Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something odd to add to your med bag

Default Something odd to add to your med bag

Well my friend and I were going through what I needed to add to my small medical bag. So he gave me some things out of his kit because I went down to Mexico and bought a bunch of antibiotics. Yeah come after me feds for buying penicillin. One of the things that he gave me out of his kit made amazing sense and I can truly see the purpose.

Maxi-pads. Yup. You got your period? That'll help with it. You got a cut that needs some covering after irrigating it and stop the bleeding but doesn't need sutures? Toss a ****ing maxi pad on that ***** and you're good to go.

What other odd items do you guys keep in your med kits?

A flask of Jack Daniels.

Kotex are actually pretty standard fair for a med kit. They are used to controlling bleeding so it's kind of a natural and not weird at all from my perspective.

I don't guess I have anything odd in mine. I've posted both my first aid kit and my trauma kit before an no one feinted so I guess it's all good.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I keep a saw in mine, you know, for amputations.

Feminine hygiene pads are not ideal and equally expensive as real stuff. They are designed to pull blood, as in super absorbant.

Be ing like they are they will pull blood long after a pressure dressing will have stopped it. You'll notice a dressing often has perforated plastic on it's face. Thats to stop blood movement so it can start to coagulate.

I just puked a little.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

P38 yup, the can opener. It was a suggestion at the outdoor leader training for girl scouts so you always have one, well they just said can opener, it is taped up inside some cardboard and after reading all the muli use ideas for the p 38 it doesn't seem so strange anymore.

Saran wrap and aluminum foil. Yep, small sheets, folded down into managable squares. Perfect for isolating areas that you are working on, and for stopping sucking chest wounds. Glucose tabs (due to many people being diabetic or having hypoglycemia). Smelling salts, electolyte salts, ipecac, activated charcoal, EMT one way mouth valve for artificial resusitation, small pieces of surgical tubing, dental temp filling, mirror & tools, a ton of hemostats, snakebite kit, epi-pen, magnifier and tweezers, blood pressure cuff (electronic and manual), pulse-ox meter, stethescope, field surgical and suture kit, etc.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

Not unusual in itself but, I carry a tube of AfterBite for insect bites and stings but as it contains ammonia it can also serve as a mild smelling salts-type thingy.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I find that people generally forget to include a sterile eye wash and artificial tears (or stronger) and yet there are so many opportunities to mess up your eyes. If you can't see, you're pretty much screwed.
    (Since I'm prone to eye allergies, I carry sterile artificial tear vials at all times.)

Carmex lip balm, can be used for relieve itching in a lot of places, as well as fire starting when rubbed on TP/kleenex/cotton balls......sorta a souped up VJ, in a small jar.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Don't laugh,but baby glycerin suppositories,while watching my grandson who was having problems going ,I stopped in the pharmacy and bought a small container of glycerin suppositories to help the little guy out,I have not tried to light one yet,but they are glycerin so I am thinking they will ignite,has anyone tried to start a fire with glycerin before?
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Do you light them before of after........never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I knew a guy that used a maxipad to stop a bleeding wound, and he said he all of a sudden got real grouchy and irrational. I'm not using those things

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Do you light them before of after........never mind.
    The fine print recommends not to use them for at least 48 hours after consuming Habaneros!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I knew a guy that used a maxipad to stop a bleeding wound, and he said he all of a sudden got real grouchy and irrational. I'm not using those things
    That's why you should include Midol in your FAK!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

I carry tampons they can be used to stick in deep wounds like bullet wounds of the extremities. I used them in Afghanistan and on other deployments.

I have a couple 25 gm Celox style coagulant and a couple large compresses with stretchy bandage. No feminine hygiene products so far.

I have heard that when putting kotex or tampons in first aid kits to use the standard not maxi's the maxi's will draw blood the standards will act as more of a absorbant bandage. In my first aid kit I also include Chayene pepper for helping clot, pine pitch for liquid bandage/fire starter, potassium permanganate for fungus and firestarter, glyserin for chapped lips and fire starter mixed with postassium permaganate. I try and make sure as many items as possible have multpile uses.
    Semper Paratus

Instead of carrying that stuff why not carry the real deal? Hemostatic agents or compression are waaaay better than black pepper, bandaids better than pine pitch, etc. PP is such a nasty oxidizer I won't carry it. Besides, it stains everything, even glass.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I leaving the tampons home as well,.....someone spent a lot of time outfitting my first aid kits, and I betting they know more about it than I do.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When we were working on the first aid merit badge, they had to construct their own first aid kit. One scout had a set of swimming goggles. When I asked him why, he said to protect his eyes when the blood is squirting all over the place.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee