Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Solo Overnight Report

Good write up and pics! Despite the rain, it looked like it was perfectly enjoyable.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Just an observation........You said this was the first solo overnighter?

Anyway, I find that I need at least 3 nites to really get comfortable with sleeping on the ground, (haven't even though of using a hammock for years, no reason just haven't).
    I think your body just relaxes and allows you to just cave in,....and get comfortable, anywhere........or by then you are just so tired it doesn't matter you just sleep out of exhaustion....LOL
    Same with the noises, your mind isn't 'tuned" to the woods yet, still on "city mode".....

I'm sure that since the beginning of time the sights, noises, smells, along with a self preservation instinct, need adjusting,... that one nite just isn't long enough.......at least for me.

Just relaxing your mind, is close to sleeping, so if you can't sleep, don't worry about it.....You will sleep when you are ready.

Nice job on the report..got my nomination for the "Boots in the Field', thing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I get woke up by things sniffing my tent or my hammock. I am never really sure they are there.

For instance I woke up last time I was sleeping in my hammock and was sure I had something pressing its nose against my side and sniffing. I woke up and laid there listening. Then just dosed off again after nothing else happened.

The same thing happens occasionally with tents where something seems to be investigating the tent. I almost never hear them once I wake up.

I spend most of my nights in the woods in a tent with a cot. I sleep better in that cot than I do in any bed but my own.

I am still learning the hammock. So I will wake up a couple of times a night. But, in my tent and cot I may not wake up at all during the night.

We don't bear proof our camp. But, the same guide lines apply for racoons and bears. NO FOOD in the tent or hammock!

Anyways, great trip out even with the weather. Thanks for sharing.

Wait till you get older. Just waking up a few times a night will be a blessing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blessing he**. It's a necessity if you want a dry tent.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You sure found a great spot. I'm not much for solo adventures, I like to talk too much and get bored without a partner, but I cover more ground solo.

I'm surprised you didn't eat some crawdads for breakfast, slacker.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Blessing he**. It's a necessity if you want a dry tent.
    "P" jug....saves all the shuffling around in the dark, ya know with the boogie bears and such.........

Enjoyed your pictures and the write up. My parents and sisters use to go to north Georgia camping above Dahlonega, and many times just a little rain caused some floods in the state parks that they were staying in. Did the river next to your camp, come up at all?

It came up just a little, not very much. The turbidity increased a lot. Before, I could see the bottom and fish, but not after the rain.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

That area looks like a really cool place to camp! I love the photo of the waterfalls.

What a nice story. I enjoyed reading it. I have my first solo overnighter still in planning. Maybe i am kind a affraid. Mostly from rabies infected foxes. We got them much here...

_________
    Via Tapatalk
    CroPrepper YT Channel youtube.com/user/CroPrepper

I can't see the pictures... it says I am a guest and have to register! D:

Anyways, nice post.
    I remember the first few times sleeping alone in the woods as being pretty similar: paranoia settles in for every single damn little noise.
    As hunter63 says, it's about letting your mind getting "tuned to the forest". It'll learn to ignore the irrelevant noises.
    The problem is that our brain analyzes all the noises subconsciously while we sleep, hence why even though we are not consciously being stressed by those, it will awake us and send adrenaline.
    Last edited by payne; 04-23-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Pic's aren't working for me either....again.

Try em now.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The most scared I have ever been on an overnight was when I was with a group and we heard a fox screaming....except we didn't know what it was. That is one creepy scream. I would have slept better if I had known what it was, or if my dog would have been there. With my dog, if she is barking...then it is somewhat big and close. If she isn't barking.....go back to sleep.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Unless, of course, it was so big she thought, "good luck", and hit the trail running. You know the old adage. I don't have to be faster than the big thing just faster than my master. (That's the dog version of course)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    The most scared I have ever been on an overnight was when I was with a group and we heard a fox screaming....except we didn't know what it was. That is one creepy scream. I would have slept better if I had known what it was, or if my dog would have been there. With my dog, if she is barking...then it is somewhat big and close. If she isn't barking.....go back to sleep.
    The first time I heard a fox call, it was dusk and behind a friend's house. I thought it was a woman being raped or something, so I was getting ready to go out and rescue some poor soul from their attacker. Now I know what I heard was actually a mating call.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I would venture to say that having it rain was a better experience as it helped you to plan what you would do after it quit. While not as enjoyable as clear weather, you gained more experience.

Red
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by redromad View Post
    I would venture to say that having it rain was a better experience as it helped you to plan what you would do after it quit. While not as enjoyable as clear weather, you gained more experience.

Red
    Dead on....you find out how stuff work/don't work.... really fast, and hopefully you end up the week with a few "Well I won't be doing THAT again"....as well as the, "Hey cool that works really slick".

Cool Picts, thanx for sharing! Haven't been freaked out in the woods for a long time. We have bears but they avoid people. I'd rather be in a hammock, never liked the point of being in a tent and not being able to see what's going on 2' from me.