Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could this be true?

I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm not trying to mock your posts. It was my feeble attempt at humor. Is the plant a threat? Of course. Will it add to health concerns in the future? No one can say. Am I going to worry about it? Not in the least. I'll file it right along side asteroid threads and super volcanoes. I can't do a thing about it so I'll focus my efforts where I can have an impact such as fire or tornado.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Cast Iron, I agree with your logic, and all this does concern me. Since we all call ourselves survivors here, one would think that a major threat like Fukashima would be at least somewhat a concern.
    There are many organizations that have huge reasons to hide the severity of this disaster, and it wouldn't be the first time. Huge amounts of radiation has escaped and become more or less uncontainable at Fukashima, and there is a very valid reason to be concerned.
    Now there probably isn't a lot we can do about it, but blowing it off as a non issue is not going to help anything. May it's because most of the people on here are so old, they figure they will be gone by the time a true catastophy happens, and obviously the dont care about future generations.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post

Maybe it's because most of the people on here are so old, they figure they will be gone by the time a catastrophe happens, and obviously they don't care about future generations.

OK, I will "Man-up" and throw gasoline on the fire. I am 65 years old and have NO children. I will confess that I have more empathy compassion, and caring for the planet Earth than I do for the future generations of off-spring from the fools who greedily raped & mutilated the Earth.

Do I care about future generations of Humans........NO.

Does my heart bleed for all other life on planet Earth......YES.

(Humans are "Cancer".......Unbelieveable that we would destroy our own life support system)

Yep! lots of old guys on here! Had a boss that was an "old guy", everytime I pointed out equipment was at or beyond it's usable life span he'd say...."It'll last untill I retire" You know what he was right! He got fired last year, and left us with the reputation of the "We cannot do it plant". Now, The equipment is failing and 130 of us are left to pick up the pieces. Smaller scale, but it IS what is and has happened to the earth.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    OK, I will "Man-up" and throw gasoline on the fire. I am 65 years old and have NO children. I will confess that I have more empathy compassion, and caring for the planet Earth than I do for the future generations of off-spring from the fools who greedily raped & mutilated the Earth.

(Humans are "Cancer".......Unbelieveable that we would destroy our own life support system)
    Sourdough, I appreciate your frank and honest response. We, through the use of innovation and discovery, have evolved to the frightening capacity to destroy our planet under the guise of civilization. Many native people who lived here before the arrival of the Europeans, had a history of living within the capacity of nature. These tribes or nations lived here for thousands of years. If you look at the decendants of those people today you will likely find little resemblence to the lifestyle which served their ancesters so well. Rates of diabetes, obesity, and alcoholism are epedemic.
    We created this nuclear beast, and only we have the ability to resolve it. If we continue to ignore the lessons of our failures, the magnitude of future disasters will only grow exponentially. As individuals, we won't make much of a difference in our destiny. As a united voice, our opportunities for meaningful change are only limited by the resolve of the powers that we allow to be.

I don't think age has anything to do with it....but more a matter of worrying about the things you can change or make better.
    Wringing your hankie, and bemoaning the things you can't change, serves no useful purpose.

"God, grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    and wisdom to know the difference."

......and the good luck not to f@#K up too much.........No whining.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

I totally agree, bemoaning the things you cannot change serves no one. But I argue that if we become better informed about the problems which threaten our very existence, we can coherce our decision/policy makers to pursue safer, more sustainable alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post

Hunter I have to agree with you on the Humans are a cancer statement. And I also agree with the fact that we are killing mother earth. It seems we have already gone past the point of no return. If the entire world doesn't agree to save the earth, it aint going to happen. Getting that many people to agree on anything is impossible, so mother earth is doomed.
    It is sad that mankind has the intelligence to create all of our technology, but doesn't have the sense to conserve the planet we live on.
    I have 2 wonderful kids that are smart hard working young people, and I would like to see them have the same prosperous successful life I have had. The chances of that are slim considering the circumstances. I would like to think that some day mother earth will wipe the slate clean, and I only hope that it is after my kids have led a full life.
    I also hope that when she renders mankind extinct, she has the power to heal herself from the damage we have caused.

I have news for you. Mother Earth could give a tinkers dang what we do. We have no capacity to destroy the planet. Perhaps our ability to live on it but Mother Earth will be just fine 100 million years from now. If not, it won't be from anything we did.

No one blew it off as a non-issue. It's not a controllable issue so I put my resources where it does the most good. Your age comment is ill conceived as well. I have three kids and five grand kids. How many do you have? I probably have a lot more concern for the future than most half my age and I'll guarantee you I have been recycling longer than most of them have been alive.

I just don't get folks lamenting black helicopters and clandestine governments and dangers in far away places that they can do nothing about.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have news for you. Mother Earth could give a tinkers dang what we do. We have no capacity to destroy the planet. Perhaps our ability to live on it but Mother Earth will be just fine 100 million years from now. If not, it won't be from anything we did.

No one blew it off as a non-issue. It's not a controllable issue so I put my resources where it does the most good. Your age comment is ill conceived as well. I have three kids and five grand kids. How many do you have? I probably have a lot more concern for the future than most half my age and I'll guarantee you I have been recycling longer than most of them have been alive.

I just don't get folks lamenting black helicopters and clandestine governments and dangers in far away places that they can do nothing about.
    Okay, if that crap ever blows over here I wont say I told you so I know we can't do anything about it, but it concerns me! And yes we cant destroy the earth, but we can destroy it's ability to support us, and we are getting there faster than we think. Remember Chernobly, a very large area that will be uninhabitable for a long friggin time, and Fukashima is a much larger threat than that!

I'll give you youngsters a quick history lesson. Maybe some old folks, too.

I grew up in an era of open air, above ground testing of nuclear and hydrogen bombs. When I was a kid you couldn't eat the snow because it was radioactive. That was from tests half a continent and half a world away. So a radioactive hole in Japan doesn't send shivers down most of our backs. Been there, done that kind of thing. It's not good. But I can't change it.

And man didn't rape the earth to rape the earth. He just didn't know any better in most cases. No one thought coal or oil was finite. Quite the opposite. Everything was infinite. It wasn't until 1962 when Rachel Carson published her book, Silent Spring, about DDT usage that the whole environmental movement started. It was like everyone said, "Hey, wait a minute. Look what we've done." It still took another 10 years to ban DDT because there wasn't anything better. Say what you want but we don't have a malaria problem in the U.S. anymore because of DDT.

I'll bet I could walk into most of your yards and find violations of one kind or another. Or in your garage or in your home. The point is we complain and then do what we want because it's up to the other guy to change. My wife and I started recycling when we got married in .... well, a long long time ago. And we taught our kids to do the same. To this day my sons will take out of the woods more than they took in because they pick up other peoples trash.

I didn't worry about Three Mile Island or Chernobyl and I haven't worried about Japan. I can't fix it so why should I worry about it? And I don't have to fret over it to know to tell my representative not to support nuclear power (which, by the way I don't support. I know some on here do and that's fine).

Not to hijack the thread, but Silent Spring was based on a lot of junk science. The hysteria that followed, as we know caused the banning of DDT. While malaria is not an issue here - it is in many parts of the world. IMO - Rachel Carson is responsible for millions and millions of deaths world wide.

>>>sorry for the mini rant<<<
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel