Thread: Green Bell peppers

Default Green Bell peppers

whats everyones favorite bell pepper to grow? i always get california wonders, seem to do the best here in central ohio clay . did grow slim jim peppers last year with ok results

I always grow a variety of reds, yellows and oranges. If I want green peppers I pick them a little early.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've planted California Wonders and they didn't do very well for a couple of years. Last year was much better, however. I'm still trying to figure out what they like the best. My garden is pretty rich in organic matter and they get full sun. I know they are heavy feeders but I haven't found the the right "food" yet I guess. Got close last year.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I grow a lot of peppers in the Ohio clay, they dont get very large, but always have a great flavor. I mix a little compost manure in with the clay where I plant them, and try not to over water them!

well same here wildthang , one year i pumped out a ton of peppers, i bet i froze 5ibs of diced peppers for the winter months, iam goin for horse poopie this year as a helper, i knew a guy that used compost as a mulch like around his plants after they got up real good , he said it always feeds them everytime it rained ,, seemed to work for him,

Back maybe 12 or 13 years ago I saved seed from some huge peppers we bought at the store. I know. They're hybreds or maybe can't reproduce. The first year I planted the seed I had saved there were alot of no shows but a few came up and made plants. Probably half of those died off without making a single pepper. However, some made not just a few peppers but alot of peppers. The largest ones maybe the size of half a soda can. (for those of you not familiar with soda, half the size of a beer can) :>) I have no idea what variety they are but other then they aren't always pretty they put out a good crop year in and year out in our hot mostly dry summers down here. Have a real good taste also.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Don't anyone tell OT that his wife bought some pepper seeds and put some from the package in with his store bought seeds.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have tried quite a few different peppers over the years.

California wonders are one of the best bell peppers to grow in my area.

i have some HOT Thai dragons this year too!

if anyone likes really HOT peppers..check out Fatalii's http://www.reimerseeds.com/fatalii-h...en-yellow.aspx

I grew them one year and holy cow they are HOT! But, they are a cool plant to grow in a container as the plant will produce for over 5 years! You just bring the plant in during the winter months and treat it as a house plant, then move it outdoors for the growing season.
    Last edited by Darkevs; 05-05-2012 at 11:29 AM.

they are out of stock but ill look today at the plant store, he carries a great variety ,

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrap59 View Post
    Back maybe 12 or 13 years ago I saved seed from some huge peppers we bought at the store. I know. They're hybreds or maybe can't reproduce. The first year I planted the seed I had saved there were alot of no shows but a few came up and made plants. Probably half of those died off without making a single pepper. However, some made not just a few peppers but alot of peppers. The largest ones maybe the size of half a soda can. (for those of you not familiar with soda, half the size of a beer can) :>) I have no idea what variety they are but other then they aren't always pretty they put out a good crop year in and year out in our hot mostly dry summers down here. Have a real good taste also.

Oldtrap
    I have volunteer tomatoes and grey squash out front in a deep hole where a plastic pond used to be. I was using the hole for compost. In fact first tomatoes of the year. I am not so sure about the whole hybrids can't be regrown and produce.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Greens pack the least nutritional punch. Reds not only have significantly more vitamin C but also substantial amounts of Vit A (as beta-carotene) Yellows are wimpy at Vit A but still have much more Vit C than green.
    Reds are greens which have been allowed to fully ripen, while yellow and orange come from different seeds.

Code:
    PEPPERS,SWEET,GREEN,RAW                                        Grams    100.00
    Serving:  1.09 cup, sliced                                     Ounces     3.53
                                                                   Water     93.89%
    Percentages of "Daily Values" in this serving:                 Refuse    18%

Calories(2000)       1%     Total Carb           2%     Protein              2%
    Carb/Prot/Fat   83/10/7     Fiber                7%     Non-Fiber Carb       3g

Total Fat            0%     Vitamin A            7%     Calcium              1%
     Sat Fat             0%     Thiamin              4%     Copper               3%
     Mono Fat            0%     Riboflavin           2%     Iron                 2%
     Poly Fat            1%     Niacin               2%     Magnesium            2%
      Omega-6            1%     Panto. Acid          1%     Manganese            6%
        LA               1%     Vitamin B-6         11%     Phosphorus           2%
        AA               0%     Folate               2%     Potassium            5%
      Omega-3            0%     Vitamin B-12         0%     Selenium             0%
        ALA              1%     Vitamin C          134%     Sodium               0%
        EPA              0%     Vitamin D            0%     Zinc                 1%
        DHA              0%    

PEPPERS,SWEET,RED,RAW                                          Grams    100.00
    Serving:  1.09 cup, sliced                                     Ounces     3.53
                                                                   Water     92.21%

Calories(2000)       2%     Total Carb           2%     Protein              2%
    Carb/Prot/Fat   78/13/9     Fiber                8%     Non-Fiber Carb       4g

Total Fat            0%     Vitamin A           63%     Calcium              1%
     Sat Fat             0%     Thiamin              4%     Copper               1%
     Mono Fat            0%     Riboflavin           5%     Iron                 2%
     Poly Fat            1%     Niacin               5%     Magnesium            3%
      Omega-6            0%     Panto. Acid          3%     Manganese            6%
        LA               1%     Vitamin B-6         15%     Phosphorus           3%
        AA               0%     Folate              12%     Potassium            6%
      Omega-3            1%     Vitamin B-12         0%     Selenium             0%
        ALA              2%     Vitamin C          213%     Sodium               0%
        EPA              0%     Vitamin D            0%     Zinc                 2%
        DHA              0%     Vitamin E            8%
    Cholesterol          0%     Vitamin K            6%     Omega-6/3 Balance 56/44
     Vitamin E            2%
    Cholesterol          0%     Vitamin K            9%     Omega-6/3 Balance 70/30

PEPPERS,SWEET,YELLOW,RAW                                       Grams    100.00
    Serving:  19.2 strips                                          Ounces     3.53
                                                                   Water     92.02%

Calories(2000)       1%     Total Carb           2%     Protein              2%
    Carb/Prot/Fat    84/9/7     Fiber                4%     Non-Fiber Carb       5g

Total Fat            0%     Vitamin A            4%     Calcium              1%
     Sat Fat             0%     Thiamin              2%     Copper               5%
     Mono Fat          (nd)     Riboflavin           1%     Iron                 3%
     Poly Fat          (nd)     Niacin               4%     Magnesium            3%
      Omega-6          (nd)     Panto. Acid          2%     Manganese            6%
        LA             (nd)     Vitamin B-6          8%     Phosphorus           2%
        AA             (nd)     Folate               6%     Potassium            6%
      Omega-3          (nd)     Vitamin B-12         0%     Selenium             0%
        ALA            (nd)     Vitamin C          306%     Sodium               0%
        EPA            (nd)     Vitamin D            0%     Zinc                 1%
        DHA            (nd)     Vitamin E            0%
    Cholesterol          0%     Vitamin K          (nd)     Omega-6/3 Balance  0/0
    Taken, indirectly, from USDA data. These would probably be based on California Wonders, since those dominate the US market.

The freeze dried version:
    PEPPERS,SWEET,GREEN,FREEZE-DRIED, 1oz Vit C 898% Vit A 32%
    PEPPERS,SWEET,RED,FREEZE-DRIED 1oz Vit C 898, Vit A 438%
    In theory, 1 pound of freeze dried RED bell peppers should provide 143 days of vit C and 70 days of vit A. But, in practice I am finding that sources of freeze dried or dehydrated red peppers tend to lack nutritional analysis or are much skimpier on vit A than the USDA data. Not sure what they are doing to them. These aren't too bad, about half the Vit A that should be there, but would need to be repackaged for long term storage:
    http://www.northbaytrading.com/air-d...d-bell-peppers

Nutritional data varies depending on which pepper grown in what soil processed how but I have never seen the data for the green always seems to be lower.

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange (in my area) seems to have a much wider selection of open pollinated bell pepper seeds than the equivalent outfit from Ohio, and probably somewhat similar growing conditions.

http://www.ohioheirloomseeds.com/Pepper_Seeds.html
    http://www.ohioseed.org/
    http://www.southernexposure.com/pepp...-3_43_127.html