Thread: Wildlife Tracking in Indiana

Default Wildlife Tracking in Indiana

I would like to get into reading wildlife tracks, I think its pretty cool to be able to tell what kind of animal tracks you are following and be able to tell what the animals were doing. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on where a good place to start on this would be, whether it be books, vidoes or dvds. Also if anyone knows of places in Indiana that have some classes that would be great

Thanks

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska. I'm sure someone here will have some good suggestions.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Naturegirl - I always carry a camera with me when I'm hiking (mostly just day hikes anymore). If I run across tracks that are unfamiliar I photograph them and so some research when I return home. You can also carry a book/cards/bandana with you that has animal track info.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Since you don't say where you are in Indiana I can only give you some ideas.

1. If you have a location that offers Purdue Extension Classes see if they offer a class called Unit 1: Animal Diversity and Tracking.
    2. Check out Hoosier Trackers. They are located in Ft. Wayne. They focus on Search and Rescue but the principles are the same.
    3. Check out Indiana Outdoors Woman at indianabow.com. They are located in Lafayette. They offer Wildlife Habitats and Tracking and work with DNR.
    4. Check out the state parks that are close to you. I know Mounds SP in Anderson offered a tracking class earlier this year.

I hope that helps.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just Hangin' Out...

Look up "Fox Island County Park" near Ft. Wayne. Contact them, they often have classes such as you are looking for. The naturalists of the area can be found there quite often.
    "I don't know anything, and I can prove it just by opening my mouth...

I love the idea that "Two is one, and one is none." until I try to carry twice as much!

All I know is if you see any Hong tracks, ruuuuun, run for your life

You've been peeking haven't you? Really big hong tracks. Really, REALLY big tracks. Yeah, that's the ticket.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.