Thread: New sort of Nessmuk for a friend.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Default New sort of Nessmuk for a friend.

Well this is something I'm getting ready to gift to a friend.

It started out as a piece of stainless steel that my oldest son got for me. (forget the exact type but I think it hit right at 60 rockwell hardness after heat treat.)

It started out at 3/16 thick but is a bit thinner as it was smoothed up along the sides and tapered toward the point. (I'm gonna have to learn the fancy names for doing that stuff so I can sound more like I know what I'm up to)

The blade has a very slight hollow grind and sort of a false edge on the upper half but is left pretty thick. I have it up to a shaving edge, and made the handle pretty big to fit his hands.

Not worth the pic, but the best I could get the old camera to take.

Thad.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 05-02-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    Thaddius Bickerton

It looks like you did a great job on it! Are those Chicago screws? What's the scales made of?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think that may be what they are called rick they are the kind that screw into themselves. The scales are micarta made from blackish and greenish cloth and glued up. I'm still debating on how much I'm gonna smooth em off.

I'll try to get DD to take a pic of the handle with her fancy camera, I am real pleased with the way the scales came out. the two colors set each other off real nice. Probably my best home made micarta effort so far.

Thad
    ETA: I'm having one of those brain to finger problem days so keep re-edit to get it how I want it. Sorry but thanks for the kind words. T.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 05-02-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Nice blade, I like it!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Thanks sparky93.

I really don't like making for other folk cause I don't feel my stuff is that great, and It pretty much is free since son gets the metal and I just pick out scraps out at his metal shop.

This fellow I'm making it for is kinda sweet on my daughter and she likes him. Looks pretty funny, he is like300# + and probably 5' 8" and about 4 feet wide and thick and she is like 5' 1" and maybe 100 pounds soaking wet. But who am I to judge.

His Daddy used to beat on him till his momma ran him off and he pretty much grew up not knowing the outdoors. Since he started coming around he is a never ending source of questions. I just can't help but enjoy talking with him and trying to help him get the stuff his Daddy should have taught him.

He is up to shooting, learning to sharpen up his blades and the other day we took a firesteel and he made his first "camp fire" without matches or bic. should have seen the grin.

I told him about the nessmuk trilogy of blades and he got all excited with my nessy, so I want to make him up one that is in his size. This is a lot heavier than my blade (about 1/8 inch thick on mine) and a more beefy handle but still follows the basic shape. Also I put his full tang instead of a stick one in antler.

Tell the truth I'm liking the way it feels in my hand and I am real happy with the new micarta I made so I'm thinking I may get me a piece of carbon steel (my metal preference like 01 or 1095) and make me one a bit more scaled to my style and put a convex grind on it with just taper the sides to the point and also back toward the handle some and leave out the finger grips.

I'm kinda moving slow today so It will probably just make it to my list of things to do when I feel better. Today I'm gonna have to make a run into town with oldest son, so things may be busy all afternoon.

Thad.
    Thaddius Bickerton

I know I'm writing a lot but I keep remembering stuff I need to add: I use the screws so I can pull the scales off and on. After I'm done I may put in copper rivets or just use a set of the screws and epoxy. Not sure. Being able to take scales off and on easy leaves andrew the option of rescaling em later if he wants to play around making his own so maybe the screws stay?
    Thaddius Bickerton

You did a great job. Your daughters friend will be proud to own it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks crashdive123.

I just rolled back home from a long trip to town. Got some stuff son needed and took time to load up the flatbed with a lot of "groceries" and such for the homestead. Nothing much and I really kind of wish I had just sent a list with him and grabed some rest, but time with oldest son is premium these days since he is always on some project or other. Hard times means people fix and repair a lot so he is getting a lot of farm repair work and also a lot of the builders over to the big city have found out he does "bars" for windows , They call em window treatments or some fancy name. Lot of folk are putting them on their to expensive mcmansions.

Back to the knife, what is the right way to say: I used the belt sander / grinder and tapered each side towards the point so the point is thinner than the part right at the plunge line area. I also thinned the center of the handle area to get the balance point right in front of the end of the handle.

Also I think the grind I used would be called a modified saber grind, but not sure. From the side it is almost a flat grind but with a bit of hollow grind in it on the edge to thin the thickness down a bit so it will cut like I want it and also has a sort of false edge thinned into the top part, but actually only pulls the thickness down to between 1/16 and 1/8 and leaves a lot of beef there also.

I'm trying to learn how to "talk knife" but Best I can do is learn one or two words at a time. Just looking at the picture with names cannot make it past my short term memory problem from the stroke, I have to use it in a sentence a bunch and handle the thing and stuff till it gets to long term memory.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

I got the idea to make up some micarta from your "crashcarta" I just sort of got to tinkering with scraps. I think I have enough left of the kind I made to make scales for another blade. It sort of takes some getting used to working with, but seems handy and I get some nice stuff when I smooth out the handle. Kind of like Damascus but in micarta handles. :-)

Thad.
    Thaddius Bickerton