Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee grounds and the garden?

Default Coffee grounds and the garden?

Been reading alot on this, thought id ask , who use them and how ? and your results, i throw them in the compost bid for years or just thru the winter save them and throw them on top of the garden spot and till them under

Do you have any concerns with grounds?

Had a 'dragon tongue" plant in my office for a bunch of years, just watered it with cold coffee....grew like gang busters.......Still have it, but had to cut it down a couple of times, as it was getting too big.

That told me that coffee and grounds were good for plants.....BUT like anything , too much of any one thing isn't always the answer.

The pot used to get real sour smelling, so I would take it outside, and soak it in a bucket with clean water till it ran clear......re-pot and start over.

Coffee grounds go in the compost, but there is never enough to cause a problem of too much.

Friend did collect grounds from a coffee shop for a while, and seem to over load his compost bin, same sour smell.......so again, moderation amd mixing is the answer.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

sounds about right, i know after while they do help break up the soil ,

You bet. Earthworms like the coffee grounds, too. Always put coffee grounds in your garden in the early morning. If you do it in the evening the plants will never get to sleep and they will drive you crazy wanting in to pee.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

rick i think u had to much coffee

Put em in the compost bin. Let them season for a while. Good to go.
    In the land of Wolves and Sheep, I'll be a Sheepdog. Protect your flock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You bet. Earthworms like the coffee grounds, too. Always put coffee grounds in your garden in the early morning. If you do it in the evening the plants will never get to sleep and they will drive you crazy wanting in to pee.
    Ya big silly.......ya give em decaf at night.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just leave them outside........DW has made the house a "worm free zone".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I tried that once. They wound up peeing words in the grass and it all turned brown. They were not nice words either.

Coffee grounds are a notoriously good brown ingredient for compost balance, many serious composters have deals with coffee shops to cart away buckets of them.

i was wondering if anyone did , i bet the have a 5gallon bucket full in notime in most small coffee shops even,

Coffee grounds are exceptional and necessary for blueberry bushes and most berry bushes. They will also turn your hydrangeas colors (blue/pink) from the acid. A couple of cups of grounds spread around each plant in spring will keep blueberries very happy.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Geek View Post
    Coffee grounds are exceptional and necessary for blueberry bushes and most berry bushes. They will also turn your hydrangeas colors (blue/pink) from the acid. A couple of cups of grounds spread around each plant in spring will keep blueberries very happy.
    Thanks SG! I planted 4 blueberrie bushes this year and we already started saving the the grounds for the garden!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Thanks SG! I planted 4 blueberrie bushes this year and we already started saving the the grounds for the garden!
    Hi CS! I should have added, no need to stir in or dig in the coffee grounds around the plants. They are fine enough that they kinda dissolve into the soil on their own. And since i drink gallons of the stuff, I just keep them in another handled coffee can and wander around spreading them whenever. Ok hope this helps.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

I learned today they are also an effective slug killer. They can kill slugs if put in direct contact with them, so coffee grounds on the soil around your cabbages and whatnot.

My Mother threw the coffee grounds out the back door into a flower bed. My father planted tomatoes there (with the flowers that Mother put on the border). The tomatoes would grow up to the eave of the house, about 10 to 12 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I learned today they are also an effective slug killer. They can kill slugs if put in direct contact with them, so coffee grounds on the soil around your cabbages and whatnot.
    good info for sure ,

Here’s a link to horticultural myths. Scroll down to soil amendments, there’s a little bit about coffee grounds.
    http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%2...les/index.html
    There’s a good blog to.
    https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/bl...t/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by ClayPick View Post
    Here’s a link to horticultural myths. Scroll down to soil amendments, there’s a little bit about coffee grounds.
    http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%2...les/index.html
    There’s a good blog to.
    https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/bl...t/default.aspx
    nice reading thanks~