Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could this be true?

Default Could this be true?

I read this rather disturbing article about the Fukashima reactors in Japan, and if any of this is true, it isn't looking good. I honestly hope this is a bunch of Hoo Haa, but sometimes things do get covered up you know!

http://www.naturalnews.com/035789_Fu...lume-Gate.html

Well, the ad on the same page.... said that a spice is gonna cure diabetes....So take it for what's it's worth.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah but if even half of that article is true, it is a bad situation, I dont care what the goofy adds say! That place is loaded with radiation and there is no way to get rid of it!

Not one credible news organization is carrying the store. That should say something.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Not one credible news organization is carrying the store. That should say something.
    Rick you need to fly the hong on the west coast and repel that radiation

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Rick you need to fly the hong on the west coast and repel that radiation
    Not hardly. Speaking as one who LIVES on the West Coast, there's already plenty of airborne stuff that will repel just about everything...

In all seriousness, the article is mostly a bunch of hot-air hoo-hah. But hey, what do I know? Considering the physics and distances involved, and the laws of dispersion, danged near anything could happen...

-- Daniel (Glows-in-the-Dark) Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-07-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Got the lawn chair out for Dec 21, 2012......

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Got the lawn chair out for Dec 21, 2012......
    ... at 12:21:12 ZULU time.

I mean -- I mighta been born at night, but I wasn't born LAST night.

Lawn chairs all repaired & their critical joints lubricated, etc.

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-07-2012 at 07:25 PM.

December 21?! Are you kiddin' me? Those danged Mayans are gonna rob me of Christmas.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We'll celebrate Christmas at the jamboree this year.....just in case.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

There are very FEW good things about being old.........however the one good thing is that it becomes less and less important what is your personal: "Cause of Death".

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    There are very FEW good things about being old.........however the one good thing is that it becomes less and less important what is your personal: "Cause of Death".
    Nope, not here. At the age of 97 I plan to be shot by a jealous husband as I attempt to escape thru his young wife's bedroom window.

(We now return you to Reality, which is already in progress...)
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-08-2012 at 03:45 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Nope, not here. At the age of 97 I plan to be shot by a jealous husband as I attempt to escape thru his young wife's bedroom window.

(We now return you to Reality, which is already in progress...)
    If that did not happen to me in my 20s then the chances of death at the hands of a jealous husband at 90 is past the realm of remote!

However, I have found that as I get older I am a prize. While only 1 out of 6 men over 65 are single more than half the women over 65 are single. Problem is, they are women over 65! Perhaps the catarac surgery was not that good an idea. I can see again, which detracts from the advantage the odds hold.

Oh, yea, back to our demise at the hands of a Jap owned GE brand reactor. Would we not take the same percautions as during a nuke blast due to war? For many years preppers have promoted the ability to survive all but an immidiate blast with proper shielding, why is now a meltdown 10,000 miles away able to end humanity in the northern hemisphere?

I am always a bit sceptical of news stories I read in health food adds. As Rick stated, the main line media not carrying this story is not necessarily caving in to the conspiracy and being part of the plan. They have little to gain from a closed mouth, unless they have secretly moved their headquarters to Bolivia and want to get a head start on the rush south.

This is not a main line news source, it is not even a second line news source. This is someone's blog, spouting random numbers and quoting people no one has ever heard about and misquoting those that they have heard about.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Old age is a very precious thing and I embrace it. First, I get the old geezer discount at just about everywhere. Part of the reason I've hung around so long was for the discount. I'm not gonna give it up now. Second, it really doesn't matter what you wear. Gone are the days of climbing in your bathtub with your jeans so those skin tight things could actually be pulled on. You geezers know what I'm talking about. Gone are the days of my bell bottoms. I traded those in for flex fit and lead bottom. Why, just the other day I announced to my wife that I actually had two different socks on. She told me I probably had a pair just like them in the draw. Cool! A two fer.

Yeah, I like it when I get carded at the beer store.....those young ladies are really sweat talkers......So I just say OMG, they the start cracking up that I knew that....so I follow it with WTF, that finishes them off.....but most of the time they just hit the "old guy" button on the register.

Banned

Default The situation as I understand it

I've spent a bit of time trying to research the situation at Fukushima. There is plenty of photographic eveidence to corroborate the damage to at least two of the six reactors. Because of the multitude of radioactive units used to describe the situation there (sieverts, curies, becquerels) it is difficult for someone like myself to grasp the entire picture. I have heard interviews by Matthew Stein, who has written several books on related subjects, those interviews helped me to better understand the severity of this situation.

What I find problematic is: the Japanese government and TEPCO (the plant operator) have repeatedly given many misleading statements which always understated the true levels of damage and containment breaches. Our own government, which just this year approved the construction of two new nuclear plants in Georgia, appears to be pro-nuclear and likely heavily influenced by the industry. There were reports that last year the administration blocked news coverage of a potential crisis which threatened a nuclear plant in Nebraska due to rising floodwaters. So I don't find it surprising if our mainstream media isn't doing more to report on Fukushima.

