Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: driving a well point

Probably just a high pressure gas line. Hit it harder.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

LOL I doubt that, I'm the second owner of this property from the fella that originally homesteaded it. Not only that I'm the last place on a dead end road with nothing behind me but forest LOL. As long as we're speculating, I think it was a oil vein and I was within a 64th of a inch of piercing it and having a geyser of black gold. Randy Clampett LOL

Let me tell you all a story 'bout a man named Randy
    Puttin' down a well and doin' just dandy
    His well point hit a geyser of oil
    and now he has forty three new cousins, two baby daddies, three old girl friends that have shown up, a cadre of mothers with rented kids in tow, 164 lawyers with gauranteed investments, 145 bankers and the county tax man at his door.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

actually there is a bit of truth to that, a tiny bit. The state owned property behind me was involved in the largest mineral lease in michigans history. anyhoo it affected adjoining property owners in a positive way. Not to sure about the fracking process though, no activity yet.

Look at the bright side....

20 feet apart is about the right distance for poles for the volley ball net.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think your witchin' stick was a boulder pointin' stick.

I haven't gave up on a well. Been working on a cutter of sorts and going to attempt to cut through that hard stuff.

What ever happend to the guy that wanted everyone to carry a shovel in the BOB so as to "just dig" a well....ya otta get aholt of him.......LOL.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah.....he said it was simple and easy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yea, where is that fella? I hit water at three feet or so but I want something a little more permanent.

I tried my lower field hand pump while work around "The place", and seems the leather is shot again....pumps need to be used.
    Anyway, that's the 31 ft stock well, which I don't really use much since the deep well went in.

So note to all: If you have a pump with leathers in it, keep a gerry can or jug of of water, and at least dump some down the top of the pump, every so often, or it will dry and crack.
    Just wanted to see what kind of water I had as everything is dry up above, but I'm sure that I had gotten thru the top layer, into the water table.
    Guess I gotta change out the pump, (I have a spare) and re-build the bad one....again.

River is low, lots of marsh, wet lands looking dry in our area.....On our river, all the way down to the Wisconsin, but the Mississippi is running high....rain from different areas.

those darn leathers go bad with regularity. So if or when I get a well down, I'm going to turn out a well cylinder and install a drop pipe and sucker rod. That way I won't have a freezing concern or a dry leather concern.

Good idea, that would really solve a lot of problems.....all I have is a small pitcher pump and a check value......works but is a PITA to get it to run clean if you leave it sit.

Tried to find a gas powered jet pump, seems they are hard to come by....ended up picking up a "pump Jack" that the Amish use.
    It a machine that you can mount a small gas motor on and will work the sucker rod on a hand pump.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Motor drives a shaft with gears to run two elliptical drive gears, arms drive up and down in a circular motion....
    Never did hook it up.

Hunter, that's a cool set up. In case it hasn't been noticed I like old time gizmos and gadgets LOL. I have a old kick start maytag engine that may run that well. Not sure on horsepower though.

Yeah you can see where it fits on a pipe...the "V" castings in the middle.....attaches with "U" bolts...motor goes on the universial mount....I have a Clinton 3hp horzontial shaft with an old clutch on it I was going to use....just never got around to fitting it up.

Saw one running in the front yard of an Amish homestead, and asked the guy that built my cabin....he told me it was a pump jack, sold me this one.

Lot of people never even heard of it.......was hard to find even on Google
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-16-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: splin'

tip from a buddy with a hand pump on his farm....take your leathers and rub in a "good dose of vaseline" supposedly helps to keep em from crackin' and dryin out.
    D.O.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Durtyoleman View Post
    tip from a buddy with a hand pump on his farm....take your leathers and rub in a "good dose of vaseline" supposedly helps to keep em from crackin' and dryin out.
    D.O.M.
    I suppose that would help, but we are talking years......not sure how it would last.
    Always seemed funny to me that they wouldn't make them out of something that would last a little better....I mean leather?...What the heck?

Lanolin works better then Vaseline. A good drug store will have it.

I have a hand dug well on my place in west Texas that was dug in the 1870 's it's 12'X12' and 42 feet deep. The well has a current flowing in it with a large tunnel moving parallel to the ground. I guess it's more like a under ground spring. Glad I didn't have to dig it.

I was looking thru some older pics and found a pic of my driven well point, I have discussed earlier.....as you can see it was during one of the 2008-2009 floods, and at 31 ft, not sure how thw water would be.