Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snake Identification please?

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gotta give some love to Rick for the good/dead comment and Wildthang for relocating even a dangerous snake.

I generally leave snakes alone....Avoidance being my motto.....BUT...

If you find a snake around your buildings, chances are he lives there...not just passing thru, so something to be aware of...and delt with....I try to keep grass short around "The Place".

Then there are water snakes..... when you are in the canoe or boat, that seem to come after you....or drop in with you.
    If you shoot them..... use shot shells, holes are smaller.......bring duct tape.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I use to fish in a slew in Oklahoma that was totally infested with cotton mouths. We would take a 410 shotgun with us and shoot cotton mouths almost every time we fished because the place was just over run with them.
    The thing with cotton mouths, are that they are a very agressive snake, and when we started shooting them, they seemed to know what was going on. We had several of them actually try to crawl into the boat just to bite us, and that never happened until we started shooting them.
    There were several of them there that were at least 6 foot long, at least they looked that big because I never measured them!

SIL is from Louisiana....we were duck hunting in Wisconsin, on the river that runs by "The Place".....it was fall, about 40 degrees, and a little ice along the edge from the over night freeze.

Came to a tree the beavers had chewed down over the river to get at the tender shoot on the tree top.

As we came up to it in the canoe, I decided we could duck down and slide thru the branches.....
    SIL say "NoFW, there are snakes in those branches that will drop in the canoe and kill us....."

I said, "We if there are they are so cold and froze, we can pound them into the ground like a stake".....LOL

I guess he's used to having snakes drop in the boat.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    Copperheads aren't particularly aggressive...
    Is it possible that you were introduced to a different type of copperhead than the one I grew up knowing and avoiding?

Now, to be perfectly clear, copperheads are "aggressively defensive", not "aggressively aggressive". They aren't going to go out of their way to attack anything other than their food, but they won't take any sh*t from dog or cat or pig or raccoon (or human, for that matter).

And a big 10-4 on the "don't kill it unless you absolutely have to" sentiment. Speaking only for me, I wish there were more snakes around Casa Nighteyes to counter the abundance of roof-rats and other pesky rodents. But alas! this is Southern California where the most-likely-encountered, rat-eating-sized, snakes are Pacific Diamondbacks or the occasional Sidewinder.

Lots of snake commentary.

Check out this video...

Show me video that shows aggression! Not much available!!!

where I live to many kids around to let posions snakes live

I've had a cottonmouth chase/follow the boat, although I don't if he was just going the same direction or not. I think most that fall into the boat from above do so from brushing the lowhanging limb while going under. You done shook them out

Although haveing the thought in the back of my mind that a cottonmouth will chase you, it sure helps me to focus

I've never found copperheads to be aggressive, they generally wait for you to step on them before they say hi. They have no place around a home.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I generally leave snakes alone....Avoidance being my motto.....BUT...

If you find a snake around your buildings, chances are he lives there...not just passing thru, so something to be aware of...and delt with....I try to keep grass short around "The Place".

Then there are water snakes..... when you are in the canoe or boat, that seem to come after you....or drop in with you.
    If you shoot them..... use shot shells, holes are smaller.......bring duct tape.
    Now we know how your canoe sank...
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Is it possible that you were introduced to a different type of copperhead than the one I grew up knowing and avoiding?

Now, to be perfectly clear, copperheads are "aggressively defensive", not "aggressively aggressive". They aren't going to go out of their way to attack anything other than their food, but they won't take any sh*t from dog or cat or pig or raccoon (or human, for that matter).
    When you say aggressive pertaining to a snake, that wouldn't mean aggresively defensive, all snakes are "aggressively defensive" as are most animals in general. They only get defensive when someone screws with them. I wouldn't consider my Crotalus oreganus aggresive, althought their venom packs a whallop, they will always retreat unless cornered. If you want to deem a snake aggressive, put that label on Naja sp. or something that is actually aggressive, like the bushmaster.
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 05-08-2012 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    While a poisonous snake is not a good thing to have around the term "good = dead" snake is a little disconcerting to me. Snakes, like bats, serve an extremely important function in the ecosystem. To me, a "good" snake is one that's alive and healthy and living it's life eating mice and rats. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't have killed it. Safety first and always. Just don't want others thinking all "good" snakes are dead snakes.
    I agree 100% with Rick!
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

(Willie moved to top of list of those not to be banned)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

And all this time I thought I was already at the top of the list! Great minds do think alike....

Ive always had some kind of snake, mostly king snakes but I did have a copperhead, canebrake/timber rattler, eastern dimondback and a yellow anaconda. So when people kill stuff just to kill it it makes no since to me! I know poisonious snakes are not good around homes but there are people you can call to get them removed! My sister is always calling me to come identify some snake, most all times its just a rat snake or something like. I tell her, would you rather have a harmless snake or a bunch of mice and rats! The snake always wins!
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

I just killed another copperhead last night! Again, there are toddlers 2 doors down from me, next door to my neighbors yard. Not to mention my dogs.
    Now I'm running out with my shovel as soon as I hear my dog barking. I've called the city and they're worthless. I wouldn't be killing the them if they weren't in my yard striking at my dogs! And with kids in the neighborhood, in the yard adjacent to my neighbor that has the snake nest.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    But alas! this is Southern California where the most-likely-encountered, rat-eating-sized, snakes are Pacific Diamondbacks or the occasional Sidewinder.
    And lawyers. Don't forget the lawyers.

He said the snakes eat the lawyers.
    Quote Originally Posted by NE
    rat-eating-sized, snakes are Pacific Diamondbacks or the occasional Sidewinder.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I get being concerned for small children. Growing up in South Florida we ran in abandoned farm fields loaded with snakes.
    But, the yankees always seemed to make the big noise. LOL

Here is a guy who decided to kayak with a yorky in his lap in Florida? Come on now use your head!

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/he...r-2346773.html

Note that he was hung up in Salix caroliniana when the gator event occurred. He uses rather colorful NY language when he is startled. His dog looks like a Okeechobee shiner being retrieved to the boat. LOL Could have been hit by a bass. If you think I am kidding on the shiners. Buy your bait from Roland Martin Marina in Clewiston. 12oz to 16 oz bait is about right.

BTW, nobody is asking for this gator to be killed. In fact I think state law says that if you kayak fish with a teacup anything you have to stay out till the gators eat both you and the dog. I might be mistaken on that law though...

Okay.....I'm really uneasy about that one. Florida Fish and Wildlife thinks it was because of mating season?! Since the gator probably couldn't see Fluffy Buffy that only leaves the guy. I'm highlighting that one in bold letters as the number one reason not to visit Florida......Amorous gators. Not in my life time.....

Where's your sense of adventure? Where's your sense of romance?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel