Thread: anyone know about Bear corn aka Conopholis americana aka squawroot

Default anyone know about Bear corn aka Conopholis americana aka squawroot

I've done a lot of googleing, but can't come up with much on it. I saw a lot of it in NC and TN.
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them

A little more info bout what yer a needn, come in ajug or firestartin? Ide wat looks like?
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

New fish here, but this is right up my alley, yes its very edible when mature...have plenty of them here in northern appalachia

Default Tried Bear Corn (Conopholis Americana)

I tried it and made a couple of videos, which I'll share. (I am not an expert, so please try at your own risk.) I can say that it's terribly bitter raw, and fairly mild when roasted. It looks like it would taste much better than it actually does! We found this at the end of May, on the Appalachian trail in the North Carolina Tennessee region.

Found some in late May on the Appalachian Trail of NC/TN region. When I tasted raw it was terribly bitter. I roasted it with a little olive oil at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, and it was much milder. Edible, but not delicious. The link to the video of it raw is below, and you'll see I have uploaded a video of it cooked as well.

Raw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEBcR1M-eUw

Quote Originally Posted by smcnazz View Post
    I tried it and made a couple of videos, which I'll share. (I am not an expert, so please try at your own risk.) I can say that it's terribly bitter raw, and fairly mild when roasted. It looks like it would taste much better than it actually does! We found this at the end of May, on the Appalachian trail in the North Carolina Tennessee region.
    Thanks for the review. I think your comment at the end of the video says all I need to hear....."still gross".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Remember,
    Enough Butter will make anything taste better!
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Lest we not forget bacon and salt to go with that butter. Hey, now that I think about it; who needs the Bear Corn if you have those three?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Edible can be translated to "Won't kill you....doesn't mean it tastes good.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.