Thread: Revamp

Default Revamp

Hi guys,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here. I’ve been doing some revamping of equipment and knowledge based on what you guys mentioned to me last time, and general logic of course.

I had poor knowlage in many areas and quite a lot of military looking equipment the last time I posted. Well I shed the Rambo look for a start and started planning more for Exposure rather than getting carried away in fantasy land.

The most important change I made was making three note books that I carry around on me all the time. I created one on edible and inedible plants in the UK, and I regularly go out foraging with the misses to collect food and identify more that I still haven’t tried (limited pages).
    The second book covers some but not all medical issues. Like my med kit and antibiotics and what they can treat, illnesses, symptoms, basic first aid, hypothermia and natural occurring medicines in weeds.
    The third is just a basic note book with my notes. Like when I’m out roughing it I write down things I learn or find like natural tinder’s etc..

As I mentioned above I’ve replaced my Rambo bag with a normal pack and I now have one in the car while also carrying a number of useful items on my person (mainly things I use every day and practice with).
    I won’t go through everything in the packs right now as I’m at work and there is a lot in there, but it would be good to post just to see what you guys could help me with.

I cool little item I bought not long ago was a compact synthetic stock air rifle. Was going to apply for a 22.lr but I really don’t want more paperwork at this stage of my life. 12g is useful but the cartridges bulky, so the air rifle has done me proud over the weeks I’ve been away. Collected a lot of small game and the pellets can be dug out on occasion and re-used.

Any way hope all is well, and appreciate all the advice as usual.

Will try and post my equiptment some time.

Congrats on your learning journey......lots of stuff to keep track of, and sounds like you have a system that works for you.
    Thanks for posting.
    Would like details of your gear...oh yeah, and pic's.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Glad to see you back. Revamping equipment is an eternal quest, I think. As you get older or something happens or you move then you change gear to accommodate your latest needs. Nothing at all wrong in that in my view. Almost mandatory.

With regard to the medical just make certain you have the training and skills to perform the tasks outlined in the manual. It's a lot faster and easier if you don't have to refer to it and that could mean a great deal with a bleed or sucking chest wound, etc.

Finally, understanding your rigid laws with regard to firearms I see nothing at all wrong with your choice. If it works for you then it's a winner.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks guys,

My medical knowledge is poor if I’m honest. Consulting a manual with a severe injury as you described is probably not an option at the time!

I will try and photograph and post my gear so you can take a look if you’re ever interested. I have a free weekend actually so it may be worth me doing one night as I want to make an itinerary.

One main reason for cutting down on the use of the shotguns is that I have tinnitus in my left ear. I'm use to it now so it’s not a huge issue, but no point wasting a 12g cartridge on a wood pigeon 30 yards away when I can hit with a pellet and not make a sound.

DMUK - Here is a thread I did on my trauma kit. This is way beyond a first aid kit but might give you some ideas that can go into a first aid kit that might have been overlooked. My wife is an RN so most of what I have has been cussed and discussed with her.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ghlight=trauma
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.