Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Make a Snare

Default How to Make a Snare

I've seen a lot of so called experts on youtube showing how to make a common snare and all of them leave out an important step. So I thought I'd put together a short tutorial on the way I was taught. This will be for a rabbit or squirrel snare.

You will need about 2 feet of .024 or .025 brass, copper or stainless steel wire.

The first step is to make a loop in each end of the snare. One loop is slightly larger than the other.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Twist the large loop so you make a figure 8. This is the part nearly everyone leaves out.

Bend the figure 8 over onto itself so you have a double loop. This double loop serves as the lock. You will not loose an animal using this lock!

Next, slip the smaller loop through the double loop lock.

Attach some type of cordage to the smaller loop. This is another important step. The cordage prevents the animal from twisting and breaking the wire. The type of cordage is up to you. I've used some paracord sheath for this demo but you can use natural cordage if you choose as long as it is strong enough to retain the animal. The length of cordage will depend on how far it is to the anchor.

That's all there is to it. Remember the double loop lock. That's an important piece. A single loop can and will lose an animal. The double loop lock will not.

There are a lot of ways to make them I suppose but this is how I was taught and it works.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's all there is to it. Remember the double loop lock. That's an important piece. A single loop can and will lose an animal. The double loop lock will not.

Thanks.....Good job.

Looking good,pictures are worth one thousand words
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would like some made out of 1/8" and/or 3/16" cable, and maybe 20' long. Strictly for SHTF survival application.

I have some Thompson snares. They are made out of aircraft cable (I think). In any case, they are bomb proof.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You snare bombs?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If necessary. I prefer they be self snaring however.

Oh - OK.

Oh yeah - good post. Tried to give you some green thingies, but I gotta spread the love.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks Rick! Great Post!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have some Thompson snares. They are made out of aircraft cable (I think). In any case, they are bomb proof.

Yes, I have some small Thompson Snares, and they do make some huge ones. I have some spools of cable that I'll never use for another aircraft, I should get some copper closure keeper'thingies.

Oddly enough it is now "Legal" the snare bears in Alaska. For "ME" (only) I have a moral issue with "ME" trapping, however said moral issue ends if I am real hungry.

I have some of the 1/16 (Size 0) and a couple of the 1/8th (Size 4). I'm the same way. I don't see a reason to kill if I have food. The laws for snares in Indiana are pretty strict and you can only use them in very specific places and they have to be set up in a specific way so you don't strangle the animal (has to have a relaxing snare lock). It can't be larger than 15 inches unless it is half covered by water.

Like you, all bets are off if I'm hungry.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great post Rick. Thanks!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Rick, that post was needed. Things we take for granted aren't known by some folks. I am very guilty of making the assumption that something I've known for many years is known by all.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Great post Rick! I too tried to rep you,but alas,I must spread the love
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Very nice tutorial / post. Thanks. I tried to give some rep.

Thanks everyone. Since you all tried to give me rep, I'll just give myself a couple of dozen green thingies. Woohoo!!

Banned

How does the double loop lock better than a single loop ?

There are a couple of things that come into play. 1. When the animal starts thrashing around to escape you'll have a thin wire puling against a single loop that will collapse. What I've seen is the wire cut the single loop letting the animal escape. 2. A single loop will also allow the wire to bend back and forth against the loop and metal fatigue can cause the wire to fail.

The double loop doesn't collapse like a single loop does. So it provides a bit of cushion to prevent the loop from breaking or cutting the wire.

Banned

There are a couple of things that come into play. 1. When the animal starts thrashing around to escape you'll have a thin wire puling against a single loop that will collapse. What I've seen is the wire cut the single loop letting the animal escape. 2. A single loop will also allow the wire to bend back and forth against the loop and metal fatigue can cause the wire to fail.

The double loop doesn't collapse like a single loop does. So it provides a bit of cushion to prevent the loop from breaking or cutting the wire.
    Oh, ok, I understand now, Thanks, Great Post !

I've seen a lot of guys use the single loop and just about everyone teaches it that way. But I've seen them fail, too. I'd sure hate to check my snares hoping for dinner only to find broken wire. That probably means an injured animal, too.