effectively made widow makers. On to the next one and I scoped it out. It still had dead trees, but not as bad as the others. Tired, hot, and with sore feet, I decided to make this my camp.

(Continued...)
    Last edited by crashdive123; 04-23-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I arrived at 4:00pm and started setting up my hammock and tarp first. I then moved on to start prepping my fire wood. Everything was wet from the previous rain, the constant small sprinkles, and the humidity! Everything that was not wet was green or high up in the trees out of reach since everyone has grabbed anything within arm’s reach. Luckily, the previous people had found a dead pine tree and had left a section 8’ x 6” that I could use. The outside was still wet, so I got to work sawing it down to more manageable pieces and splitting it down to get to the dry insides. It was quite a bit of work. Since it was so big, and I had to use my tomahawk to split off the side and work my way in circles toward the center. But I got it done and started my supper of broccoli cheese rice mixed with some ramen noodles and coffee while watching the trout jump around in the river.

My spot
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

River to the right

River to the left

It started sprinkling a little bit more so I put everything underneath my tarp and on top of the ground tarp I had set. To keep from having to spend time in the morning to bring my water to a rolling boil for breakfast, I went ahead and boiled my water then. To make it a little easier for me, I took two of the logs I still had left and flattened the tops of them, spaced them apart and made something like a miniature stove Nessmuk writes about. It worked pretty well. For something set for a longer base, I could see this as a method I’d use often. On an overnight, I’d rather just stick my pot directly in the fire as it doesn’t involve any work and I’m usually just eating something that needs hot water. I covered my sterilized water and hung it out of the way, put all of my food items and such in a trash bag and hung it high up in a tree. It’s 8:00pm and nothing left for me to do in the sprinkling rain, so it’s to my hammock with the book.

Boiling the water

I read as much as I could till it got too dark, so I put on my head lamp with the red light and read till around 8:30pm. The sprinkle had turned into a steady rain was coming down pretty good. Ok, I usually go to bed around 10:30pm but have went to bed earlier. Tonight would be one of those earlier nights. I laid in bed trying to go to sleep but just couldn’t. It had gotten dark by now and I started seeing things. Are those eyes look back at me!? I fumbled for my light and turned it on. Nothing. It took me a few seconds to realize that I was seeing lightning bugs. The same ones I’ve been seeing since I got there. Silly me. The rain was now coming down hard. The thumping of heavy rain drops all around me was a roar and I could hardly hear myself think. What was that!? I just heard the leaves next to me rustle. Is it some animal coming to take shelter with me? “Get on out of here!” I yelled out a couple of time. My flashlight was down below me. Braving an attack on my hand from some wild critter, I quickly reached down and grabbed it to take a look. What did I see? Water was catching at a low spot on my tarp and when it would overflow, it would land on the leaves right beside me. I was made a fool, yet again. Why is my check a little damp? I shined my light and saw a very slight mist around me. Is my tarp having some issues? I felt the underside. No, it’s all dry up there. I took a closer look under me. Large black ants had started taking cover under my shelter (Don’t I have the worst luck with ants). Though it was better than the alternative, it was not the best place for them. The rain hitting the ground all around me had made a mist and soaked everything that was underneath me under my tarp. My pack, firewood, tomahawk, everything. Nothing I can do about it now, back to trying to fall asleep.

I woke up many times during the middle of the night tossing and turning. Nothing too unusual for me. Hoping, I could have gotten more rest, I lazily got out of the hammock around 10:00am. Let’s see if I can get this fire going and dry off some of my stuff and have breakfast. After a little while, I decided to break out a tea candle and make some smaller pieces of wood from the insides of the wet wood I already had. After about 30 minutes of trying, I finally got a nice drying fire going. I put my already sterile water on the fire to heat it up a little for oatmeal and coffee. Hung up my ground tarp to dry and knock off the dirt, sand, and leaves. In the middle of my eating and drinking of lunch, I packed everything up. Poured the rest of the water into my water bottle to top it off, made sure of the fire being out, and headed out back toward my car.

While I’m not too worried about raccoons stealing my food, getting bit by snakes, and other animal encounters; I am afraid of meeting a bear while out. I have never seen one out in the wild, and I don’t hope to ever cross paths with one. There are bears in the area I was in, so randomly around camp I would make some sort of noise and especially if I thought I heard something. I did this very often when I arrived at my camp site till the next morning. Was that the wind blowing or a bear? Better make some noise!

I believe this is/was a box to report bear sightings?

As most of you know, I like to hike around or to waterfalls since they give me a goal and destination to reach. This trip wasn’t unlike any of the others in that regard. I have knocked out one more off of my list.

King’s Creek Falls
    Last edited by crashdive123; 04-23-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    ~Rocky Balboa

While it may have been my first solo overnight experience, it won’t be my last. Sometime in the future, I will be staying out overnight with just my water bottle and carrier, but probably in an area closer to home that I have more experience with and will have to work up to that type of confidence. With as much that happened that I wasn’t expecting, I can now more understand why many panic when they get lost in the woods or have to stay the night out without any prior planning.

I also guess it didn’t help that my girlfriend lent me a book of ‘true’ short stories called “Appalachian Ghosts” that I read the day before. Maybe she’s hinting that I better stay around closer to home or she’ll make me into an Appalachian ghost? I’ve said it before: She may be small, but she can be fierce!
    ~Rocky Balboa

Good write up. Thanks for sharing. I learn something every time I go out. Usually more from the misadventures than from the adventures. Let me offer a couple of suggestions that could provide you a big benefit.

1. New boots. Your boots should not be hurting your feet whether you've been hiking a couple of hours or a couple of days. You can pick up a good pair of hiking boots for a modest sum if you look around. A great pair of boots will cost more. But a good quality pair should benefit you since you aren't spending weeks at a time on the trail. Have them fitted by a competent salesperson not just some high school kid working week-ends. Then break them in before you hike. Finally, learn how to properly tie them so they support your feet in the type of terrain you find yourself in. Bad boots=bad feet=short trip.

2. Leaving a note is a good idea but there are better ways to do it. Your parents know about where you are so SAR at least knows which state you're in. Here's a trip plan you can use that's put together by the British Columbia SAR. I use it for every trip I go on.

http://www.bcsara.com/docs/TripPlan_r1.pdf

I generally take a look at Google Earth and retrieve the GPS coordinates for my destination I'll be in as well as where I intend to park. That gives SAR a specific location to start from and some idea of where I'm heading. If I deviate then a phone call provides my new GPS coordinates. A little research on the front end will pay big dividends if something goes awry.

I think you were very smart to boil your water as soon as you arrived. Do as much as you can when you can do it. As you learned the next morning was not suitable for building a fire so having done the task put you ahead of the game. You could have captured rain water of course but the point is do the task when you can because something may happen if you put it off that will prevent you from doing it.

Thanks for sharing your trip!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice write up. Looks like you had a good trip.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Great read and photos. What a beautiful spot. Thanks for sharing this. Made my morning.

Really enjoyed reading your story. Nice photos as well. Ive always told my friends who do alot of solo trips its always wise to keep a journal with you so you can write about your every experience. Ill have to do one soon!
    --GiLLiGaNN--

Nice spot and writeup. Being in the woods at night alone will set most folks nerves on end. Its what you cant see, and add the noise of rain or wind and the adrenlin can spike alot easier. 99% of the noises are harmless but the brain still keeps you on edge. Thanks for the adventure.

Way to go Ranger! Boots in the field!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I do most of my backpacking alone. When I first moved up here to the great state, I had to totally quit watching scary movies or I would end up scaring myself when out alone. I still did it but it was a bit easier.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Nice pics and writeup.

You can actually make a breathable tarp start leaking by touching the underside. +1 on front loading your water.

Thanks for taking us along.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Always enjoy tagging along on the adventure.
    Nice job on the write up and super pic's.....Thanks!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Rick:
    I can't remember the last time I wore "boots." When I'm out, I wear a pair of Merrell Tennis shoes with a goretex lining. I've been wearing them for 4 years or so and I've put a lot of miles on them. I powdered my feet before I headed out and so I wonder if the high humidity, sweat, cotton socks, and my speed played a factor in my feet wanting to start blistering? Before I headed out, I changed my shoe strings and was going to do a hiking lace but I only have 5 pairs of eyelets to go through, so I just locked lace my strings.
    That trip plan is pretty awesome!
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Stairman View Post
    Nice spot and writeup. Being in the woods at night alone will set most folks nerves on end. Its what you cant see, and add the noise of rain or wind and the adrenlin can spike alot easier.

Yeah, especially when you're camping alone in Deliverance country.

Glad you had a good time.

S.M.

i enjoy going out alone at glad you enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Yeah, especially when you're camping alone in Deliverance country.

Glad you had a good time.

S.M.
    The area I was in was actually where the movie Deliverance was filmed. I didn't see Burt Reynolds though.
    ~Rocky Balboa

Yeah, but did you hear any pigs squeal?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ranger I wish I could have been there with a Big Foot suit. I would have scared the HE double L out of you I have always wanted to do that, but I have this fear of flying lead

Nice write up. I enjoy going out alone. It helps me recharge. It also helps that I am not scared of the devil!

There is more danger in town even with a group of friends, than when you are alone in the wilderness.