Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you defend a retreat....Good question?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Unhappy How do you defend a retreat....Good question?

So how do you defend a remote, or semi-remote cabin, retreat, ranch, bunker...??? Really if you have a small war only once a week against interlopers. What do you do with dead bodies...??? You have security cameras, fence, gates, guns, night vision stuff. You have 24 hour guards?

I dress up like a State Trooper and walk right up to the door. You assume that it is a State Trooper.

Five guys and one lady leader go to G.I. Joe's and buy uniforms, starch them, press them, polish the boots, and walk up to the retreat door. Don't tell me you are going to open fire. No your not.

I set your out building on fire. What are you going to do Watch it burn? No, you and most of the people come running to put the fire out.

If someone fires a rifle 1/2 a mile away I come out of my cabin. Is he plinking, is he in trouble, is he yelling at a bear? I don't stay inside.

I don't think you really can defend your retreat, cabin, etc.. You can't kill everyone. There are dozens of ways to trick you. Like a half naked lady screaming help me, help me, he's trying to kill me, help me. Or the 6 year old child crying for help.

I really would like good ideas about security.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 02-24-2008 at 04:34 AM.

Hopeak - You offer some very good questions and it doesn't have to be your retreat. One of those or similar scenarios could certainly be used at your home today. If someone or a group is intent on doing you harm or taking your possessions and have a bit a creativity about them then those could become very real scenarios.

1. You have to be alert to the person and the context. For example, if the state trooper comes to my door there had better be a state police car in front of my house and he will still show his badge first. Same for military. I had better see vehicle and military ID. I raised three kids and didn't have the police here often but they did show up a time or two. I asked for a badge each time.

2. For the fire, naked lady, child scenario, one person stays inside and calls 911/sheriff/police while one armed person investigates. That's just personal protection. I hope that doesn't sound paranoid but my handgun is going to be on me when I go out the door. What if the naked lady scenario is real and the guy is out there?

Some scenarios could just take you by surprise so it's important someone (or some) stay behind. I wish I could find the military reference for this but I read recently it takes 7 fighters to overcome 1 defender. That's pretty good odds for the home owner.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Very tough to defend 100%. If someone wants to get you they can no matter how much you prepare.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

yes and no lets pretend i have a hidden underground bunker with hidden ventalation you cold burn the house down but the bunker is safe the camera sysytem surrounding the house is set up in such a way as no blind spots and a camera is always covering another camera so can't sneak up on one camera to disable it, i also have line of site around the house so if a "victim" is yelling i can observe also send one person out to help while covered by sniper 6 people in bdu's will get shot and killed on my property as for police they will have cars they never roll one at a time out here anymore new mandate and i will have id presented on camera and a phone call in to verify which is well within my rights just ask my lawyer, some people will fall for this kind of bs but not a paranoind er i mean prepared indivivual...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    yes and no lets pretend i have a hidden underground bunker with hidden ventalation you cold burn the house down but the bunker is safe the camera sysytem surrounding the house is set up in such a way as no blind spots and a camera is always covering another camera so can't sneak up on one camera to disable it, i also have line of site around the house so if a "victim" is yelling i can observe also send one person out to help while covered by sniper 6 people in bdu's will get shot and killed on my property as for police they will have cars they never roll one at a time out here anymore new mandate and i will have id presented on camera and a phone call in to verify which is well within my rights just ask my lawyer, some people will fall for this kind of bs but not a paranoind er i mean prepared indivivual...
    So you have never left your home once in the last 5 years????? You never go outside for any reason ever????

Banned
    Blog Entries

wareagle69, What do I do with all the bodies? Just leave them? As for the Police. The nearest State Trooper is one hour away. And if the SHTF and he ain't getting paid, because the State is out of business, well he is going to be looking after his family, not my butt.

Banned
    Blog Entries

And if you are in remote Alaska there is not State Troopers to call, and no phone to call on.

Banned

IMO, a State Trooper or Police Officer is the last person youll see if SHTF.

yes but you are the one who brought up the point about a state trooper coming to my door not out in alsaka but a question in general and i posted a typical response in which i have very legal right to ask for id and wait until i have confirmation of id.
    now in a shtf scenario i am not worried about johny law showing up and at that time my alert sttus goes up.

as far as me never going outside yes i do all the time already covered that in the other thread, i am not immune to being sniped but if your intent is just killing you will only get one if your intent is to gain acsess to my stores you just shot down that opp.

always be prepared.

Banned
    Blog Entries

O.K. other than Cameras which I have recording. Killer Poodles, that can lick you to death. I think Dogs (Not Killer Poodles) are a very cost effective security asset. I need a real good gate, the D-8 Dozer makes a good summer gate, but is hard to start at -36F. I also am cleared for wildfire. I am not building a bunker. Well I might bury one of my 20' Connex's and put a out building on top. So Wareagle, what else would you suggest.

i like my bunker with hidden opening behind a hidden opening with tunnels leading to all out buildings i could stay put under ground just like a coy dog for a while but i need to be more consious of security being and hour and a half from town where as you seem to be more secluded.

Not to stray too far away from this but, have any of you seen the old missile silo's that have been converted into pretty nice homes. Easily defendable, large, self sufficient. Kind of cost prohibative though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

great concept but at what cost? i'll stick with my bunkers

Not to give up any trade secrets but what design did you base you bunkers on or is it something you came up with?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

my own design

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i like my bunker with hidden opening behind a hidden opening with tunnels leading to all out buildings i could stay put under ground just like a coy dog for a while but i need to be more consious of security being and hour and a half from town where as you seem to be more secluded.
    I am same, same at 70 MPH I am 1 1/2 hours south of Los Anchorage. Gang bangers, punks, thieves and other scum steal fuel from my "Decoy" trucks. I call the Troopers and get, "We will be there in 3 or 4 days, We have bodies to recover from the Turnagain Avalanche that killed two last week, and we have a plane down in PWS. And besides who cares??? It is a property crime. I tell them I have been robbed. They say, "you were not robbed, you were burgled".

I think that it's safe to say that if somebody, or a group os somebodies is intent on taking your life and stuff, and they have the means and ability to do so, then they can. I think what everybody is saying is to endeavour to make that less desirable. Don't become a target of oppurtunity, be aware of your surroundings, be aware of the current environment that you are in and deal with it accordingly.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

That is what I be saying...................

I being a city dweller have to count on keeping a low profile. If people don't know you have stuff your half way there. When I was a kid I lived with my grandfather in south Mississippi. Out far enough that you saw a state trooper or sheriff on the main road.
    If you put signs out on your land and some one ignored them it was up to you what happened. In Seattle I called the police to report a dog being beaten by a group of punks,
    it took me 15 min. to explain where I was calling from. And I never saw the cops. By the time I gave up on the cops and grabbed my shotgun, the dog was dead. Now I don't call the cops.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remy View Post
    That's a good question Hopeak...
    To answer it...maybe we should reverse the question...
    How would you attack a remote cabin or retreat ?
    By air assault. That would be the most convenient, and safest. However attacking people or property is not my department.