Thread: COLD Sucks & I am clueless to survive it......Really.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default COLD Sucks & I am clueless to survive it......Really.

winter.jpgI have 42 years in the Arctic and Sub-Arctic. I have experimented, researched, studied & I swear I have yet to find a way to survive the cold without a lot of gear. Just the gear needed for a single overnight nearly fills a large pack. I sold my snow machine about six weeks ago, and the absents of the machine and sled has compelled me into a starker reality. I am either going to have to buy a new pull behind sled, or improve the existing ones.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-04-2012 at 10:57 PM.

What drove you to sell you snow machine? I can't imagine being in your position and not having one. I wish we would get some snow and ice here so I can use mine to go fishing. Several guy's I work with spent $13,000 for new ones last spring and there isn't any place to go and use them. Have you thought about a 4 wheeler with tracks? I know they are expensive, but you could use it all year long, and they are better in the mud than with wheels.

What's wrong with the sled in the picture? Rick has some http://www.safezonellc.com/sleds.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The sled in the picture appears to be laden with white lightning....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Water from the stream I would think.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Water from the stream I would think.
    Or maybe tequila....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    What's wrong with the sled in the picture? Rick has some http://www.safezonellc.com/sleds.html
    It is a good sled, I need to add some runner so it will track straight on the side hill.

Would something as simple as a pvc center keel, or pvc runners on the edges work?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    What drove you to sell you snow machine? I can't imagine being in your position and not having one. I wish we would get some snow and ice here so I can use mine to go fishing. Several guy's I work with spent $13,000 for new ones last spring and there isn't any place to go and use them. Have you thought about a 4 wheeler with tracks? I know they are expensive, but you could use it all year long, and they are better in the mud than with wheels.
    I was out of money and needed to recapitalize the construction project. I had bought it for $9,999.-- and was able to sell it for $9,990.-- so I lost nine dollars, but I got to use it for three years. I am in the process of managing the final useful segment of my life.

You really need a dog.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

If you're alive, can you truly say that you haven't survived??? Maybe you are referring to something else?

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    You really need a dog.
    Or a bunch of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    You really need a dog.
    Or three. You know, for those three-dog nights...

Sourdough, it's too bad that somebody hasn't invented a pull behind sled with a small snowthrower motor and a cylindrical traction wheel in the rear part of the sled. A sled like that could be sold for less than $500 and would beat the heck out of pulling all of that moonshine up a large hill.

I've actually found that whatever weather I want to avoid I just buy gear to survive it then it never happens. 4 wheel drive, sleds, skis and snowshoes and about 2 inches of snow since. Rain gear, pack covers, ponchos and water boots and we're 4 inches under normal.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hehehe. I hung onto my snow skis for about 15 years after moving here. Thought for sure we'd get a big blizzard after I sold em.........still waiting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'd move to a warmer climate...seriously.

I don't think it's possible to survive the cold, cold conditions without a lot of gear. I'm wracking my noggin of a native group that has done it and can't come up with any much less a single person on their own. Thinking of the sammi, evank eskimo, etc.

It all depends upon the level of comfort that you are willing to have. I know that I don't need to tell any Alaskan about Dick Proenneke. He didn't seem to have a whole lot of gear. He did, however, have Babe Alsworth to fly in his supplies to Twin Lakes for him.

I know of no way to survive cold without lots of clothing, insulated boots, gloves, hat, and spare socks and underware. Cold climates totally do away with being able to travel light, and that is just how it is. I actually have a large cammo bag with extra clothing, and a down sleeping bag that I keep with my BOB in the winter. And I figure that I am just going to have to carry that bag to survive if I ever have to bug out or get stuck somewhere.