Thread: Hey Guys

Default Hey Guys

I'm very "green" when it comes to primitive survival stuff, I been watching various outdoor survivor related shows, and various youtube videos. I'm determined to make fire off a hand drill, my missus doesn't think i can pull it off, I'm going to show her I can. I just ordered my first knife off ebay yesterday and i'm determined to hand drill it up. I plan on rewatching various dual survivor, etc... tv shows and taking notes as well. I believe I heard there's something like 25 different primitive methods to fire making. I've seen bow drill videos but that doesn't interest me, looks too easy, hand drill is where it's at. I find it interesting when it comes to survival the most difficult aspect(food) is least important. Having to learn about medical, and editable plants as well as dangerous ones, learn about hunting, skinning, etc...when your body can easily go a few weeks at least without food, depending on how fat you are. Anyway fire building is my short term goal, want to become awesome at that, first hand drill, other friction methods then maybe sun methods. Seen a guy make a fire with a water bottle haha.

Howdy and welcome! Pull up a seat and kick up your feet. Lot's of good info here and even better folks.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Blog Entries

Cool Howdy from Sarge!

Welcome stranger, just don't accidently set your wife on fire, okay? Also, don't pay a whole lot of attention to what you see on TV. It's best to get some "one on one" from a face to face teacher.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Welcome aboard, buddy. Enjoy your stay here. Hope you learn lots and share lots. Bless you.

Howdy from the Hoosier state!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Hello and welcome. I'd be willing to wager that everybody that described their first time using a bow drill used very descriptive words.......and easy was probably not one of them. With practice and repetition things become easier, but easy? Not quite. You should really try it. Additionally - while it is true that you can go for fairly long periods without food (use rule of 3's as a guide) you will most likely have to be sedentary to pull that off. If you are involved in activities that require physical exertion then you will need to fuel the engine.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 05-07-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree with Crash, a bowdrill isnt easy and after a while trying one youll recant that statement. Its like crawling before you walk. The handrill is ruff on my hands to where my palms feel bruised so I dont do it. Its good to know alternative fire methods but nothing beats a Bic.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......Have never been successful with a hand drill.

I choose not to beat my self up for my lack of fire using any kind of drill for a fire, including a 18 volt battery drill......Life is too short.
    So, go for it,.... and good luck.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Me, too. Bow drill, hand drill, none of it is easy. As far as I'm concerned BIC stands for Big Intense Conflagration. That's what I'm talkin' about. They don't call those wooden stick thingies Lucifers for nothing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

hello go for it if that what makes you happy ,Iagree with Rick & Hunter

Howdy! Enjoy the abundance of knowledge this site provides! Good to have you on board!
    --GiLLiGaNN--

Welcome to the forum! I have got to the point that I do everyhting as easy as possible, so I carry waterproof matches, a couple of the small bic lighters, and a fire steel. It is a lot quicker and allows more time for wood gathering and food preparation. Hand drilling is good to know for the times when you have nothing, so it is a good skill to learn. Learn all of the skills, but never do it the hard way unless you have to!

Or want to.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hi Guys,
    and thanks, I get what you're saying, and when I manage to start fire with a hand drill i'll try and make a video, not to brag but to share my experience and what works for me etc...in terms of using what's easiest I can understand that but to me seems like a cope out in a way. When I think of wilderness survival I think of using very few things from society to survive in the wilderness, and bring matches etc...isn't the same. If I ever manage to talk the missus into going camping(will be a tough sell) i'll surely bring all those things and more so that she's more comfortable, but i'd want to try the primitive stuff just to show her and myself I can do it, and only fall back on modern stuff if I need to.

Welcome to these boards, from one who grew up in the Deep South and is now in Southern California (radically different topography, situation, what-have-you, but still the same basic needs...).

Hand-drills are great IF THEY'RE THE ONLY THING ONE CAN DO to start a fire. As for myself, I always carry a lighter AND a fire-steel AND a "bowstring" -- my bootlaces if nothing else. (I also carry as many other fire-starting things as the situation, and my carrying capacity, will permit.)

-- Nighteyes

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Before the stroke I messed with hand drilling till I had bruised hands. Then this old fellow showed me how to "wiggle" your hands up and down so they don't really work up and down the stick.

Still probably the most difficult way I can think of to make a fire.

I prefer many other methods, but for a fast fire, a metal match (your name) and cotton with PJ rubbed into them are the best way I prefer to get fire. Bic is 2nd to that, but that is just cause.

I can make cordage and a bow drill anywhere I can also get a foot board and other parts for one so I'll use that if I need a drilled fire.

I usually have a file with me and most times could find a rock if I lost my flint and char cloth.

Still there is a lot of fun making a fire.

A simple tube to blow the fire ember helps a lot. Either a coil of copper tubing or a antenna with the ends opened up to telescope out helps. Also will heat up a hobo stove fire if you need it to warm up the water faster.

Thad.

Oh, and howdy.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Banned

Howdy and Welcome!

There is no substitute for knowledge and experience. I've never tried a hand drill, but I'm familiar with the theory behind the process. I figure in a survival situation it might burn too many calories to start a fire with this technique, especially if I need to be highly mobile. But if it floats your boat and gets you outdoors it can't be all bad.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 05-10-2012 at 02:16 PM.