Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cast iron skillets?

Default cast iron skillets?

i have two that i use alot one is 10.5 and a 12in one , no brand name on them just made in used and the size, ive had them for many many years , well seasoned and cook great. ive been looking for a smaller 7-8 inch skillet but havent been able to find one i like or looks like it will season well . i bought a wagner 7in a while back and it plain su*ks well not take seasoning crappy iron is all i can think, any help? also looking for a dutch oven, in cast

I'm a big fan of the Lodge brand.

http://lodgemfg.com/

I'm not real experienced in cast iron, but I got two 10" dutch ovens from Academy sports for around $20 each.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Lodge is very good as is Griswold. I've found both at Goodwill for about $7-8. Yard sales are also good. Flea markets if you can get a good price. Don't worry if they are a bit rusted as long as it's not extensive (deeply pitted) they can be brought back to a useful life with just a little work.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree with rick. I live in an aging community heavy cast gets to be a problem. I check out Goodwill and resale shops. Much of my cast came from there.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

lot of good info thanks never thought on goodwills

"i bought a wagner 7in a while back and it plain su*ks well not take seasoning crappy iron is all i can think, any help?"

You may not be getting it hot enough or heating it long enough to let the fat get into the pores of the metal. Also if it was new you need to clean it well. I have a 12" skillet that I let rust up on me and I had to take scotchbrite to it to get rid of the rust and heat the heck out of to get it to reseason. I used lard but know some people use crisco. Clean the inside well with scotchbrite, rinse well and dry it on your stovetop thoroughly then after it cools wipe lard around the whole inside. heat your oven to 450 degs and put it in for half an hour. My grandmother told me she did hers three times when new and never washed them ...Just kept reusing the same grease and wiped it out when it got too old.

D.O.M.

In fact I Think it was Rick who gave me the idea to use scothbrite.
    Last edited by Durtyoleman; 04-19-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: double post

well i may re try it , i did it that way but 375 400 was the heat i know my other ones are that way i wipe them out after use and they are fine i always cook meat loaf in them that sure seasons them each time it seems ,

I got a little lodge cast iron skillet at walmart for something like 10 bucks. I think it is 7 or 8 inches.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

ill check them out, thanks

I always wipe mine out when done. I don't hesitate to run a bit of water through it (no soap) if it needs it but that's not very often. I then take a paper towel and wipe oil on the inside and outside before I put it away. That oil will continue to build up if it has been seasoned properly to start with.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I season mine with a bacon frying marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I season mine with a bacon frying marathon.
    I season me with a bacon eating marathon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

me too, me too but I like to fry it first LOL.

i do the same!

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Lodge is up in South Pittsburgh which is between me and Chattanooga Tenn, so I would drive up there if I still needed cast iron.

Ya need to get a couple dutch ovens, one for the kitchen oven, and one with legs and a sunk top to use with coals or charcoal when camping.

If you get an old one just build a big fire out back and put it in it and burn it off, then scrub it and oil it up and season it and boom just like new.

Thad.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 05-02-2012 at 12:53 AM.
    Thaddius Bickerton

I used to use the oven to season but now I just oil them and turn the burner on high as well as the exhaust fan. Sometimes it takes another time. After that just rinse and reoil. And figure out how to keep wife away from them with soap and scrup brush!

Oh, Shiftyer, don't fall for that. She's just trying to coerce you into doing the dishes.

i agree with shiftyer1 i had a GF who got up pne morning and soaked my skillet in dawn for hours in hot water, then scubbed the bejesus out of it , i got home and she said, why dont yu ever clean your old iron skillet? then she said i claened it up for u today!!!!! i just stood there speachless looking a my favorite skillet clean!!!