The facts as I understand them: Nuclear fuel rods have a useful life of 18 +/- months. After that time the reactors are shut down and those "used" rods are then tranferred to a spent fuel pond (a process which now normally takes several weeks to complete). These spent rods are still extremely hot and require some three to five years before cooling to a stable temperture. If their zirconium alloy jacket is exposed to air before they have cooled, it will spontaneously ignite and burn exposing the enriched uramium core and a host of other radioactive isotopes (cesium, iodine, plutonium among others). The plant at Fukushima has been in operation for some 40 years. Consequently they have accumulated a large inventory of spent fuel rods. If the containment vessel for the spent fuel rods is breached by another seismic event, or if the ability to maintain the immersion of the spent fuel is compromised it has the potential for exponential damage to an already heavily contaminated site.

I have heard reports that there is enough radioactive materials at Fukushima alone to make some 420+ lethal doses for every person on the planet. I find this a bit troubling. Japan is still reeling from the effects of nuclear fallout, and I've heard some 28% of the pregnancies there have spontaneously aborted. Look for a sharp increase in the rate of birth defects for those fetuses which aren't aborted.

I believe this has the potential to end life on planet earth. Hopefully scientists and engineers can figure out the containment issue before another large quake strikes the region. Either way, I'd say it is a good time to get right with our maker.

You can't be serious? End life on the planet. Time, DISTANCE, amount. The mainstream media consistently reported on the Fort Calhoun nuclear plant. It was all over the news when the Missouri flooded. Just do a google fu for Fort Calhoun flood. You'll find tons of stuff.

Fukishima is a non-event that's why they aren't reporting on it. Did you know Japan just shut down it's last nuclear power plant yesterday? They now have 50 usable plants shut down. If you want to worry about some maybe possible seismic event that might could happen then worry about 50 plants instead of one.

But, do what you want.

Banned

I am not saying that life-ending scenario is likely or probable. But I believe the science clearly quantifies it as possible. The problem unique to Fukushima is the extensive amount of structural and containment damage and the loss of critical infrastructure which seriously limits the extent and ability to respond to any further events.

A bio-accumulation of 4 sievert-hours is lethal to 50% of the people exposed; 6 sievert-hours is considered to be 100% lethal. Fallout from Fukushima has already been measured in several US states, so I don't understand how the DISTANCE offers us much protection. Last time I checked we're also "downstream" from the pacific current which is carrying off most of the radioactive isotopes.

Perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree.

Okay. If we all die I'll apologize and post on here that you were correct. If we don't die....wait a minute. We're all gonna die eventually. We need a date to work with. Since we're celebrating Christmas at the jamboree let's make it December 21. We'll give the Mayans the credit.

Banned

Admittedly this is way above my pay grade, but I have done considerable research to try and develop a better understanding of the subject matter. True we all die eventually, but the last time I checked murder is still illegal even though it merely advances the inevitable. The crux of the problem is the lack of containment of some very toxic radioactive isotopes. If "X" pounds of Caesium-137 are dumped into the waters of the Pacific ocean, in 30 years only half of it will have degraded. In 60 years .25"X" remains. How far do these radioisotopes move in 30, 60 or 90 years? Almost certainly they will have migrated into all of the oceans of the planet. Will they make everything too dangerous to consume? I don't think that is likely, but again I'm no expert. They will and have already adversely effected some amount of marine life. When it enters the food chain it has the increased potential to end up on our dinner table even though we're thousands of miles away from the source.

If my inderstanding is correct, some 95% of the Caesium-137 will degrade into Barium-137. Ba-137 has a half life of 153 seconds, but it emits ALL of the gamma radiation (the most harmful form of ionizing radiation because it penetrates the body and causes damage to DNA which then leads to cell deaths and cancers). Gamma radiation has a wavelength of around 10 picometers (smaller than the diameter of an atom). This makes effective shielding from gamma rays impossible.

I understand we all live with a certain amount of backround radiation. Our bodies are able to cope with most of the damaging effects at these current low levels. If we continue to raise this background level, we will reach a point where the scales are tipped and our bodies can no longer maintain good health. Incidents of cancer will rise and many people will have their lives cut short as a result. You want a date to work with? I can't give you one. But that doesn't negate the very real dangers we face if we continue to pollute our planet with more of these isotopes.

The incident at Fukushima has added a new threat to world food supplies. This threat can be addressed through added layers of testing and inspection. I personally don't trust the fleets of foreign nations to perform these tests or to maintain the integrity of the testing equipment if they do. The Japanese government in response to the disaster sought to mitigate the damage by raising acceptable exposure limits.

You can continue to mock my posts, I've got thick skin and I can handle it. But I think it would be more constructive if you could address the science I have attempted to explain here. Again I am no expert and maybe I'm missing something. If that's the case please make your point. I welcome your enlightenment.