Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Field Gear

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Recommended Field Gear

This thread lists field gear that the forum members recommend. The gear can include survival supplies, food, camp gear, clothing, footwear, boats, transportation, or any other outdoor equipment. All the items recommended must be field tested by the member.

Stanley Outdoor Mug/Bowl

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

http://www.shopstanley-pmi.com/product/7056

I picked up one of these cups six months ago and I love it. I'm a coffee drinker and this cup holds 16 ounces and keeps it hot. The second cup is great for soup and holds 20 ounces. This is a good piece of gear for hiking or any outdoor activity.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Blog Entries

Default Tick Key

Tick Key

http://www.tickkey.com/

I picked-up one of these last year and used it twice. IT Works! It's made of strong aluminum and lightweight. A must for your first aid kit.
    "Just Get Out!"

Blog Entries

Default ATN Golden Eye Monocular

ATN Golden Eye Monocular

http://www.atncorp.com/atn-golden-eye-archived-product

I've owned one of these monoculars for years and it's a great lightweight tool. I purchased mine for about $40 and it's worth every penny. Very clear optics and a durable metal construction.
    "Just Get Out!"

Now that is cool...Thanks for posting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'll second the monocular. I picked up one on Phil's recommendation a year or so ago. Nice little tool.

MRS Pocket Rocket. My mostest favoritest stove. (followed by the Esbit)

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That tick key is pretty cool!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Blog Entries

Default Rome Waffle Iron

Rome Waffle Iron

http://www.pieiron.com/designs.htm

The Rome stove-top waffle iron is a classic kitchen and camp tool. After it's seasoned, it works like a charm.
    "Just Get Out!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    MRS Pocket Rocket. My mostest favoritest stove. (followed by the Esbit)

Rick, I've looked at that one very closely, as an eventual replacement for my much-loved and long-lamented Camping GAZ Globetrotter rig, of which I have two. (Camping GAZ went outa business, ya know, so the fuel cartridges are no longer available. I've only got about a dozen left, so when those are depleted... SIGH!)

It is a goodie for sure. Since my Sweetie and I plan to travel extensively in Europe over the next several years, my only problem is that MSR fuel cannisters aren't available across the pond. Instead, I'm beginning to salivate over the Optimus Cruz Lite Cooking System:

http://www.rei.com/product/769473/op...cooking-system

Better yet, if'n I kin find the Crux Lite Stove without the pot/pan, it'll fit into my much-loved Globetrotter pot/pan.

"See, dear? It wasn't a total loss!" ['Even though I bought the first GAZ Globetrotter outfit in 1987 and the second one, specifically for your personal earthquake/bug-out kit, in 1990.' But I'd never say those things in my outer voice...]
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-21-2012 at 06:08 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Daniel you may want to research what camping stoves are available for purchase in Europe.

The TSA is being real nitpicky about what they allow in checked luggage on international flights and I have heard reports of some hikers finding their stoves/fuel canisters removed from the packs when they get to overseas destination.

You might be better off buying a European model when you get off the plane, that uses local fuel canisters.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You big silly. You don't have to buy MSR. They are all the same threads. It's called a self sealing Lindal valve and it's the standard for all brands of IsoPro fuel canisters. I think the specification is called EN417. The system you referenced above uses the same 7/16ths threads and Lindal valve as the MSR.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Daniel you may want to research what camping stoves are available for purchase in Europe.

The TSA is being real nitpicky about what they allow in checked luggage on international flights and I have heard reports of some hikers finding their stoves/fuel canisters removed from the packs when they get to overseas destination.

You might be better off buying a European model when you get off the plane, that uses local fuel canisters.
    My point exactly. If they're in our checked luggage I don't have to worry about the stove parts because, by themselves, they're only chunks of metal. However, and TSA aside, ALL airlines are pretty picky about what they will and won't transport in their cargo holds. I don't blame them even one iota.

All I want is to ensure that I'll be able to find and purchase fuel cannisters for my stove once I've arrived in Europe. Your idea of waiting until we've landed in Europe to purchase a stove has considerable merit.

-- Nighteyes

You big silly. You don't have to buy MSR. They are all the same threads. It's called a self sealing Lindal valve and it's the standard for all brands of IsoPro fuel canisters. I think the specification is called EN417. The system you referenced above uses the same 7/16ths threads and Lindal valve as the MSR.
    Are you saying that MSR, Primus and Optimus Stoves can use the same cannisters???? If so, BINGO!!!

Yes, sir. They are standard throughout the industry.

Yes, sir. They are standard throughout the industry.
    Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I will be happy to dance at your next wedding -- as long as you promise to notify the Cal-Tech seismograph department in advance!

You see -- a 6-foot, 250-pound NDN doing any sort of dance has repercussions (literally)!
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-21-2012 at 06:52 PM.

You should be okay no matter what kind of stove you get as long as it's in the IsoPro line and a decently known name. There might be some oddball out there will a proprietary canister but they should all be EN417. Is you can't find MSR and they have Gigapower, Primus, Coleman, ALPSgas, Brunton, Optimus, OZ-mate, Jetboil, Hmmm. That's all I can think of. If in doubt just ask them if it has a Lindal valve. If it does, you'll be good to go.

yep. Same canister fits my Coleman F1. The stove weighs about 1 ounce.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Default Shovels

Here are two shovels and one hand spade that are built right.

US Military E-Tool: a proved work horse that can be used as a shovel and pick, it also has a cutting edge that makes short work of roots and saplings. Be sure to purchase the military version as the copies are not as strong.

Glock E-Tool: A bit lighter than the US E-Tool, it has a nylon handle. It can be used as a shovel, pick, and saw with the use of the saw attachment that is held in the handle.

U-Dig-It: This hand spade is very strong and a favorite with backpacker. Cheaper versions are not as strong but can be picked up for less money.
    "Just Get Out!"

The Gerber Sliding Sports saw is one of my favorites, too. It's really lightweight. The blade is about 6 3/8 long and when retracted into the handle it's about 8 inches long. Fits pretty well in the smaller pocket of my Alice pack.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Are you saying that MSR, Primus and Optimus Stoves can use the same cannisters???? If so, BINGO!!!
    Comin' to the party kinda late, but Rick is "spot on!" The Lindl valve has been put on just about every type of Butane/Propane combo cartridge. I have a Hank Roberts Mini Backpacker stove that uses Hank Roberts' cartridges...however they no longer make either stove or cartridge, but MSR, or even the Coleman Butane/Propane cartridge sold in Wally World work just as well! It's my understanding that this may have been demanded by some agency or other...or that just may be urban legend. What ever it is it's a blessing!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

The Gerber Sliding Sports saw is one of my favorites, too. It's really lightweight. The blade is about 6 3/8 long and when retracted into the handle it's about 8 inches long. Fits pretty well in the smaller pocket of my Alice pack.

I've got and used one...they're great. You can even get a Bear Grylls model if you like, however I like Basic Black!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin